NRL season 2016 just days away and club memberships are at an all time high

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
365b986cdd4dad769e3f67334d489521.jpg

JUST four days away from the NRL season opener, anticipation from fans is at an all-time high with the NRL experiencing a 12 per cent surge in club memberships.

More than 215,000 fans will begin the season as club members, with the NRL’s 2016 catch-cry ‘Be There When History Happens” already gaining traction.

Twelve of the 16 NRL clubs have experienced an increase in membership figures, with Cronulla, Penrith and not surprisingly, the premiers North Queensland, securing the greatest percentage rise in paid-up members.

More at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp... dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

Great to see us nearly 20% ahead on this time last year.

I'd like to hear
@HappilyManly s take on that. He/she seems to have a fair bit of knowledge in these matters pertaining to rubbery figures from the NRL.

View attachment 3128

JUST four days away from the NRL season opener, anticipation from fans is at an all-time high with the NRL experiencing a 12 per cent surge in club memberships.

More than 215,000 fans will begin the season as club members, with the NRL’s 2016 catch-cry ‘Be There When History Happens” already gaining traction.

Twelve of the 16 NRL clubs have experienced an increase in membership figures, with Cronulla, Penrith and not surprisingly, the premiers North Queensland, securing the greatest percentage rise in paid-up members.

More at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-season-2016-just-days-away-and-club-memberships-are-at-an-all-time-high/news-story/ae394218c7f7b462da32d6110b42488a?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

Great to see us nearly 20% ahead on this time last year.
Interesting that the Panthers were the perhaps the biggers losers in terms of membership drop. Then they offered their high value jersey/membership deal and bang - in an instant they're at the top of the best improvers.

If they can do that, imagine what we could do with a similar offer.
The 70th year is an ideal excuse.

I'd like to hear
@HappilyManly s take on that. He/she seems to have a fair bit of knowledge in these matters pertaining to rubbery figures from the NRL.
IMG_20160228_053900.jpg

I just notice the figures Manly send out to rake in the membership fees . Note the DT do not show actual figures for 2015, but their graphic supports their storyline @:rolleyes:

3 days ago this is what Manly sent out in member emails. If you tally it all up, there is a 15% drop in overall take up from last year.

Amazing contradiction is the Penriff figure, as it is actually 30% lower this year, yet the DT laud them in the above article @:rolleyes: Cows 34% increase is also an anomaly, along with those of the Sharks :confused:

Also, none of these publications show the split of ticketed and non-ticketed members. Have Clubs managed to increase their actual mambership revenue or just membership numbers?

I've downgraded mine from Maroon (10 games) to White (3 games), so my dollar value contribution is reduced by 80%.

We will see the crowds via TV and my tip is that they will be sparse @:cool:

NRL Annual Report 2015 Figures
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLh5yl6JjLAhVFFpQKHQHhDsUQFggdMAE&url=http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2016/NRL%20Annual%20Report_2015.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHyVUrY2Lck-g-Mx0y8HXRTAQnb2A&sig2=-GB9McjRAMpU_C-1C8yP_g&bvm=bv.115339255,d.dGY
upload_2016-2-28_7-45-21.png

This is what the DT should have had
upload_2016-2-28_8-22-53.png

Last edited:
Northern Beaches aren't that interested in League. It's no great shock. Lots of us fans don't live in the area, are middle aged with families and can't get to games much anymore. I imagine this would be for most clubs.

They're kidding aren't they ?

They continue to give the broadcasters free reign when it comes to scheduling and think memberships will skyrocket ?

Thursday nights and Monday nights are the best way to halve crowd figures but great for TV evidently. Do we even have a Sunday afternoon match this year ? Afternoons......this is when people want to experience the football. Parents taking their kids to see their favourite players play live. Not on a freezing Monday night when the kids have school the next day.

So spare me your bulls*** line that it's all about the fans. Because we all know it's all about 9 and Fox.

View attachment 3130
I just notice the figures Manly send out to rake in the membership fees . Note the DT do not show actual figures for 2015, but their graphic supports their storyline @:rolleyes:

3 days ago this is what Manly sent out in member emails. If you tally it all up, there is a 15% drop in overall take up from last year.

Amazing contradiction is the Penriff figure, as it is actually 30% lower this year, yet the DT laud them in the above article @:rolleyes: Cows 34% increase is also an anomaly, along with those of the Sharks :confused:

Also, none of these publications show the split of ticketed and non-ticketed members. Have Clubs managed to increase their actual mambership revenue or just membership numbers?

I've downgraded mine from Maroon (10 games) to White (3 games), so my dollar value contribution is reduced by 80%.

