NRL to research fans, clubs and stadium strategy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
THE NRL will undertake extensive research in coming months to determine whether rugby league fans want to continue attending games at suburban grounds. Supporters were left angry and frustrated this week when the state government announced that funding for decaying local grounds would all but cease.

Read the full article

Well, no organisation ever undergoes 'research' without ensuring that the said 'research' comes back with exactly what the organisation wants.

And:

...With Brookvale Oval in desperate need of a facelift, Manly fans were further disappointed yesterday when the club announced it would take a round-four home game against Wests Tigers to Gosford.....

Is that so Ritchie? You seem to be an A grade Tosspot.

Surely out of the $1b TV rights deal $5m could be given to each club with a suburban for improvements on the basis that the funds are matched by whoever owns the ground?

Instead we will probably have ten steering committees and emply 20 consultants at a cost of tens of millions of dollars to decide that there is no money to go around.

Unfortunately 5 or 10 million dollars doesn't seem to go too far when it comes to ground refurbishments.

Lets face it fellow Sea Eagles fans it's as simple as this.

TV now own the game, and 90% of the revenue comes from TV.
TV doesn't give a stuff about fans, in fact they want you at home boosting the viewing numbers.
This is 100% at odds with the Clubs who want to sell your memberships and game experiences.

The future WILL be games at central stadiums....much as we'll hate it that's what TV wants, and currently they are paying enough to get it!!

Stevo said:
Unfortunately 5 or 10 million dollars doesn't seem to go too far when it comes to ground refurbishments.

It does if you add $5m from Warringah council and $10m from Tony Abbott bahabahabaha

Globaleagle is spot on, the 'research' (and I use that word loosely) will indeed back up what those running the show want to hear. The principle of the self-fulfilling prophecy is alive and well...

A fair compromise would be for the Clubs, that miss out on primetime TV games, thus disadvantaging their Sponsors (I am ignoring the Fans here as per ARLC strategy), to be allocated more ARLC monies.

At present, all agree that the Broncos get Friday nights due to a greater TV audience. Thus their Sponsors get more value for each dollar of sponsorship. More importantly, the Broncos CEO, has a walk up start to new Sponsors as he can guarantee Friday timeslot.

The Fans would still be disadvantaged in being unable to attend all the games due to work and school commitments, but their Club's financial viability would not continue to be threatened as it is now.

Cutting costs and getting the most out of your product is today's bottom line. I kept hearing Carlton, Collingwood fans would never go the the G but that never happened. Fans will always go to where their team is playing. I have travelled from the Gong for nearly 30 years so being somewhere else won't change anything.

Being central can bring more fans in. I won't forget that 33k major semi at the SFS, awesome night and great crowd. Imagine the dollars the club could pull with that playing in Sydney. Brookie always get terrible AWAY support and the poor condition of the ground continues to keep our gate numbers at levels that shouldn't exist (dominant team past few years) SFS is the way to go.

I'm sick of hearing about the so called ' poor shape of Brookie'. It is one of the best grounds to view rugby league in Sydney, and has the best atmosphere.
If a comfortable seat is your priority then stay at home and watch in on TV.

Again, It's not the spectators. It's not the Hill and it's not the under cover seating.

It's the corporate boxes and areas. They are ****house and they are in really poor shape.

Stevo said:
Again, It's not the spectators. It's not the Hill and it's not the under cover seating.

It's the corporate boxes and areas. They are ****house and they are in really poor shape.

Maybe the ones in the F-M Stand are below par, plus that lean-to at the southern end of the Jane Try, but a fair amount of money has gone into the KA Stand corporate facilities and the Jane Try extension, which hosts a very expansive corporate lounge.

I've changed my views totally on this. I was of the opinion that suburban grounds were a thing of the past but I don't think league would survive without them. Nothing substitutes for the Sydney suburban tribal battle. Grounds like Brookie, Penrith,Parra,Kogarah,Shark Park,Leichart,Campbelltown must not be given away or league will lose its identity. We aren't anything like AFL in Melbourne and don't even try to think it will. We dont get crowds big enough to stage every game at Homebush or AAMI and the transport infrastructure isn't good enough to encourage enough people to use it. They need to modernise and revamp some of these grounds or encourage double header games at Homebush and AAMI to get a decent atmosphere.

As has been mentioned before, any link between what the AFL did and what the NRL could do in centralising the games is totally irrelevant. Everyone knows that public transport in Sydney is utter rubbish, where as in Melbourne its convenient and easy to access when attending sporting fixtures. So unless the NSW Govt. plans on COMPLETELY overhauling the public transport system, this is not relevant.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4