NRL proposed contract 'cooling off period' rule change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Players will be given a maximum 10 day "cooling off period" for any contract they sign under a new rule proposed by the NRL.

Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said the current rule, that was introduced to allow clubs until round 13 to retain players who have signed with a rival club, will be scrapped.

Instead, a contract signed with a rival club will be registered once a 10 business day cooling off period expires.

Mr Greenberg said fans and clubs were frustrated with the "round 13" rule because it can create uncertainty and speculation for a long time after a contract has been signed.

"I think everyone agrees it is unseemly to have months of speculation about whether a player is going to a rival club," he said.

"Our view is a 10 day cooling off period is an acceptable solution for all involved."

The introduction of the new rule is subject to further consultation and approval from the Rugby League Players Association.

If approved, it will stipulate that:

• A player may sign an extension of his contract with his existing club at any time
• A player may sign with a new club only during the final year of his contract
• A 10 business day cooling off period will apply to all contracts
• A club signing a player is prohibited from making an announcement until the cooling off period has expired

Mr Greenberg stressed that the proposed new rule will be an interim measure pending the outcome of Shane Richardson's "whole of game" review.

I like - first sensible decision to come out of the NRL in lord knows how long

The rule is a step in the right direction. The only issue, is that speculation about a player could run for a whole season, as they are allowed to negotiate throughout the whole final year of their contract.

Still would like a transfer window introduced.

The only decision to be made. Dce contract absolutely farcical. Stringing two teams on like this is not cool. Even if it is for retribution, he is hurting fans of both clubs. Has a smell of ego. Best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• 👎
Reactions: Rex
The only decision to be made. Dce contract absolutely farcical. Stringing two teams on like this is not cool. Even if it is for retribution, he is hurting fans of both clubs. Has a smell of ego. Best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I don't get retribution. He's not the leader of North Korea.

Its a better solution than what is now but yet again the people at the NRL are showing yet again how re-active and not pro-active they are

It is a step in the right direction but it needs to go further.

The folly of players signing a deal with a rival club at the start of a season is madness as it forces great angst between that player and the existing clubs members, We have seen that with Foran and soon most likely DCE.

I would rather see a rule that any transfers to rival clubs can only occur when the clubs season officially ends and a transfer window that goes to the end of a year which gives clubs plenty of time to get it all done.

We need to start a pre-season and season without this damaging and endless speculation.

The rule is a step in the right direction. The only issue, is that speculation about a player could run for a whole season, as they are allowed to negotiate throughout the whole final year of their contract.

Still would like a transfer window introduced.

Trouble is a transfer window won't stop negotiations going on, as per the old June 30 deadline.

So many players announcing new deals in the first week of July, similar to how Foran wasn't going to speak to any other club until he decided he wasn't going to stay, then made up his mind when he woke up one morning and somehow had a deal negotiated and TPAs all sorted out before turning up at training that same morning.

Fans need to know before the Season starts, as the uncertainty of a Player's focus being on playing, as opposed to negotiating till round 26, still remains with this rule @:cool:

How are the NRL going to stop the Media speculation of signings?
We all knew and had multiple newspaper stories on Foran signing with Parra, way before Parra announced it officially.@:rolleyes:

Greenturd has gone off half cocked as per usual :cool:

Last edited:
But what about the club forums? People will actually have to talk about football... INSANE!!! At least the Cherryagraph will always be number one, another victory to the Sea eagles.

So will it come into effect before Super Richo announces his changes???? I cant find a start date.

Chalk this up to another rule change when Manly look like benefiting from it.
1. Benefit of the Doubt = Manly Changed it
2. Obstruction Rule = Manly Changed It
3. Round 13 Rule = Manly Changed it
4. Home Semi's at suburban grounds = Manly Changed It

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4