We will see the crowds via TV and my tip is that they will be sparse @:cool:

NRL Annual Report 2015 Figures
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLh5yl6JjLAhVFFpQKHQHhDsUQFggdMAE&url=http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2016/NRL%20Annual%20Report_2015.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHyVUrY2Lck-g-Mx0y8HXRTAQnb2A&sig2=-GB9McjRAMpU_C-1C8yP_g&bvm=bv.115339255,d.dGY
View attachment 3131

This is what the DT should have had
View attachment 3132
Interesting figures HM. Do we compare part year numbers at similar times, or this year's partial figures against previous full year figures? Very different stories emerge. Eg We're in the top 8 when compared to the full year figures. Albeit this would be deceptive because of the reduced number of games in our memberships - due to the lack of weekend home games in our draw.

The point of the DT is that membership is up overall. Based on the NRL's own published report, this is not correct. Makes no sense to compare memberships at any point but season end IMO.

Penriff is so obviously different that one wonders if the article was comparing 2015 to 2014 :wondering:

Simple enough to have the NRL keep a running total on nrl.com :lightbulb:

and the more members we have the easier to write "facts" as we lose money on Brookie home games by not counting income from members.

How the hell did Penrith get 19376 members last year? Good on them but wow, that's a lot of members considering their crowds weren't great.

I'd also like to know how Souths continually get close to 30,000 members?

Are most of these $50 memberships just token ones with cap, lanyard, keyring and maybe one game?

I remember a few years ago reading about one of the big unions, (can't remember which one) and they had a deal that everyone who joined the union received a souths membership. I wonder if that still happens?

It's hard trying to sell ticketed memberships when you don't have a stadium with undercover seating. Our fans would just wait until game week to see the weather before deciding to go.

As happilymanly said, true comparisons can't be made until well into the season for a clearer figure. In saying that, we are only 1700 short so i'd say we'll end up with a much higher figure this year. I wonder if we can crack 14,000? It'll be a good result if we do. Hoping for more of course but NRL and nein have done us no favours for attracting crowds this year.

As we do have quite a few of our fans in the Western Sydney and Central Coast areas. I think we need to start looking at playing 1 game at ANZ (Easter Saturday in line with Easter Show) and 1 at Gosford every season to try and drive up more fans becoming members, while still have the usual 10 games at Brookie.

You could have a membership package like:

ANZ 4 game membership - 1 ANZ Game and 3 Brookie Games
Central Coast Membership - 1 Gosford game and 3 Brookie/ANZ Games.

Can't agree with your assessment, it is very common to look at totals at the same point in time which the DT article pointed out it was doing. Why would you compare an end of year total to a pre season total?

Any company looking at sales figures compares the same month last year v this year, they don't compare last year's total sales figures to this year's Q1 totals.

Last edited:
Instead of spending $100m on advertising, the NRL should subsidise membership costs by kicking in a loyalty discount to renewing members :lightbulb:

I think the DT is still actively besmirching Smith for his leaving News Ltd out of the initial Broadcast renewal deal :p

This time next week we should have actual footy stats to debate :clap:

Can't agree with your assessment, it is very common to look at totals at the same point in time which the DT article pointed out it was doing. Why would you compare an end of year total to a pre season total?

Any company looking at sales figures compares the same month last year v this year, they don't compare last year's total sales figures to this year's Q1 totals.
There were some mitigating factors this time last year compared to now. And to be fare, would have a substantial effect on members sales figures if you were to use that analogy
What was happening this time February 2015
images (7).jpg

With the magical non-existent chequebook materialising late last year (apparently it was behind the lounge at Scotty's joint), and DCE Krishna locked in for life....a plethora of new and excited members gather at Manly Beach.

2111757752.jpeg

Last edited:
On one hand they wants us to join as members and spend more money than we did the previous year , on the other, they accept massive funds from the broadcast partners who do not give a **** about membership, nor fans attending games.

Sorry NRL ( and clubs) you can't have it both ways.

Give us a bunch of Sunday's and watch the membership climb, give us a bunch of Monday's and watch it fall.

Simple mathematics really.

NRL memberships might be at an all time high, but our tipping comp membership is at an all time low. Come on people, make the effort.

Agreed! The silvertails keyring and coin looks good on my desk! :)

For those talking about memberships dropping because of poor game scheduling, you realise that you can still get a membership if you can't go to games? Like the one I have. Or do you think if locals cant get to the games, they wont bother with any type of membership at all?

Piddling little comps like the EPL and NFL who play the majority of their games, early to mid afternoon on a saturday or sunday have no idea. Don't they know that negotiating a bigger tv deal than their predecessor is all that any fan could want from a ceo

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6