NRL press release

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
Apparently there will be nothing announced by the review committee until after around 1pm today.

In the cold hard light of this incident I've come to the belief that:
Glenn and Blair should get two weeks, and all others receive a warning.

I do not blame the Storm reserves from getting involved - you must protect your mates.
Likewise, all the Manly and Storm players who became involved.

However, I do think the Melbourne trainer who got involved may be in strife. Again he was protecting his 'own' but I've seen trainers at junior matches wiped out for trying to separate fights. They have the best interests of the players at heart, but it is a no-no in the eyes of the NRL.

Typical, delay everything! They probably want every camera angle available and awaiting for some wooly haired lawyer and lazy NRL administrator to return from their Golf or fishing weekend away.

It's like everytime we score a simple try, the ref has to send it to the video ref to find a way to disallow it.

The Who said:
In the cold hard light of this incident I've come to the belief that:
Glenn and Blair should get two weeks, and all others receive a warning.

I do not blame the Storm reserves from getting involved - you must protect your mates.
Likewise, all the Manly and Storm players who became involved.

However, I do think the Melbourne trainer who got involved may be in strife. Again he was protecting his 'own' but I've seen trainers at junior matches wiped out for trying to separate fights. They have the best interests of the players at heart, but it is a no-no in the eyes of the NRL.

This is all it deserves, but there is no way in the world it will happen. With all the media sensationalism and hype surrounding the fight the NRL will come down hard on them. Glenn and Blair will be rubbed out for the year and then some. Other penalties will range from 1 to 4 weeks. Our only hope is that the match review committee can look at this rationally like Fittler and Johns did on the footy show, however, I don't like our chances of that happening.

I believe in this situation it would be better to fine players rather than suspend them. A significant hit to their pocket will do the trick and it won't derail the chances of the top two teams. I get that it was ugly, but no one was hurt, and the majority of fans actually enjoyed it. The players were sent off, so lets leave it on the field and get back to looking forward to finals footy.

The real joke is that the media keep banging on and on and on and on about it and how bad it is for the image of rugby league. Yes well stop banging on about it then. I have yet to read a review of the game yet, all the so called 'sports' journos have done it talk about the fight. They are the ones sensationalising it all and should just get back to reporting on sport.

If they suspend players for running in to separate combatants then they will set a dangerous precedent that the NRL cannot afford. What will happen when there is another brawl which inevitably there will be. Everyone will stand back and watch the players bash each other senseless?????? They have to step in and separate the brawlers and ONLY the players can do this not the officials or the trainers. If they fine and/or suspend Snake,Foran, Robbo and Choc for running in then they must do the same to every player that came into the melee in both instances and they must do it for the altercations on Saturday night as well. They cannot do anything but suspend players for throwing punches which will be Blair ,Hinchcliffe, Gift,Lussick and maybe but not conclusive Snake.

I sent the following protest to the NRL:

I am extremely concerned that the NRL will suspend most of the players involved in last Friday night's incident in the match between Manly and the Storm. Why would this step be taken when the NRL has already taken the precendence in every State of Origin series allowing players from both sides to rush into an altercation without any penalty? Some of the players from Friday night were involved in the SOO series and know they are allowed to do it so why change the rules for club games? I have purchased tickets for this weekend's Broncos vs Manly game as well as the finals series based on the strength of the current form shown by Manly. If the NRL hand out mass suspensions from this incident (in which no one was hurt and occurs in nearly every SOO series)I will consider selling my tickets in protest as I will not be getting value to support the same team that I have supported each year. Do what is right for all NRL supporters and allow teams to field their strongest teams, not a 2nd rate team decimated by suspensions!

And the NRL's response was:
Thanks for your email. We certainly understand your concern. We take this matter seriously and there are thorough investigations going into three aspects of the match. Firstly the incidents of fighting involving the players, then the breaches around benches, and lastly, the overall conduct of the clubs.

Rugby League has maintained a strong policy in relation to violence and will continue to do so.

The incidents that occurred certainly do not reflect the way the game is played and the reason it has attracted attention is that it is so out of the ordinary.

All matters must be looked at fairly and through proper processes and that is what is happening today. Any outcomes will be publicly announced.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback to us. We value your comments and will ensure they are registered and passed on.

