NRL's expansion doubts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
THE independent commission may not have assumed power yet but it is already coming to grips with some of the major issues confronting the code after chairman-elect John Grant told a function last week the game might not be ready to expand in 2015.

Read the full article

Move cronulla to Perth
Souffs to Adelaide
Bring in a 2nd Brisbane team
15 teams for 2015
And NO bears ever

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Move cronulla to Perth
Souffs to Adelaide
Bring in a 2nd Brisbane team
15 teams for 2015
And NO bears ever
You forgot to move the dogs to lebanon :D

Lol @ the Bears. At least another 4 years and no guarantees.

I really doubt if there ever will be expansion, another two teams means an extra $10 million in grants.
As for any substantial increase in TV rights, well think again, AFL always beats Rugby League to the punch and secures the lion's share of future deals, Channel 9 is cash strapped, and no opposition for Foxsports.
Brisbane will oppose any future Brisbane team and a Central Coast team just puts another team in the Sydney catchment area.
I really doubt the Cronulla project will get off the ground, so they are a contender for relocation.

I can't see a yay or nay decision being made on expansion until at least 2013. 2 new teams in 2015 may be too soon too accommodate. Brisbane Mark 2 & Perth are the logical choices in my opinion.

Wolfpack said:
I really don't think that the talent pool is deep enough to support even one more club.

I disagree. I think there is plenty of talent out there. What needs to happen is a better distribution of the junior talent and better looking after the kids by some of the bigger clubs who just chew up and spit our potential first graders because they have someone in line to take their place.

Before expansion they have to address the fact that most of their clubs are close to broke. There isn't enough revenue to keep the current clubs afloat. Country football is struggling for revenue as well. There also must be a national reserve grade competition open to all ages. Far too many problems that need to be fixed first before adding more clubs.

Unless you bring in one or two more team in or around Brisbane we better all get used to the Broncos winning, or going very close to winning, every season.
It seems so obvious to me that for the sake of a more even comp, and to maximise the TV rights, that Brisbane needs more clubs.

Qld needs another 2 teams - Brisbane and Redcliffe my suggestion
WA has to be in
Then a second team in NZ.

Player depth shouldn't be a problem :
Theirs 100+ players heading to the ESL a year (soon won't be able to do so due to the import rule getting cut down again ).
The players in the 20s will have to go somewhere, in saying that theirs plenty of good players in both the NSW cup and Qld cup as well that could potentially play in the NRL.
PNG are looking to be a Qld cup team in the future so as above. Rugby League apparently is making big in roads in the islands as well ie Fiji etc.
English players are looking at the NRL for a challenge have heard that Sam Tomkins was pretty close to coming to the NRL only to sign with Wigan and they put a stipulation in his contract to make sure he doesn't.

With all the relocations, where can we send gallop to, so he is not involved AT ALL.......Could be CEO of PNG team.....Free to good home.

Easy solutions in my mind to allow expansion.

Drop the number of top-line players from 25 to 21. Thus costs are reduced and more players would be on the market for expansion clubs.

To cover injuries or suspensions only allow those positions to be filled from the Toyota Cup. These Toyota cups positions could be limited to a certain number and if that number was less the payments to these players would not form part of the salary cap. If it exceeds the number these payments would then be included in the cap. Thus clubs would look after players recovery sessions much better.

Reduce the 17 man squad to 14 and allow unlimited interchanges throughout the game. This would free up a few hundred thousand in the salary cap. Thus allowing it to be reduced but more money going to the players the clubs want to keep.

Reduce the number of players on the field to 11. Removing the lock and one centre. (Similar to what De$ Ha$ler said a few years ago in making the field wider to allow more broken field play.) This would give a similar result and mean there are three interchanges to cover 11 positions if the previous point was taken up.

I am not saying all of the above should be done straight away but they may be options to evaluate in the future. Maybe a stepped approach reducing by one or two positions over a number of years could apply.

Offer clubs as much money as the NRL can afford to relocate. This may be 15 or 20 million with allowances for the salary cap etc.

Or simply set up clubs in WA and SA and allow the fittest to survive and the weakest ones to perish.

Promote the hybrid game and bring rah rah back into the fold.

I am not trying to be a nark - but sometimes one needs to think outside the square.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2