NRL draws line in the sand: Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
sportRugby League17 Mar 09 @ 03:27pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN

PREMIERSHIP-WINNING coach Des Hasler has challenged the NRL to maintain its strict edict on player conduct, claiming Brett Stewart’s four-match ban has raised the bar for off-field standards.

The brilliant fullback was suspended for four games by the NRL for being drunk at the Sea Eagles’ doomed season launch.

He was also later charged with sexual assault, following an alleged incident in North Manly on the evening of Manly’s season launch.

The NRL subsequently suspended the game’s pin-up boy and fined the Sea Eagles $100,000.

Hasler now believes the NRL has set a strict precedent if players step out of line in future.

“If it’s a four-week suspension for being inebriated at a club function then four weeks is a tough call ... compared to some of the happenings in the past,” he said.

“If they are saying they have to make a stance then I guess they have made that stance.”

Hasler ruled out the club taking the matter further with the NRL despite some rumours surfacing that Stewart’s counsel will seek an injunction against the game’s governing body.

“We just have to accept what the NRL has adopted,” he said.

“We just get on with life.

“What my thoughts are matters little.

“It’s how David Gallop (NRL CEO) and the NRL board view it.”

Stewart continued training with his teammates on Tuesday as the Sea Eagles turn their focus to Sunday’s round two clash with the Warriors at Brookvale Oval.

Prop Jason King said having Stewart at training “is good for everyone”.

“He is one of our mates and he is here and working on his game for when he comes back,” the Belrose junior said. “He is a massive part of this squad and also a really good mate of everybody.”

Test front-rower Josh Perry will return to the Sea Eagles squad this weekend after missing the opening round loss with the flu. George Rose is the 18th man.

Wingers David Williams (shoulder) and Tony Williams are still three and two weeks respectively away from their returns.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/nrl-draws-line-in-the-sand-des/

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4