Have your voice heard and contact the NRL to let them know what you think!!!!!!!!

Eagle Eyes said:
I sent the following protest to the NRL:

I am extremely concerned that the NRL will suspend most of the players involved in last Friday night's incident in the match between Manly and the Storm. Why would this step be taken when the NRL has already taken the precendence in every State of Origin series allowing players from both sides to rush into an altercation without any penalty? Some of the players from Friday night were involved in the SOO series and know they are allowed to do it so why change the rules for club games? I have purchased tickets for this weekend's Broncos vs Manly game as well as the finals series based on the strength of the current form shown by Manly. If the NRL hand out mass suspensions from this incident (in which no one was hurt and occurs in nearly every SOO series)I will consider selling my tickets in protest as I will not be getting value to support the same team that I have supported each year. Do what is right for all NRL supporters and allow teams to field their strongest teams, not a 2nd rate team decimated by suspensions!

And the NRL's response was:
Thanks for your email. We certainly understand your concern. We take this matter seriously and there are thorough investigations going into three aspects of the match. Firstly the incidents of fighting involving the players, then the breaches around benches, and lastly, the overall conduct of the clubs.

Rugby League has maintained a strong policy in relation to violence and will continue to do so.

The incidents that occurred certainly do not reflect the way the game is played and the reason it has attracted attention is that it is so out of the ordinary.

All matters must be looked at fairly and through proper processes and that is what is happening today. Any outcomes will be publicly announced.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback to us. We value your comments and will ensure they are registered and passed on.

Have your voice heard and contact the NRL to let them know what you think!!!!!!!!

hope u dont mind mate
but i just copied and pasted ure email and sent it too them.

its the sort of thing theyd do.

mickqld said:
If they suspend players for running in to separate combatants then they will set a dangerous precedent that the NRL cannot afford. What will happen when there is another brawl which inevitably there will be.

Gallop has proved in the past with his handling of the Brett Stewart/ Todd Carney matters that precedences mean nothing. He makes the rules up as he goes along.

[/quote]

hope u dont mind mate
but i just copied and pasted ure email and sent it too them.

its the sort of thing theyd do.

[/quote]

No problems..the more who do this the more pressure is applied to the NRL, make it viral and may common sense prevail!

I think because of the media beat-up we'll likely see a few players suspended on both sides and both clubs fined. Let's hope it's not another kneejerk decision where players are handed lengthy suspensions. I've got a bad feeling on this and I'm afraid our 2011 campaign could be derailed.

If I were Stewart or Blairs defence team I would turn up with videos of thiaday and ask why was he not cited or suspended for all his previous 3rd man actions. He is called Thirdman Thaiday for a reason. I like the fact that news ltd can't punish us without hitting Melbourne so we could see a lenient suspension of glen and darcy along with hinchcliff huxtable and blairy the fairy and a warning for the rest

It is not the media running the nrl and their bigotted opinions should not influence how players and clubs are penalised. Surely gallop learnt that much from his previous knee jerk reaction.

conanu said:
If I were Stewart or Blairs defence team I would turn up with videos of thiaday and ask why was he not cited or suspended for all his previous 3rd man actions. He is called Thaiday for a reason. I like the fact that news ltd can't punish us without hitting Melbourne so we could see a lenient suspension of glen and darcy along with hinchcliff huxtable and blairy the fairy and a warning for the rest

I agree - third man in Thaiday is never punished ... every week he gets the lecture after running in from the refs " dont escalate it...let us handle it...next time well penalise you " - Sam just nods his head yes sir, yes sir ..then does it again next week.

1:30 PM David Gallop to speak

They are saying on foxsports that possible 12 people ( players and officials) are going to targeted

Not sure when official press release is going to happen

As predicted these are not going to be lite sentences i think

MissKate said:
It is not the media running the nrl and their bigotted opinions should not influence how players and clubs are penalised. Surely gallop learnt that much from his previous knee jerk reaction.
I wish you were right Kate but news ltd run the game and they own the papers. It is rubbish and until it is independent nothing will change

3rd man in is what they dont like and punish. In this case, glenn, blair and brett will cop it the most.

Because brett came in with a flying punch, expect him to probably cop the worst of it all, if he doesnt, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6