NRL's $1 billion television deal is being spent on chauffeur-driven hire cars

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
EXPOSED: SOME of the NRL's $1 billion television deal is being spent on chauffeur-driven hire cars for senior officials.

Both chief executive Dave Smith and chairman John Grant travel around Sydney in luxury limos.

On Wednesday, Smith was spotted being dropped off at St Leonards for a meeting with other sports administrators at ARU headquarters. So we phoned a hire car company to get a quote from his Moore Park office to St Leonards, returning an hour later.

It was $283, thank you very much. No wonder the NRL has had to double the price of grand final tickets.

As a service to the game, we today publish the phone numbers for the regular taxi services which charge about $70 for the same round trip. Legion 131 451, ABC 132 522, Combined 133 300, Silver Service 133 100, RSL 9581 1111.

Imagine not having to pay $200 to get Smith from point A to point B. Same with Grant. It would save the game tens of thousands of dollars annually.

Other CEOs at the St Leonards meeting either caught taxis or drove their own cars.

The week before, Smith again travelled by hire car to a meeting at Penrith. The cost was about $500.

The outrageous amount of money being spent at NRL headquarters on management expenses is the talk of the game.

Chauffeur-driven limos might be alright in the banking industry where billions of dollars in profits are being made. But rugby league? Please. The game is already $10 million over budget this year.

This over-indulgence is happening at a time when clubs are going broke, the grassroots is struggling and the international game is a joke.

This week the Italian Rugby League side was informed by the international body that they would have to pay their own airfares to the World Cup.

Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands are all being looked after.

The Italians now have two months to raise $64,000 for the airfares or withdraw from the tournament.

While the Kangaroos, Kiwis and Great Britain players are on big money to play in the event, the likes of Anthony Minichiello, Terry Campese and Craig Gower are playing for nothing.

NRL administration costs have trebled since the independent commission and Smith took over the running of the game.

More than 140 staff, plus consultants, are now working at League Central headquarters.

Yet, astonishingly, events like the pre-season Nines tournament have been outsourced to a private promoter who stands to make millions of dollars profit from the event.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/whats-the-buzz-nrl-officials-splurge-on-luxury-hire-cars/story-fniabjcr-1226699070035

They should be disciplined or sacked. What a terrible waste of funds when clubs haven't got enough gear to even play!!! That money could be used giving underpriveleged families and kids a free ticket to a game!

More petty rothfield crap sa,e article talks about the penns having a box on one side of blue tounge and quantum and FC being on the other side. He's a grub.

And the pre game grand final entertainment will be the St Mary's under 12 cheerleaders waving some ribbons around.

mickqld said:
God knows how much they are spending on match fixing then.

Included in the referees annual bonus'

Seriously why does it take 140 staff plus consultants to run the NRL? Obviously to ensure that their brand new headquarters are fully occupied.

With all those staff and the game is still blighted by **** refereeing standards.

Maybe next year the NRL will ensure that it is a parra v st George grand final so that they can maximise revenue.

A stitch up on the now non news aligned nrl by the tele?

Who would have thought it

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Geez I'm glad I live in Adelaide and don't have to put up with Rothfield or the Telecrap. Only have to put up with 24/7 AFL down here (what is the lesser of 2 evils....AFL or The Telecrap?).

This Independent Commission has been a real disappointment. I thought it would improve the game and the administration. Wrong.
I couldn't stand Gallop - the undertaker - but this mob is doing worse and with five times the staff.

Shocked that so many are taking Rothfield as gospel here.

The Daily Agenda have had it out for Smith and Grant since day one, this is just another example of their petty grubbiness to smear the good work they are doing.

Balance it out a bit; how many positive things have you read about Smith in the Astonisher this year? Compare and contrast that with their good mate Gallop.

Figures.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between; afl, ru, soccer etc looking at head count, salaries, major event costs, etc.

It would also be interesting to compare costs etc in the nrl between now and say a couple of years ago.

I think most people are struggling to notice much of an improvement in the game under the new regime, but is it costing a truck load more cash to run

I'm not convinced the game will be in a better financial position at the end of this tv deal compared to at the end of the previous one

I would assume the nrl etc would have to post balance sheets etc every year, interested to see how it is all tracking

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4