1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NRL takes ownership of titans

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Eagles2nv, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv Sea you in the finals 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,639 /41
  2. Eagles2nv

Ratings:
    +1,639 /41
    I wont be surprised if they are the first club moved to somewhere like Perth or Brisbane.

3. the mauler

the mauler Well-Known Member Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,812 /27
    **** the Titans we've got our own problems to worry about!!

4. susan

susan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,355 /56
    This is exactly the right move.The NRL will not allow the coast to fold and will have to back the club.Why 1.AFL 2.The TV deal requires an even number of teams.No new franchise would be ready to go.

It may mean the coast ends up with a well funded club owned by the NRL- Far better than the current mess.I would rather see the 30 mill the NRL have supposedly recently pocketed go to building a club than more salary cap for elite players to fight over.

5. Mavin

Mavin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +929 /43
    Why should it be up 2 our club and others 2 fund the Titans?

• Like Like x 1
    • globaleagle

globaleagle Le ver vert va vers le verre vert! Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +9,334 /72
      if the nrl have the titans....gives them a pretty big dce war chest!!!

• Eagles2nv

Ratings:
      +1,639 /41
      I think its the right move to save the titans at this stage, losing a club will have a significant impact on the league.

The titans have never been a strong club, and they have a small supporter base which hasnt really grown.

I think by 2017 the NRL should give up on the Gold Coast and move the club to where there is more opportunity for NRL to grow (i.e Perth, Brisbanne, South QLD or NZ). The reality is no one will be ready this season, or likely next to start a new franchise.

• susan

susan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +2,355 /56
      We already fund Newcastle,St merge,Sharks

• Frogz

Frogz Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
      Ratings:
      +1,587 /39
      So now the NRL run the Knights and Titans, have bailed out West Tigers, St George and The Sharks...any others that I've missed.???
      Makes them really independent.

• Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +4,675 /166
      Maybe the NRL just want a cut

• Like Like x 1
      • jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
        +1,003 /28
        With the current tv contract nothing can change so the titans will stay. But down the future this gives the nrl much more scope. They have the opportunity just to fold the titans without any fan fare, just wind it up. This could allow another team in the comp without increasing the size, which makes sense currently with player numbers and a lack of quality.under the last union agreement im sure one of the clauses was if a club struggled financially the nrl guarantess any outstanding monies for the players but has the right to tell them who to play for. Another excellent position for the nrl should another club be introduced quite quickly. Cutting sides is expensive and poor publicity and while im sure the nrl would prefer to cut a sydney team , quietly suffocating a lame duck on the coast may be just as helpful. While dave smith has done exactly the right thing its hard to imagine the board wanting to take the titans on long term, and who would buy a team thats gone bust more times than alan bond. Maybe that salford owner kooky cash or whatever his name is might buy them.

• tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
        +4,970 /158
        We have asked them supposedly for a loan of $3m so they can take us over next year when Foran and DCE are gone and no-one turns up at brookie to watch us get flogged.

• Frogz

Sydney, Australia
        Ratings:
        +1,587 /39
        I would like to know off Mr Smith, when did he know the Titans were screwed for cash. Was it last week when The NRL were trying to assist the Titans secure DCE on money they didn't have, or was it just today that he found out.
        F@rk me, what a disgrace. 5 players get court notices for drug supply and the club cant pay its bills/wages.
        Please Mr Smith can you come clean on your knowledge and involvement.

• Like Like x 1
        • Frogz

Sydney, Australia
          Ratings:
          +1,587 /39
          Oh and then he says...quote
          “The fact of the matter is, it is an exciting day for the fans because I can tell you I am committed to the long term future, the club has got a good board and good management,” Smith said...unquote

Is this guy for farking real

Hope we don't have any exciting fan days like this

• SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
          +7,923 /149
          I'd want Smith punted if I didn't know they'd only replace him with Greenberg.
          The NRL is a shambles and an embarrassment to professional sport in this country.

• Like Like x 1
          • manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
            Ratings:
            +6,341 /134
            That is the sad truth of the nrl.

• Like Like x 1
            • David Smith

David Smith Member

Ratings:
              +5 /2
              Gold Coast need a high profile player like DCE.

He's a good role model, a cleanskin and has the superstar status that they love up that way.

A bit like Gary Ablett has been for the Gold Coast Suns.

• Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

Ratings:
              +2,125 /14
            • dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2017 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
              +926 /7
              Would like to see the reply if Massoud does reply