NRL leaves door ajar for Henjak

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL leaves door ajar for Henjak

Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:01 PM

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/7905/Default.aspx

The door has been left ajar by the NRL for disgraced Western Force halfback Matt Henjak to switch codes.

Henjak was sacked by the Super 14 team on Tuesday night after a disciplinary committee found him guilty of breaking the jaw of team-mate Haig Sare.

That decision was rubber-stamped by the Australian Rugby Union on Friday.

A history of alcohol-related incidents ensures Henjak's future lies in rugby overseas or switching to rugby league.

His manager Greg Keenan began shopping Henjak around to NRL clubs this week, receiving a luke warm response.

But NRL chief executive David Gallop said in Brisbane that if a club made an approach to Henjak, the league would consider his case.

"We certainly want to have a look at addressing the issues that he obviously has got," he said.

"But at this stage we will wait and see if one our of clubs goes forward with an approach to him.

"I wouldn't rule it out (Henjak playing NRL) but we want to know how he is addressing his personal issues."

Gallop was confident NRL clubs were doing enough to stamp out similar alcohol-related incidents.

"It's unrealistic to expect that there won't be these types of incidents from time to time - young blokes in any code are going to make mistakes," he said.

"The pleasing thing for us is that our clubs have got in and not only stepped up the education of younger players but also where necessary we have seen players penalised, contracts terminated.

"Clubs are realising that these matters need to be dealt with appropriately.

"I think rugby league is doing a reasonable job on that front."

Henjak is reportedly set to be thrown a lifeline by a rugby side in Europe with three clubs in England and France expressing interest.
Source: AAP

Rumour has it Henjak will go to Canberra and Todd Carney will go to Penrith.

TODD CARNEY'S expected signing with Penrith may prompt Canberra to offer disgraced Western Force halfback Matt Henjak a lifeline for next season.

With Henjak set to be sacked by the ARU after being involved in a drunken fight with a teammate, his manager, Greg Keenan, spent yesterday shopping the nephew of former Raiders and current Broncos assistant coach Ivan Henjak around to NRL clubs.

But with boom rookie Jarrod Sammut set to sign an extension of his current deal with Penrith as soon as today - despite a late pitch from the Warriors to sign him as a replacement for injured fullback Wade McKinnon - and speculation that Carney will sign a long-term deal with his former coach Matthew Elliott's club, the Panthers are unlikely to have any room for him under the salary cap.

Keenan yesterday telephoned Penrith official Peter Mulholland regarding Henjak, and the former Western Reds coach broached the issue with general manager Mick Leary. Leary ruled out signing Henjak for this season, despite a shortage in the halves, and said it was \"almost out of the question\" he would be offered a deal for 2009 and beyond.

Canberra are more likely suitors for Queanbeyan-born Henjak, who played rugby league in his early teens. The Raiders are expected to be on the lookout for another halfback, with their star Carney almost certain to join Penrith on a three-year deal.

While Furner sees Henjak as more a league hooker than halfback, the loss of Carney would free up significant money.

Still, the fact the Raiders have abandoned their premier league outfit in the wake of the introduction of the under-20 National Youth Competition complicates the issue further.

That makes it all the more unlikely Henjak would be approached for this season, and even if he were to sign for 2009, the club would be loath to pay top dollar for a player who still needs to learn the game.

\"The timing for him couldn't have been worse,\" Furner said. \"I don't know Matt as well as I know his father - maybe some day it's going to be different. It's certainly unlikely for this year, but a maybe for 2009.\"

Cronulla, Wests Tigers and the Roosters ruled out making bids for Henjak, although St George Illawarra chief Peter Doust left the door ajar: \"I haven't had any discussions, and I don't know anything about the situation, so I don't have any comment.\"

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said: \"We'd never say never, but it's highly unlikely.\"

The Bulldogs have the most money available, have their starting hooker Corey Hughes off contract and lost their halfback Brent Sherwin to English club Castleford last year.

The issue was discussed as high as chairman George Peponis yesterday, however, as one club insider said: \"We don't need a player with his history.\"

South Sydney, in the past a hostel for troubled souls, issued a \"categorical no\".

Sammut, meanwhile, will meet his manager Allan Gainey today, after which he may agree to an upgrade of his 2008 contract and a two-year extension.

The Warriors, after losing McKinnon for the season, threw a spanner in the Panthers' bid to re-sign their prospect, with Gainey confirming he had asked about a release after discussions with the NZ side's CEO, Wayne Scurrah. However, it was quickly rejected.

\"There's no way we'd be letting him go,\" Leary said. \"We want to give him an upgrade so he could be a full-time player and give him an extension on top of that. We're expecting an answer [today].\"

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news...467180831.html

SF08 link said:
The Bulldogs have the most money available, have their starting hooker Corey Hughes off contract and lost their halfback Brent Sherwin to English club Castleford last year.

The issue was discussed as high as chairman George Peponis yesterday, however, as one club insider said: \"We don't need a player with his history.\"
Right!  ::) 

Being a Queanbeyan lad will put him in favor with the Raiders but I don't think they will replace one dickhead for another. Furner plays a straight bat and only local loyalty gives him any chance.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2