NRL's Greenberg on Brookie.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Greenberg on his new NRL job.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/todd-greenberg-talks-state-of-origin-ben-barba-and-his-grand-vision/story-fndujljl-1226686789526

DR: Is one of your goals to implement a model used in the AFL, where every Sydney team either plays out of ANZ Stadium or Allianz, with less games played at suburban grounds?

TG: If you look at the game's strategic plan and they talk about averaging 20,000 a game by 2017 and 400,000 members, you can't do that if the current stadium policies are in place.

You can't do that playing as many games as we do at Leichhardt, Brookvale Oval.

DR: How soon before we see this change?

TG: I would say between two to four years you'll see a significant shift.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for the death of suburban footy, I'd love to play a game a year at Belmore.

But, financially, any more than one game and it just wouldn't be viable.

Business sense yes..the right way of going about it? No. There are other ways to improve the business

Ceagle said:
This is going to go down well with the crowd around here

I'll start...

Greenturd is going to be the worst thing to happen to the NRL. All i have seen so far is him introducing policies that seem to benefit the dogs.

Suburban grounds are iconic to the sport. The atmosphere you get at suburban grounds is a precious thing that big stadiums cannot replicate.

Maybe someone should tell him crowds are declining rapidly.

They will be able to play all games at Manly Oval (or similar) in 3 or 4 years.

I wouldn't mind us taking around 4 games a year to Allianz, or even 1 a year at the SCG as long as they are 'big' matches that will attract crowds, but they need to include:

- Games against teams like Souths, Tigers, Dragons, Dogs, even Knights
- Free transport to and from Allianz (paid by the NRL since they earn millions), especially for night games as we aren't the easiest place to travel from.
- Include each game at Allianz in Season Membership packages unlike the current situation with Bluetongue
- Still keep a few crowd-maker games at Brookie, e.g vs Storm, Parra, Cronulla
- And at least if we get around the 15,000 member mark before even taking games to Allianz.

This might be a little out there Todd but what about using the Suburban Grounds to your advantage ie.
22k is deemed as a sellout at Brookie - if there are 22k members they get preference.
So more or less you have to be a member to see them play at Brookie.
Think Lambeau for the Packers - holds 80k and each seat is pre sold.

ManlyArmy said:
I wouldn't mind us taking around 4 games a year to Allianz, or even 1 a year at the SCG as long as they are 'big' matches that will attract crowds, but they need to include:

- Games against teams like Souths, Tigers, Dragons, Dogs, even Knights
- Free transport to and from Allianz (paid by the NRL since they earn millions), especially for night games as we aren't the easiest place to travel from.
- Include each game at Allianz in Season Membership packages unlike the current situation with Bluetongue
- Still keep a few crowd-maker games at Brookie, e.g vs Storm, Parra, Cronulla
- And at least if we get around the 15,000 member mark before even taking games to Allianz.

Monday and friday night games need to be abolished for this to work too

What about building a large stadium on the north side of the harbour?
Why are there none?
We've had racism. This is regionalism. Shame Greenturd, shame.

bob dylan said:
Maybe someone should tell him crowds are declining rapidly.

They will be able to play all games at Manly Oval (or similar) in 3 or 4 years.

As the Bluetongue lease by Singleton ends this year, maybe Manly will play their 2 games at ANZ.
However, the Manly Sea Eagles constitution stipulates 10 games to be played at Brookvale Oval per season. So Lawyers at 10 paces with the NRL for this one:cool:

Whilst I, and a few of us who are lucky enough to afford the time, attend every game present, I would not pay for a Membership to the SFS nor ANZ.
So Beaver's marketing skills will have to be as great as his on field ones were for Manly to get 10,000 to re-sign.

The NRL will be broadcast from these concrete shells, Shefield Cricket Style, with skeleton audience for most weekly games IMO :mad:

MadMarcus said:
The administration has not been this out of touch with the fans since Super League.

NRL confuse the Media's payment of a large licence fee for cheap programming as being of a tangible benefit to the NRL Audience :dodgy:

If they did a spreadsheet, of how many hours of TV/Radio/Internet programmes that the Broadcasters extract from eight games of eighty minutes per week, then they may realize that they sold it cheaply :mad:

All the dedicated football talk and entertainment shows, news segments and related advertising by the hosting Network/Websites is a good chunk of the weekly entertainment broadcasts/content.

Just ask anyone who has zero interest in NRL(same argument for all sports BTW) how pervasive it is for a large proportion of the year :cool:

Or more correctly, ask the Broadcasters/Content Providers how much money it would have cost to produce the equivalent hours of content :idea:

I'm guessing the club would make a shedload more cash from corporates at the SFS, than they can out of Brookie.

This may, in part, be where Greenburg is coming from too.

MadMarcus said:
The administration has not been this out of touch with the fans since Super League.

That is what worries me TBH, these people will eventually take our game and stuff it up again.

I'm sick of hearing Rugby League is a business and we need to do away with the suburban grounds from Greenbucks and his ilk....we need to remain financially viable...blah, blah, blah...
I liked it better when it was a sport. Keep pissing off the fans and they've got buckleys of being financially viable. People will just decide it's too much hassle and vote with their feet.
Perhaps it's time they got some people in charge who are more interested in the game than the bottom line.

Comments on here about admin being out of touch are too true. Justify the 100% increase in grand final ticket prices. The working mans game is now unaffordable to most. The only way I can see Manly taking games to Allianz (NOT ANZ at all) would be for a flood of free buses from the Northside like they do for major events at ANZ ( but of course we all know Greenturd wont do that)and only on Sat nights or Sundays against Sydney teams only ( which we all know Greenturd wont do that either). If we are good enough we will win anywhere but Brookie should never be abandoned totally. 8 games Brookie 4 at Allianz

mave said:
I'm guessing the club would make a shedload more cash from corporates at the SFS, than they can out of Brookie.

This argument holds no water, as only a few of the 10,000 locals will be at the SFS/ANZ.

The Corporates can not make up the revenue lost by disenfranchising the masses, who also spend at the Ground and on Club Merchandise.

I fear that the Business of Sport has no understanding of what makes people actually attend season games :-/

Re the AFL attendances, Ralphie - their game does not translate to TV as it is a 360 degree activity sport.
My friends in Melbourne reckon that once the technology is worked out to broadcast it properly, that they will not be sitting in the cold either :cool:

Even RL is a largely enhanced game at the grounds, as you see all the action unfolding, not just the close ups that they broadcast.
That is why I attend, to get the feel of the game, which just adds to the joy of a Manly win :angel:

eagles2win said:
This might be a little out there Todd but what about using the Suburban Grounds to your advantage ie.
22k is deemed as a sellout at Brookie - if there are 22k members they get preference.
So more or less you have to be a member to see them play at Brookie.
Think Lambeau for the Packers - holds 80k and each seat is pre sold.

The population of the US is 315 million, that's 12.6 times the population of Australia. 80,000 divided by 12.5 = 6,400 which suggests the Brookie average crowd outperforms the Packers by 2 fold.

The NRL keeps looking at the AFL crowds in Melbourne. Melbourne is different on any number of fronts.
1. It's a damn boring place with nothing else to do but go to the footy, whereas as cosmopolitan Sydney is anything but boring.
2. Melbourne has public transport that works with few fans travelling for more than 30 minutes to get to the big grounds.

This strategy is doomed to failure.

I for one will never attend a Manly home game at ANZ or Allianz unless it is a one off for good reason. If that means my team dies, then so be it. Disenfranchising the fans is the slippery slope to disaster.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4