NRL deny snubbing Melbourne Storm, Billy Slater with Dally M Medal winner's ad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL officials deny snubbing Melbourne Storm, Billy Slater with Dally M Medal winner's omission from ad

NRL officials deny they snubbed Melbourne Storm or Billy Slater with their decision to ignore the Dally M Medal winner in the television ad to promote the 2012 NRL premiership season.

Every club is featured in the commercial unveiled at the NRL premiership season launch on Wednesday night, with Bon Jovi's This is Our House playing, but the only clear Storm presence is Ryan Hinchcliffe being smashed in a tackle.

An NRL official said on Wednesday the new ad was about highlighting the game's young talent and featuring the "spectacular" pieces of play from the 2012 season.

"You talk about selling entertainment, when you see moments like we saw last year it makes it pretty easy to find the sort of brilliance you are looking for," NRL marketing director Paul Kind said.

"The established stars are all in there, but a lot of the brilliance came from the youngsters."

The lack of Storm stars in the ad won't affect the Melbourne audience, however, with the promo to be shown only in New South Wales and Queensland.

Storm officials have believed to have opted once more against showing the NRL ad in Victoria, and have instead cut their own promo, which will be shown at the club's season launch on Thursday night.

it's good that we aren't the ones whinging this time. I have a feeling the current direction we are taking the club will mean much better sponsorship dollars going forward

When you are the only team in a major city, such as Melb and Bris, it makes greater marketing sense to produce their own ad that shows clips of their team performing well.
This is an ad for Sydney/NSW viewers. Stuff the Storm and Broncos who have the resources to do what the nine Sydney teams can't afford to.

I think it is disgraceful that the only footage of Melbourne they used is Hinchcliffe getting smashed.

The most spectacular footage involving Melbourne is clearly the below... (even though it was in 2010)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztKkkOF9A4[/video]

I still reckon there are enough great highlights from nearly all teams to make 3 versions of the ad and rotate that around. Sure it makes sense to slant the Melbourne version towards their team, same for Brisbane and Cowboys but that might only be one or two bits of Slatter brilliance.

It'd keep it fresh and be a unified marketing campaign in all states, not a renegade version that Melbourne might drum up.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6