NRL Finals VS AFL Finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NewwyEagle

I sleep in a racing car
Not sure anyone will care to discuss it, but I thought it'd be interesting to bring up the two competing codes during this finals series.
Currently living in Melbourne I'm experiencing the hype of the AFL finals, and I have to say they are light years ahead of the NRL in this respect. You only need to look at tonights matches to see the difference. Go to Suncorp to watch the refs ruin what could've been an enjoyable game, or go to the G to see the game come down to the last kick in the last second. There'll be no discussions about the umpires tomorrow, unlike the NRL.
When I watch NRL I usually feel a total bias towards certain teams from the commentators and even the code in general, but it's not the same in the AFL. Even last nights game where the dogs flogged the eagles was better than what the NRL gave us tonight.
Maybe I'm just annoyed because Manly aren't in the finals, but the AFL finals seems to be full of drama, excitement and emotion, whereas the NRL finals usually seem to be full of controversy, **** ups and blunders.
Thoughts? What can the NRL learn from the AFL in terms of September's product?
Btw, totally stoked to see the Hawks finally have some misfortune with late game goals. Finally.

Yes but Dogs pumped Eagles last night. Close games are always exciting regardless of code. Plus the amount of scoring opportunities in the AFL means it is less likely to be influenced by the odd umpiring blunder.
Yeah I addressed that, I said their pumping of the eagles was still far better than watching that crap we got from suncorp tonight. I'm so bemused with the NRL as an organisation. I fully understand why the NRL is a bit of a laughing stock down here, we seem to amateurish in comparison.

Not sure anyone will care to discuss it, but I thought it'd be interesting to bring up the two competing codes during this finals series.
Currently living in Melbourne I'm experiencing the hype of the AFL finals, and I have to say they are light years ahead of the NRL in this respect. You only need to look at tonights matches to see the difference. Go to Suncorp to watch the refs ruin what could've been an enjoyable game, or go to the G to see the game come down to the last kick in the last second. There'll be no discussions about the umpires tomorrow, unlike the NRL.
When I watch NRL I usually feel a total bias towards certain teams from the commentators and even the code in general, but it's not the same in the AFL. Even last nights game where the dogs flogged the eagles was better than what the NRL gave us tonight.
Maybe I'm just annoyed because Manly aren't in the finals, but the AFL finals seems to be full of drama, excitement and emotion, whereas the NRL finals usually seem to be full of controversy, **** ups and blunders.
Btw, totally stoked to see the Hawks finally have some misfortune with late game goals. Finally.
Got nothing else to add NE. Agree 100%. Watched both games tonight and left the NRL frustrated at totally inept decisions and felt totally entertained by a terrific AFL game.

There's many things to like about how the AFL's run. I don't follow it but, living in Darwin you can't dodge it so, I take an interest.
From an outsiders POV, it seems much more professionally run than the NRL, the crowd numbers have to impress. Other than the Essendon thing, the AFL do a great job of quelling scandal & trouble involving players. There's a lot of young blokes playing AFL, you can't tell me they don't get up to mischief too, they wouldn't be healthy if they didn't. The Swans player recently charged with cocaine possession, is not heard about now. They move on quickly.
But anyway, It's just the subject matter, AFL,
it's not my game, but always entertaining.

Nah gayfl won't ever be better than the Nrl finals no matter how bad the bloody refs are. Plus the 'umpires' have a much easier job, don't they just have to blow the whistle every two seconds if someone catches a ball. Gayfl will never be more entertaining than the nrl and is only to be cringed at due to the shocking 'contact' they have, soccer is tougher... Seriously! Two year old girls tackle harder then them.
G'day all,You are joking of course?Best tackle i've seen in any code this year was in a GWS v Geelong game by a bloke called Shane Mumford for GWS.As for your "gayfl"slur which i take to be some kind of juvenile attempt to question the "manliness" of the players,in their own way they are just as tough, fit and skillful,in many ways more so, as any NRL player.Anyway better get used to it because as a code they are streets ahead of what used to be called rugby league.And no before you question my "manliness"i've never played the game.
cheers mike

Agree with the comments about AFL, I'd also add that rugby union is light years ahead of the NRL in the officiating stakes as well. I've been given tickets to Waratahs games on a number of occasions, and the Bledisloe a few weeks back - while the game itself can be a penalty-riddled bore-fest at times, it's impressive a) how few errors the officials make on calls, and b) how good they are at playing advantage and not disrupting the flow of the game with poorly-timed penalties.

