NRL finals at home ground

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Cronulla Sharks take fight for a home semi-final at Southern Cross Group to NRL

CRONULLA chief executive Lyall Gorman will head in to NRL headquarters on Monday and plead for his club’s looming home semi-final to be played at Southern Cross Group Stadium — not Allianz Stadium or ANZ Stadium.

The NRL argues that small Sydney suburban grounds cannot handle big-time finals.

But Gorman wants a semi-final at Shark Park — as does Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan.

“It will be really interesting come those last couple of weeks,” Flanagan said.

“Melbourne get a home semi-final, Brisbane could get a home semi-final, North Queensland get a home semi-final, Bulldogs get a home semi-final, Canberra get a home semi-final.

Every team that earns the right to have a home semi-final would play at their home ground, except for us. It could happen like that.

“I think Lyall is in there (at the NRL) to state our case. If it happens, it happens, it would be nice to play here.

“The fans are turning up, they have been outstanding every game we have played here, there have been really good crowds. It would be a reward for the playing group for what they have achieved.”

Gorman said: “I’m not sure what the rationale has been in the past but ‘why not us?’ would be the question. And what would we have to do? There is still room for great suburban grounds.”

Even on Sunday, Cronulla attracted a crowd of 16,882 against Newcastle.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...l/news-story/1bd3fef5766c673696f82346e51bf017

Sorry to burst Gorman and Flanagan's bubble on this one but they are well wide of the mark.

The Bulldogs get a home Semi-final....yeah, because they play their home games at ANZ Stadium. Even with Greenturd in charge I couldn't see them getting to host a home Semi at Belmore (though at the same time it wouldn't surprise me.....).

"Every team that earns the right to have a home semi-final would play at their home ground, except for us." - This year maybe with the way the Top 4 is looking, but once again its crap. How many home Semi-finals did Manly earn over the past decade yet the NRL forced us to give up home ground advantage and play at the SFS against the Cowboys (and I think, but may be wrong, one game against Cronulla)...games that would have packed out Brookvale Oval even if it had been bucketing down and the temp was only 5 degrees, yet on perfect nights struggled to draw much more than 12,000 at Moore Park.

If the Sharks are given a home Semi at Southern Cross this year then it confirms two things for me. First that the NRL and Greenturd are a double standard with a clear agenda against certain teams and second, the NRL does not run the competition, Nein do.

It's a bloody disgrace that the Sharks won't get to play a home semi come September . It's happened to us previously where we have had to play at Moore park . The only clubs discriminated against are manly , dragons , panthers and sharks I believe. If your home ground is good enough to play during the year then at least give these clubs the well earned right to play their first final in front of their fans . It's hard enough to come first or second to then have that opportunity taken away by this corrupt system

I agree, but I guess if you're good enough you'll win anywhere, and they seem good enough this year! Having your fans behind you at home is great, but I reckon their fans will be only too happy to travel in large numbers for the semi finals. Sharks fans will pack out any ground if they make the big one!

You are looking at it the wrong way ... If they get one then we will get one

Very highly doubt we would get any favours from the NRL regardless if sharks get it this season. I would love to be proven wrong but the NRL & State Gov't are hell bent on playing out of 3 venues in the future

Won't happen - that would suggest there is some kind of planning or forethought in anything the NRL does. Best to keep using the knee-jerk, decide-on-the-spur-of-the-moment approach.

That's their equivalent of forward planning , don't you know?

Won't happen - that would suggest there is some kind of planning or forethought in anything the NRL does. Best to keep using the knee-jerk, decide-on-the-spur-of-the-moment approach.
Hence the word "should" and not "will". The way the NRL operates is a given.

I'm posting it here and starting a tread before attention is drawn to the important match this arvo. I'm in Perth so ... That is this evening over where **** matters.
In coming....

The Sharks are kidding aren't they? I think they're getting a little ahead of themselves.

I have zero sympathy for the Sharks. They have been handed countless lucky breaks after they're traitorous move of being the first Sydney Club to start negotiating with the super league scum.

The super league as most would attest to on this site would be the single worst thing that has happened to league in its history (OK, Scum Smith maybe) and it had the greatest negative effect on no one, but Manly.

The Sharks benefited from this (no trophies, just money) they blew it all, while we went through a **** period of having to pay **** players like Jason Taylor, Kimmorley, and Buettner. All while travelling to Gosford and watching us lose in the rain many a Sunday arvo at Brooky. No crowd, just a few Tooheys New's and a garbage bag.

I believe in that era (super league transition) Manly had many great players (Toovey, Kosef, Hill, Lyons, Hopoate, Serdaris, Menzies, King) some playing for Australia. These blokes would have taken a huge pay cut to stay in the ARL or would simply have cost a fortune to hold on to.

They own there own stadium, that **** hole in woollaware (I refuse to try and spell it right). How did that happen? They're the only team that owns they're own stadium having been broke constantly?

They rename the ****hole differently every season whoring it out to the highest bidder. These sponsors are sure to be "sponsoring" through TPAs one or many of they're, I'm happy to admit, talented imports - IMPORTS. YOU KNOW THE THINGS THAT EVERYONE HATES MANLY ABOUT.

Then they weasel the Sutherland "shire" (vomit) council into allowing a ridiculous residential development in a flood prone swamp for more money. Not to mention the 10 mill federal grant to upgrade the stadiumIN 2002.

Of course they squander this and resort to some weird and wonderful drug policy to try and win this illusive grand final. Of course, they are slapped on the wrist with a slightly heavier feather then used with the squeals currently.

Now they're a ****ing good team, no doubt, very few Cronulla juniors of course but spare us the whinging about home finals when Manly have copped it for the best (best being the operative word) part of 10 years.

