NRL expansion looks to be on hold

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would have liked to have seen expansion but it might mean a few things:

1. The death of the Central Coast bid and any hopes they have. The bid has been the longest running and must be losing money/support so, financially, it's a huge risk to keep it going for another 3 years minimum before they prepare to bring 2 teams into the competition in 2017/2018.

2. With 5 years of junior development the basis for expansion will be there talent wise.

3. The 16 current clubs will be financially secure, as will the NRL itself

4. Finally, the next TV deal will come around for renewal in 2017. By then News Corp are gone, the Commission has a chance to set up base, the clubs are secure, the juniors will be coming along nicely, and hopefully the rules will be better than they now. This will open up the avenue to welcome 2 new teams into the competition and also allow the NRL, not David Gyngall, dictate how and when games would be paid, and still get more money for the deal.

In the end, AFL were given too much. Their deal next time will stay about the same. We have room to grow still price wise, and will on the next deal. I just hope with the last rights relinquished we can piss Nine off next round. Gyngall has some nerve telling us that we need to put up or shut up because he's writing the cheque. Message for you Gyngall: if it isn't for the fans, you won't get any of that 500 million back in advertisements as we'll just stop watching the game and de-value them. Show us some respect or you'll lose the rights next time.

I would have liked to have seen expansion but it might mean a few things:

1. The death of the Central Coast bid and any hopes they have. The bid has been the longest running and must be losing money/support so, financially, it's a huge risk to keep it going for another 3 years minimum before they prepare to bring 2 teams into the competition in 2017/2018.

2. With 5 years of junior development the basis for expansion will be there talent wise.

3. The 16 current clubs will be financially secure, as will the NRL itself

4. Finally, the next TV deal will come around for renewal in 2017. By then News Corp are gone, the Commission has a chance to set up base, the clubs are secure, the juniors will be coming along nicely, and hopefully the rules will be better than they now. This will open up the avenue to welcome 2 new teams into the competition and also allow the NRL, not David Gyngall, dictate how and when games would be paid, and still get more money for the deal.

In the end, AFL were given too much. Their deal next time will stay about the same. We have room to grow still price wise, and will on the next deal. I just hope with the last rights relinquished we can piss Nine off next round. Gyngall has some nerve telling us that we need to put up or shut up because he's writing the cheque. Message for you Gyngall: if it isn't for the fans, you won't get any of that 500 million back in advertisements as we'll just stop watching the game and de-value them. Show us some respect or you'll lose the rights next time.

MWSE said:
Good! Talent pool is no where near big enough for another team let alone two!

Really.
We will have an influx of Northern Hemisphere players soon ie Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley etc due to the $'s.
Auckland players that previously played Union are trying out for the Warriors U20's.
Islanders coming through as well.

A successful comp will always have a plan to expand. So it is inevitable.
Atleast 4 area's should be targeted :
A second NZ team (that production line of players coming out of the 20's is scary)
A South Qld team (Capitalize on Companies that want to be involved with league in Qld but can't due to Bronco having certain sponsors)
A Central Qld team (huge Money involved both from Mining and Beef)
A Western Australian team (again huge money from mining)

Have heard that South Australia is about to get a mining boom as well so that'll get people from the Eastern States, New Zealand and England as well.

MWSE said:

Really.
We will have an influx of Northern Hemisphere players soon ie Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley etc due to the $'s.
Auckland players that previously played Union are trying out for the Warriors U20's.
Islanders coming through as well.

A successful comp will always have a plan to expand. So it is inevitable.
Atleast 4 area's should be targeted :
A second NZ team (that production line of players coming out of the 20's is scary)
A South Qld team (Capitalize on Companies that want to be involved with league in Qld but can't due to Bronco having certain sponsors)
A Central Qld team (huge Money involved both from Mining and Beef)
A Western Australian team (again huge money from mining)

Have heard that South Australia is about to get a mining boom as well so that'll get people from the Eastern States, New Zealand and England as well.

MWSE said:

I always find this argument interesting. It would seem logical, but I didn't notice a huge increase in quality when we went from 22 teams to 14 in a short space of time during the SL war. Did anybody else?

MWSE said:

I always find this argument interesting. It would seem logical, but I didn't notice a huge increase in quality when we went from 22 teams to 14 in a short space of time during the SL war. Did anybody else?

I imagine relocation of existing teams would still be allowed and that the 6 million carrot to relocate would still be on the table.

So the Central Coast Sharks could still be a possibility. Although the increased NRL club grants would probably be enough to relieve the financial pressure on most clubs and negate the need for this.

MadMarcus said:
MWSE said:

Bring back Tim Smith and Scott Dereau!

There's 2 halves

The Eagle said:
Bring back Tim Smith and Scott Dereau!

There's 2 halves

Craig Field and Jason Ferris could be the Bulldogs scrumbase pairing. I think the Bulldogs fanbase would really relate to them.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6