NRL must do justice to Steve Menzies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IT would cost absolutely nothing.

It is common sense and would thrill thousands of genuine rugby league fans ... the NRL should include the 69 games and 29 tries Steve Menzies racked up between 2000 and 2002 to his Manly Sea Eagles record.

To all in the game he is a fiercely loyal, proud one NRL club player.

Read More

IT would cost absolutely nothing.

It is common sense and would thrill thousands of genuine rugby league fans ... the NRL should include the 69 games and 29 tries Steve Menzies racked up between 200
SteveMenzies111.jpg
0 and 2002 to his Manly Sea Eagles record.

To all in the game he is a fiercely loyal, proud one NRL club player.

But officially the legendary Beaver isn’t according to those handful of men in the game who seemingly set their own rules — the game’s statisticians and keeper of records.

They have ruled that Menzies three seasons at the defunct Northern Eagles can’t be used in his all time Manly record — despite the fact that the Manly club ruled before the Northern Eagles took the field that all games and tries would be simply a continuation of their Manly career.

The Manly Warringah District Rugby League Club has written to the game’s governing body asking that the wrong be set right. So far nothing has come of the request.

But what better time to revive it and fix the issue for all time than right now.

IN THE SPOTLIGHT

THIS weekend the spotlight will be firmly on the great man at aged 40 when he again turns out in the maroon and white — the colours worn first in 1947 by his grand father Mackie Campbell in Manly’s inaugural team.

His — at this stage- one off return appearance has enabled the inaugural Nines to capture much more media attention than it would have without his appearance.

As always with Steve Menzies it is positive attention. He left with the team on Thursday with the face and the upright body of the fresh faced youngster who debuted for Manly in 1993.

Now 523 games and an incredible 238 tries later he is having yet another weekend away with the boys!

How special he is. It isn’t much to ask that his record be altered to show 349 games for Manly and 180 tries...... The most by any forward in the history of the game. Menzies never left Manly, never left the peninsula. The club he played for amalgamated in an ill fated joint venture where the rules were upfront an open from the start.

NO BRAINER

IT would mean a lot for Menzies and for Manly if the NRL stepped in and settled a dispute which has bubbled beneath the surface for over a decade now.

It is a no brainier for the administrative body of the game. It is a stroke of the pen. A media announcement of significance and there is simply no down side.

Even fans who absolutely hate Manly admit they admire and respect Steve Menzies.

What a way to start a new season for the NRL. Give Beaver the official record he has earned — it isn’t too much to ask for an ornament of the game.

Peter Peters
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/zorba-nrl-must-do-justice-to-steve-menzies/story-fngr8iii-1226827434378

"Even fans who absolutely hate Manly admit they admire and respect Steve Menzies."

This really resonates with me. Even mates of mine who are the most rabid anti-manly fans you would ever meet say 'oh except Menzies'. This man should stand in the pantheon of NRL greats over the last 20 years. Now I'm putting names down here based on on-field performance, but names such as Fittler, Lockyer, Johns, should have Menzies belongside them (they should also have Killer up there but one step at a time).

At worst I cop not counting the 2000-01 Northern Eagles but the 2002 team has to count as it was MANLY. The NRL demanded the 2002 team be called NE but it was only Manly. The JV lasted two years not three. If Manly can't count 2002 as it wasn't called Manly the Roosters who won last year aren't the Roosters than won in the 1970s.

To be recognised by the NRL these days, you have to go join Rugby Union, be a boxer, be on more than 600K a year and play/played for Dogs/Roosters/Souths/Melbourne

Fluffy said:
Simple problem, he didn't do drugs.....

Maybe the issue is he isn't one of the fallen heroes, and people love people who climb the heights and fall low, and rise back up. That's the problem with Menzies, he's just sailed through his career with zero controversy. There's just been this reliable, professional, wonderful attitude which has continued year after year after year.

Another reason why I hate the Storm, we had to lose a legend like that, a legend that should have well over 400 games with us.

The St George/Illawarra Players have their records all inclusive, so the precedent is set.

The 'Northern' is merely silent, in the name Manly Sea Eagles :cool:

The NRL in 2008 denied the beaver a Sunday afternoon game for his last home game against the Titans ad you guessed it we played on bloody Monday night.

Where as El Masri was given a Sunday send off as was Hindmarsh.

The NRL would not know a feel good story unless it bit them in the ass.

The Beaver is everything that game should be about. Loyalty, endurance, fitness, toughness and resilience.

I was a pleasure to watch his career ad he stood loyal during the dark years of the NE.

We Eagles fans have been truly blessed to have him at the club and now he will influence the kids coming through the ranks.

HappilyManly said:
The St George/Illawarra Players have their records all inclusive, so the precedent is set.

Are you sure about the St Merge records ?? I don't think they count as St George records as far as I'm aware. A couple of commentators still like to carry on like they are one in the same, but I'm pretty sure from an official record / statistics point of view they are two different entities, as they should be.

"Card nights with the boys at Menzies place"

Menzies can take credit for helping create the best bunch of mates at Manly. A tight unit. Everyone loving everybody else's company.

His legacy continues ...

Steve has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He commands respect from other players, fans of other teams, English league supporters and the rugby league and sports in general communities. He will never be forgotten by anyone that follows the game.

The freakish amount of quality time he spent on the field during his career is outdone only by his humbleness and good sportsmanship. You don't get many players like Steve Menzies. He is in the top echelon of rugby league players of all time. He has nothing to prove because everyone is already very aware of his prowess.

Enjoy the 9's Steve!

Haha Tariq Sims just said Menzies was his childhood hero, if he plays against him in the 9's he might be starstruck "if I tackle him I might not let go"
lol

silvertail said:
"Card nights with the boys at Menzies place"

Menzies can take credit for helping create the best bunch of mates at Manly. A tight unit. Everyone loving everybody else's company.

His legacy continues ...

If only the boys got together and hoovered up a truckload of ice, then went on a drug-fuelled rampage, finally ending in rehab. Then maybe he would've got the send off he desrved and become an immortal . :p

Brissie Kid said:
At worst I cop not counting the 2000-01 Northern Eagles but the 2002 team has to count as it was MANLY. The NRL demanded the 2002 team be called NE but it was only Manly. The JV lasted two years not three. If Manly can't count 2002 as it wasn't called Manly the Roosters who won last year aren't the Roosters than won in the 1970s.

The Roosters have always been the same club - they have never merged, they have only changed name, which really doesn't count.

Chip and Chase said:
HappilyManly said:

Are you sure about the St Merge records ?? I don't think they count as St George records as far as I'm aware. A couple of commentators still like to carry on like they are one in the same, but I'm pretty sure from an official record / statistics point of view they are two different entities, as they should be.

St.George, Illawarra, & St. George Illawarra records are all officially counted as being seperate. As they should be.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8