As far as I'm concerned they can lose forever or until they front a press conference and apologies for putting the loyal (minus rorters - they're just ****ed) ARL clubs in such hardship.

I know many on this site would of had the horrendous experience of travelling to that ****hole on public transport from our home. What a nightmare? I distinctly remember travelling for 2 hours on a rainy March Monday to watch them go 14-0 up at half time with such bull**** tries you would not believe. Then T-Rex (in his better form) smashed that piss ant De Gois and he copped 8 weeks. If a bloke is less then 80 kgs and has a number on his back higher then 7 then **** him.

Of course I had to retire to the Sharks leagues and pass the emptiest trophy cabinet in history - I got a photo of the Amco Cup for a laugh. It pissed down all night. This was the 2012 season, we went a hell of a lot closer to winning the GFthen they did, of course.

Rant over. I will research some of my probably inaccurate statements in the future.

Go Manly.

Last edited:
The Sharks are kidding aren't they? I think they're getting a little ahead of themselves.

I have zero sympathy for the Sharks. They have been handed countless lucky breaks after they're traitorous move of being the first Sydney Club to start negotiating with the super league scum.

The super league as most would attest to on this site would be the single worst thing that has happened to league in its history (OK, Scum Smith maybe) and it had the greatest negative effect on no one, but Manly.

The Sharks benefited from this (no trophies, just money) they blew it all, while we went through a **** period of having to pay **** players like Jason Taylor, Kimmorley, and Buettner. All while travelling to Gosford and watching us lose in the rain many a Sunday arvo at Brooky. No crowd, just a few Tooheys New's and a garbage bag.

I believe in that era (super league transition) Manly had many great players (Toovey, Kosef, Hill, Lyons, Hopoate, Serdaris, Menzies, King) some playing for Australia. These blokes would have taken a huge pay cut to stay in the ARL or would simply have cost a fortune to hold on to.

They own there own stadium, that **** hole in woollaware (I refuse to try and spell it right). How did that happen? They're the only team that owns they're own stadium having been broke constantly?

They rename the ****hole differently every season whoring it out to the highest bidder. These sponsors are sure to be "sponsoring" through TPAs one or many of they're, I'm happy to admit, talented imports - IMPORTS. YOU KNOW THE THINGS THAT EVERYONE HATES MANLY ABOUT.

Then they weasel the Sutherland "shire" (vomit) council into allowing a ridiculous residential development in a flood prone swamp for more money. Not to mention the 10 mill federal grant to upgrade the stadium in 2002.

Of course they squander this and resort to some weird and wonderful drug policy to try and win this illusive grand final. Of course, they are slapped on the wrist with a slightly heavier feather then used with the squeals currently.

Now they're a ****ing good team, no doubt, very few Cronulla juniors of course but spare us the whinging about home finals when Manly have copped it for the best (best being the operative word) part of 10 years.

As far as I'm concerned they can lose forever or until they front a press conference and apologies for putting the loyal (minus rorters - they're just ****ed) ARL clubs in such hardship.

I know many on this site would of had the horrendous experience of travelling to that ****hole on public transport from our home. What a nightmare? I distinctly remember travelling for 2 hours on a rainy March Monday to watch them go 14-0 up at half time with such bull**** tries you would not believe. Then T-Rex (in his better form) smashed that piss ant De Gois and he copped 8 weeks. If a bloke is less then 80 kgs and has a number on his back higher then 7 then **** him.

Of course I had to retire to the Sharks leagues and pass the emptiest trophy cabinet in history - I got a photo of the Amco Cup for a laugh. It pissed down all night. This was the 2012 season, we went a hell of a lot closer to winning the GF then they did, of course.

Rant over. I will research some of my probably inaccurate statements in the future.

Go Manly.

Last edited:

And they also got a nice handout from the govt to upgrade their privately owned stadium also - beyond a joke

And they also got a nice handout from the govt to upgrade their privately owned stadium also - beyond a joke

Haha! Gold @MissKate !!

Try living in the area like I do, it's sheer misery watching their bogan supporters basking in their success.
The reality is, that very likely, this miserable club will remain unbeaten until they meet Melbourne in the last round.
They have had a very soft second half of the season run and escaped defeat against us again due to the video referee pulling back one of our tries.
Let's not forget, the finals are not played at Shark Park , or whatever it's called now

They probably blew it in sand bags at Kernell.

I have to give some context. I worked at Sydney Airport for 20 years commuting from our home and have had to deal with endless Up Up Cronulla rubbish.

I will admit they're fans are loyal. But, it's very easy to be loyal when expectations are mediocre.

They probably blew it in sand bags at Kernell.

I have to give some context. I worked at Sydney Airport for 20 years commuting from our home and have had to deal with endless Up Up Cronulla rubbish.

I will admit they're fans are loyal. But, it's very easy to be loyal when expectations are mediocre.
That Up Up Cronulla song would have to be the worst victory song in history

J
Try living in the area like I do, it's sheer misery watching their bogan supporters basking in their success.
The reality is, that very likely, this miserable club will remain unbeaten until they meet Melbourne in the last round.
They have had a very soft second half of the season run and escaped defeat against us again due to the video referee pulling back one of our tries.
Let's not forget, the finals are not played at Shark Park , or whatever it's called now

I feel for you mate. Although let's be honest it is a very nice area of Sydney. But, in rugby league terms only, they really need to have a loss or they just won't win the gf. I mean a real loss, not a lose on purpose because They can loss.

I think an experienced Melbourne, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Cowboys will knock them off in a finals.

And for the reasons I outlined in my rant, it's all they deserve.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6