Of the three codes, the NRL is definitely the one scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as officialdom is concerned. And, like a lot of people, I'm not sure whether it's incompetence, or corruption hiding behind a mask of incompetence.

Last edited:
Agree with the comments about AFL, I'd also add that rugby union is light years ahead of the NRL in the officiating stakes as well. I've been given tickets to Waratahs games on a number of occasions, and the Bledislie a few weeks back - while the game itself can be a penalty-riddled bore-fest at times, it's impressive a) how few errors the officials make on calls, and b) how good they are at playing advantage and not disrupting the flow of the game with poorly-timed penalties.

Of the three codes, the NRL is definitely the one scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as officialdom is concerned. And, like a lot of people, I'm not sure whether it's incompetence, or corruption hiding behind a mask of incompetence.
In the area of officiating, the NRL refs have completely lost the plot. Why on earth they feel the need to call the players by their first names ("sorry Cam, you're right!") and warn players to get back onside etc. is beyond me.
Call them Number 9, and just penalise them - that's how they'll do the right thing and get a bit of respect back for the refs.
And as for that twit last night, I'm pretty sure some tech savvy person could make a youtube highlights reel of the fuzzbubble having the time of his life. It was crazy, he was smiling and laughing at critical moments #refonecstacy

Agree with the comments about AFL, I'd also add that rugby union is light years ahead of the NRL in the officiating stakes as well. I've been given tickets to Waratahs games on a number of occasions, and the Bledislie a few weeks back - while the game itself can be a penalty-riddled bore-fest at times, it's impressive a) how few errors the officials make on calls, and b) how good they are at playing advantage and not disrupting the flow of the game with poorly-timed penalties.

After last nights game you have to seriously wonder if its corruption hiding behind a mask of incompetence. I mean, the refs couldn't have been more biased if they tried.

I know I'm in the minority here but this topic just makes me ... SIGH..

Sometimes I think everyone on this website hates the NRL. If you dislike it soo much then stop watching it and stop coming on this site.

I don't think this is an AFL site ?

Sometimes I think everyone on this website hates the NRL. If you dislike it soo much then stop watching it and stop coming on this site.

I do not like the NRL. I only like Manly. I used to like watching any nrl game but if you enjoyed last night and you are not a rusted on broncos fan then good luck to you. Talking about the best run footy code in the country is relevant in a rugby leauge forum. Wether it is as a reference point or admiration.

On the contrary - I grew up on rugby league, and I hate what the current officialdom have done to what WAS a great game. I think it's a fair point to make that the NRL is losing ground against lesser sports because of mismanagement - and the casual fans who don't have much history with, or investment in, rugby league are the ones who will go elsewhere.

You've never cared about anything enough to want to make it better? To have it stand proudly above all the opposition?

Nah gayfl won't ever be better than the Nrl finals no matter how bad the bloody refs are. Plus the 'umpires' have a much easier job, don't they just have to blow the whistle every two seconds if someone catches a ball. Gayfl will never be more entertaining than the nrl and is only to be cringed at due to the shocking 'contact' they have, soccer is tougher... Seriously! Two year old girls tackle harder then them.

Great way to bring homophobic taunts into a perfectly reasonable and thoughtful thread mate.

So you have no interest in learning how to improve the code and learn from ppl who r doing it better?!?!

Great way to run a code there. Straight from the Greenburg handbook

Totally agree I'm afraid.

I live in Richmond at the moment - I could literally hear the 90k crowd from my lounge room

The city is abuzz, even for the Sydney derby! My local, the London tavern, r expecting a full house for that game.

I didn't grow up on AFL, but I must admit, they run things fairly well - no doubt the NRL could learn a thing or two if they bothered to try

As a Carlton Blues fan I can concur with your last statement about Hawthorn and the misfortune they suffered last night.

The AFL has kept the tradition of their game intact and added teams from other states to make it a true national competition.

They embrace their game and is a great spectacle to enjoy. They also have much more family friendly time slots to watch the games.

The NRL is a knee jerk organisation which is a prisoner to a media empire where clubs who have that empires investment continue to benefit in relation to their draw, time slots and refereeing ect compared to the other clubs who get the scraps.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4