NRL Competition Committee & Kangaroos Coaching

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
It hasn't been the best day for Donkeys coach Wayne Bennett.

Not only was he voted out of his spot on the NRL's Competition Committee with the coaching representatives now being Michael Maguire and Trent Robinson, but he has also been denied the Kangaroos coaching job with John Grant declaring that the job will go to someone with no current ties to a club or state side (which also rules out Meninga unless he quits the Qld job. Tooves is still a candidate though).

Personally, I'm not sold of the idea of any club coaches being on the Competition Committee. There is always a tendency to push for things that suit the way their particular clubs play and the way they coach. If they are going to have coaches on the CC then have all 16, not just two.

The good news about the Kangaroos job, is that it means that no NRL club coach can also coach the national team (and to me its not a knee-jerk reaction like those 2 idiots at RLW-TV think. Its common sense). The rule about Origin coaches has been in place since 1985 so nothing new there.

Not surprisingly the Queenslander's on FB are having a good cry about it lol. I swear the banana benders have an inferiority complex.

Competition Committee
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bennett-dumped-competition-committee/

Kangaroos coaching
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/knee-jerk-reaction-nrl/

It hasn't been the best day for Donkeys coach Wayne Bennett.

Not only was he voted out of his spot on the NRL's Competition Committee with the coaching representatives now being Michael Maguire and Trent Robinson, but he has also been denied the Kangaroos coaching job with John Grant declaring that the job will go to someone with no current ties to a club or state side (which also rules out Meninga unless he quits the Qld job. Tooves is still a candidate though).

Personally, I'm not sold of the idea of any club coaches being on the Competition Committee. There is always a tendency to push for things that suit the way their particular clubs play and the way they coach. If they are going to have coaches on the CC then have all 16, not just two.

The good news about the Kangaroos job, is that it means that no NRL club coach can also coach the national team (and to me its not a knee-jerk reaction like those 2 idiots at RLW-TV think. Its common sense). The rule about Origin coaches has been in place since 1985 so nothing new there.

Not surprisingly the Queenslander's on FB are having a good cry about it lol. I swear the banana benders have an inferiority complex.

Competition Committee
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bennett-dumped-competition-committee/

Kangaroos coaching
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/knee-jerk-reaction-nrl/
Toovey job done move on

That rules out Bennett, Meninga and possibly Craig Bellamy. The two candidates left are Geoff Toovey and Ivan Cleary. Come on Tooves!

Good. Got sick of seeing Waterhouse a year or two back, but don't mind Joel Cain though. At least he's got an NRL background and isn't an annoying turd.

And SeaEagle9413......it only rules out Bennett, Meninga and Bellamy if they all remain in their current coaching jobs. Word is that Mal might have coached his last game for Qld though because apparently he's going to apply for the Kangaroos job.

It seems that Bellyache, who did not put his hand up to be on the Competition Committee, agrees with most.

"It is a conflict of interest for a current coach to support a decision, such as last year's rules regarding the speed of the ruck, when those changes suit his team," Bellamy said. "I believe no current club coach should sit on the committee and the only active coaches on it should be the two State of Origin guys."

Interesting to note in the article by Roy Masters is that even though Wayne Bennett was ultimately voted out, the Donkeys still have a representation on the CC in board member Darren Lockyer who I am sure would push for what's best for Brisbane (and Qld).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tt-being-a-nrl-rulemaker-20151103-gkq5g0.html

Last edited:
Queensland already have majority of the people on the CC:

Todd Greenberg (NSW)
NRL CEO (???)
John Grant (QLD)
Tony Archer (NSW)
Trent Robinson (NSW)
Michael Maguire (NSW)
Darren Lockyer (QLD)
Cameron Smith (QLD)
John Lang (QLD)
Steph Hancock (QLD)
RLPA Rep (???)

At the moment, we have 5 Queenslanders and 4 NSW representatives. Bennett would have heavily weighed it to QLD. Don't forget, on percentage, there are 10 NSW teams and 6 teams from elsewhere. There is no NZ representative, and I would assume the RLPA rep will be Clint Newton (NSW), so it is 5 and 5 with the CEO to come. Other than there being no NZ representative, I see it as being fair that Bennett was removed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6