NRL farewelling players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I attended the NRL grand final yesterday and I was taken aback when the retiring players of the game were introduced to the crowd.

Under the Parramatta banner was none only that Choc Whatmough who played a total of 17 games and is an Eels legend. What a farce!!

I see that Killer didnt bother attending, that says a lot about Killer, he would want no fuss and we farewelled him at Brookvale which was a nice tribute.

The NRL should see how the AFL handle this on their grand final day. Surely they had to make sure that both Manly and the squeels were mentioned as he did play a few games for us and had success with us that the squeels can only dream of. Oh I forgot he is a Manly life member isn't he??

I'm afraid my dislike for the guy hasn't abated , but I also thought it in very bad taste that he was booed by the crowd yesterday.

Most of us agree he's a wanker ( sorry @marga ) for the stuff he said about us but he didn't deserve to be booed.

The same thing happened to David Gillespie, who came to us from the Bulldogs and retired at the 95 GF, when it was announced he was retiring after being brought up on stage to receive his runners up medal the Dogs crowd at the SFS booed him, for a guy who'd bled for their club it was disgusting ( understanding he played for us in that game).

By the way agree, feel every club they player has played for needs to show on the banner!!

Watmough was one of our all time finest players and I'll remember him for that. His dummy spit was childish at best and he needs a bit of growing up as a person. But as a footballer, he was outstanding and deserves the accolades for his efforts while he played for the Sea Eagles. Lets not remember him for his recent silly behaviour. Let's remember the warrior that helped Manly to two premierships.

Watmough was one of our all time finest players and I'll remember him for that. His dummy spit was childish at best and he needs a bit of growing up as a person. But as a footballer, he was outstanding and deserves the accolades for his efforts while he played for the Sea Eagles. Lets not remember him for his recent silly behaviour. Let's remember the warrior that helped Manly to two premierships.
Nah .. can't do it. Is a life member and it wasn't one dummy spit. He made it very clear over several months he wasn't a 'Manly Legend'... Hope he enjoys the parra commute. That's if they let him hang around next year and beyond.

Any idea what profession Whatnow could possibly follow?
He's certainly not articulate enough to get into the media. Mind you, Johns and Lockyer have been gifted top jobs at Nein purely because they could play football. Seems being able to speak properly and fluently is not part of their job description.

Nah .. can't do it. Is a life member and it wasn't one dummy spit. He made it very clear over several months he wasn't a 'Manly Legend'... Hope he enjoys the parra commute. That's if they let him hang around next year and beyond.

Look I agree he's said some really stupid things which he knows he cant now take back. Emotionally he's still a juvenile who is p.ssed because he didnt get his way.

But if we get things into perspective he did play 12 tough seasons and not far off 300 first grade games for Manly (and Northern Eagles) and was central to Manly's success.

Thing is he got his nose out of joint because of the Glenn Stewart issue and got the sh.ts with how Manly were handling recruitment. Nothing different from how most of the contributors on this forum are responding about Manly over the past few years. Yes he should have been graceful in his move, but we've always known Watmough is a hot head and prefers to react without thinking. Its in his nature.

I suspect in a year or two he will sheepishly return to the club. I doubt that he'll apologise...not his nature...but I suspect he'll find some way of repairing bridges. Its all about pride now. I suspect he's realised he's put his foot deeply into it but is too proud to admit it. So for now he's playing it ugly waiting for his chance to return as the potential prodigal son.

I found it very poor form they did not even mention Killer, even though he might not have been there. He is he going around again?

Whether we like him now or not for the way he left the club and his comments in the media after leaving, I can't forget that Choc was Tonka Tough SoB for Manly for 12 years (including 2002 with the Northern Eagles). 278 games, 2 premierships, a WCC win (2 tries that night), 14 Origins and 16 tests and all of it in the back row which is one of the toughest positions to play considering that these days most back rowers are 80 minute players.

Choc bled for this club, played through injury and basically busted his body with his full on playing style and although he could always be counted on to make a few dumb errors every game he turned into one of our best ever back rowers along with Beaver, Igor, Fatty, Gifty, Crusher, Mal Reilly etc.

Its a shame that it ended like it did.

That's ok @Mark from Brisbane He is still my favorite player, along with Bob Fulton. I didn't like the things he said on leaving Manly, but can understand to a certain degree. Believe me he does have a very caring and soft side and will always be a Manly legend to me. Don't worry about him after football, I am sure he will be fine, he's smarter than most give him credit for. I do wish they had Manly somewhere on the banner last night though. As you can see I am a little biased when it comes to Choc. Cheers.

Yep, David Gillespie played in the front row for Manly in the 1996 GF win and the 1997 GF loss which was his 92nd and last first grade game for us and his 253rd and last first grade game.

We had the same discussion last night about only the final club being on the banner, funnily enough it wasn't Watmough that prompted the discussion, but Glenn Hall. There were a few yesterday who were paraded under the logo of a club they played only a small part of their career at. Should have all of them listed, and it wouldn't hurt to have it printed underneath the club logo if they were part of a premiership winning side there.

Surely watmough will be part of the brains trust at parra next year with his insightful mind

Any idea what profession Whatnow could possibly follow?
He's certainly not articulate enough to get into the media. Mind you, Johns and Lockyer have been gifted top jobs at Nein purely because they could play football. Seems being able to speak properly and fluently is not part of their job description.
Believe it or not he owns quite a decent Japanese Restaurant in Surrey Hills.

Yep, I think the banner should have the logo of every club they've played for. They are meant to be celebrating a CAREER after all.
And for those who decline to or can't participate - pics on the big screen.
It's all so easy!

I like that manly players seem to boycott that little walk of shame. It was demeaning to see Corey Parker, it certainly wouldn't be the way I'd like to see killer bow out of the game.

Yeah agree with you there. That's using the term finest very loosely.

My bad re David Gillespie, thought it was the Bulldogs fans booing, nup those ****ing nufties from Newcastle!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6