NRL Stories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sheens won't fuel Moltzen NRL fire
Updated: 05:18, Wednesday March 14, 2012
Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is refusing to fuel the fire as his halfback Tim Moltzen prepares to line up against the team he snubbed - St George Illawarra.

Dragons fans are angry with Moltzen after he signed with the Dragons last year only to renege on the deal to remain at the Tigers.

Sheens says he doesn't expect anything to come of the confrontation on the field on Friday night, with both teams more concerned with getting back on board after last round's losses.

Sharks dump Graham in NRL reshuffle
Updated: 05:18, Wednesday March 14, 2012
Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has reacted to Sunday's dismal loss to Newcastle by dumping five-eighth Wade Graham to the bench and promoting Jeff Robson for Monday's clash with Manly.

In other team news, Parramatta recalled Luke Burt in place of Jarryd Hayne, while veteran Petero Civoniceva will start in a reshuffled pack for Brisbane.

Centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall returns from a lacerated kidney for the Sydney Roosters, but young gun Tautau Moga remains sidelined with a ankle injury.

Hayne, Gidley get positive injury news
Updated: 06:17, Wednesday March 14, 2012

Two NRL teams received positive news on Tuesday, with Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne and Newcastle's Kurt Gidley both relieved to have avoided long-term injuries.

Gidley will be out for between three to five weeks as he recovers from a dislocated shoulder, with veteran hooker Danny Buderus named skipper to face Brisbane in his absence.

Hayne, who initially feared he had suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury which would have required a full knee reconstruction, remains uncertain about just how long he will be sidelined but he was confident his knee issue wasn't overly serious.

Hayne damaged scar tissue from the knee injury he suffered in February's trial match against Penrith, but he said he was relieved at news he had not done his ACL.

'I don't know (how long I'll be out). It's just about getting that stability (in the knee) back,' Hayne said.

'As soon as I get that back, I know I'll be sweet.

'... It feels alright. It is a bit shaky walking, but I can walk and that's probably a good sign.'

Hayne admitted he would not push to return earlier than recommended from his second knee complaint this season.

'I don't want any more setbacks,' Hayne said on Tuesday.

Bennett poaching not angering Dragons
Updated: 20:54, Tuesday March 13, 2012

St George Illawarra veteran Nathan Fien says he can't begrudge any NRL teammate following former coach Wayne Bennett to Newcastle.

After all, he did the same thing when he quit the Warriors midway through 2009 - Bennett's first year at the Dragons.

Dragons' fans claim the seven-time premiership-winning coach is picking apart his former club - last week's announcement that Beau Scott would join Newcastle in 2013 taking to four the number of Dragons who have followed Bennett to the Knights.

Throw in several backroom staff who have also made the trek north - including head trainer Jeremy Hickmans - and the fans' claims have some validity.

But Fien said it was only natural that players would want to play for the game's most successful coach.

"Wayne's a great coach - I can't speak highly enough of him," said Fien, who worked under Bennett during New Zealand's 2008 World Cup win before reuniting at the Dragons.

"I came from the Warriors over here to be coached by Wayne.

"There's no hard feelings from a player point of view. It is a business, the clubs run it like it is and you've got to look after your family at the end of the day.

"It was really sad to see Beau go - he's been here for a number of years. Unfortunately, he's had to make the decision that's right for him.

"We haven't done anything against the rules and neither has Beau - neither has Wayne at Newcastle for that matter.

"It's not ideal that players are signing a year in advance but that's the nature of the beast at the moment."

But while news of Scott's departure was not ideal, Fien refused to use it as an excuse for last week's dreadful performance against Canterbury.

"If we use that as an excuse, we're being really weak about our club and about our standards and about our footy team," Fien said.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4