NRL club funding agreement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
The NRL and the 16 NRL clubs today unveiled a new funding agreement which will help secure the future of the game at every level.

From 2018, the deal will deliver more than $100 million extra per year to the 16 clubs until 2022 and around $100 million more will be invested to grow the game from the grassroots to the elite competitions each year.

The landmark deal follows the $1.8 billion broadcast rights deal secured by the ARL Commission last week.

ARLC Chairman John Grant and clubs representative Bart Campbell said it was one of the most important agreements in the game's history.

"The ARLC sought to balance the need for strong and financially viable clubs with the need to invest to grow the game - and this agreement will help us achieve these goals," Mr Grant said.

"The new broadcast deal created a unique opportunity for the ARLC, the Clubs and the States to come to an agreement that secures the game's future – and we all agreed to take it."

Mr Campbell said the 16 NRL clubs were now in a position to invest off the field to build their capacity and capability and to become stronger and more professional than ever before.

"This agreement is a very significant milestone for the game of rugby league," he said.

"It has been reached after a robust but collaborative process that maintained a clear focus on ensuring the Clubs can be financially strong in the short to medium term and that investment can be directed to grow the game over the long term.

"The clubs and the Commission are now entirely aligned and our fans and sponsors can get behind their clubs with the confidence that we will be around for the long term."

Key elements of the funding agreement include payments to clubs of $1.5m each year from 2016 to 2022 to be directed to improving their operational capability and to driving commercial revenues, and a grant of 130% of total player payments from 2018 – 2022.

The ARLC and clubs will now sign a Memorandum of Understanding while the agreement is formalised.

The final package will include agreement on other non-commercial issues and will form the basis for each club to hold a perpetual licence to play in the NRL competition.

Mr Grant said that, with the agreement in place, the ARLC and the clubs can now focus on the future as one.

"We are now both intent on making the game stronger at every level… from the grassroots through to the elite levels," he said.

"This is a unique opportunity for rugby league and we are going to work together to make the most of it."

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-club-funding-agreement/tabid/10874/newsid/91081/default.aspx

Read Steve Mascord's piece in yesterday's SMH. Hits the nail right on the head about RL and its maladminstration over many decades.

With this additional monies coming to the clubs there is absolutely no excuse for clubs to then have to go to the NRL cap in hand asking for more money. As such the NRL should impose caveats that only a percentage of the monies can be spent on players. That is the only way you can secure long term viability within the clubs themselves.

I don't like the idea of perpetual licenses. It's great for manly, sure, but it may hinder my plan to banish the following teams from the nrl: parra, Melbourne, souths, Brisbane, Saints, Tigers, easts, Penrith, Titans, Knights, Gold Coast, cronulla, Canberra, Canterbury, Cowboys.

My vision includes a comp which features manly, nz north island, nz South Island, central Qld, combined Brisbane with feeder teams, Perth, north Sydney, wests, north ryde, west ryde; central coast, Hunter-port Stephens, south coast, inner west Sydney, Liverpool.

Last edited:
With this additional monies coming to the clubs there is absolutely no excuse for clubs to then have to go to the NRL cap in hand asking for more money. As such the NRL should impose caveats that only a percentage of the monies can be spent on players. That is the only way you can secure long term viability within the clubs themselves.
The Club admin monies are separate from the salary cap portion even now.

What the NRL don't want is Club's wasting their admin grants on non essential stuff like bigger fridges, cars for staff etc.

The Tigers, Knights, Saints and Gold Coast all went broke on wasting monies like that.

With a perpetual licence, the ARLC ensures a single competition. But they also remain the financial saviour to mismanaged Clubs :wondering:

No mention of Fans - the AFL actively attacked the cost of attending live games - free transport and fair food and drink prices :lightbulb:

More money from tv in the clubs hands is long overdue..It is the clubs that are generating all the media interest, not the administration...

Que Cam Smith saying players need more of the money, they are the ones who put their bodies on the line etc etc etc

The Club admin monies are separate from the salary cap portion even now.

What the NRL don't want is Club's wasting their admin grants on non essential stuff like bigger fridges, cars for staff etc.

The Tigers, Knights, Saints and Gold Coast all went broke on wasting monies like that.

With a perpetual licence, the ARLC ensures a single competition. But they also remain the financial saviour to mismanaged Clubs :wondering:

No mention of Fans - the AFL actively attacked the cost of attending live games - free transport and fair food and drink prices :lightbulb:

My concern is that this arrangement will overtime evaporate and that the monies will have no clear split between salary caps and admin monies. With more money coming into the game, player agents will (rightly) seek more monies for the players leading to more and more pressure on the NRL and the clubs which in turn leads to no differentiation between monies. It will start small with just 'marquee' players and then gradually be expanded out before there is no seperation at all. I have seen nothing in my time in Australia (since 2008) which would lead me to believe that either the boards of NRL clubs or the administration itself have the required strength and unity to see off challenges of this ilk from the players.

Well Shane Richardson has been tasked (and over compensated) to table a new Salary Cap System. @:cool:

I don't think that there is a real danger that the two pools of monies will merge.

The Clubs' coaching, training, marketing and admin costs are already inadequate though.
Whereas the Players' cap monies can be easily padded by Third Party input - at least in one Team Cities.:wondering:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6