NSW Cup v Wests and replacements for 1sts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manly1996

Rookie
Been reading the forum for years but virgin poster : )

Went to NSW Cup game at Lidcombe and here are some thoughts :

Side played strong and were well structured. As a group they looked fit and committed enough for first grade. Great first step Cliffy.

Wests were particularly poor but our fowards out muscled them completely.

Junior Palau - much bigger, played strong, particularly the last 20 minutes of the first half when he made at least 5 runs of 15 metres plus each. Gave the impression he is working hard to make it this year.
Nick Skinner - tough, can tackle, ran hard and off loaded well. Wouldn't unset any of our back row but a good back up. Daniel Harrison played his usual busy game. Either of these two could fill in if needed for a few games.
George Rose - probably had the least impact of all our forwards. Not sure why he was there ?? Being rested for Tigers game perhaps ?. After the way the Firsts played v Auckland today, perhaps George will have a period in the Reggies
Ben Farrar - looked classy and strong and then went off badly injured ( knee ) after 15 minutes. He was clearly distressed and it could be a bad one.
James Cunnigham - ok. Always looks like he should be doing more to me.
Liam Higgins - great little player and darted and tackled well. Good back up for Ballin if needed.
Liam Foran - not a First Grade match winning half but gee he is committed and strong and his goal kicking in this game was superb. He revs up the boys and is a leader.
Ben Falcone - I haven't really noticed him before but this kid can play. Came on for Farrar and immediately started making busts from dummy half and then followed up with good runs on the edge and some eye catching runs for tries. Great display. One to watch. Is he tough enough to play Firsts - time will tell but its great to see a young kid with that extra ounce of pace and ability to beat his man.
Dean Whare - bit like Cunningham. Looks like a footballer but never seems to really stand up and make a differnence. Perhaps if Matai is injured for a few weeks and im guessing Farrar also he will take his chance. If he doesn't over the next month I think his chance will pass.
Mitch Jowett - best I've seen him play. Made some great runs and scored a great long range try. Also went off injured with a bad knee ( dodgy Lidcombe oval ) but it didn't look as bad as Farrars.
All in all its great to see the Reggies committed, strong and playing with a bit of flair. Injuries permitting they should do better than last year and I reckon we might see 3 or so play some good first grade in 2012
Cheers,
Adrian

Great post to lose your cherry on.

I've never really seen the lower grades so to hear about up and comers or never wills was interesting, thanks.

Good to hear about Palau as it is probably his make or break year. We need a good prop or two in reserve grade to put pressure on Rose and Lussick.

It sounds like it might be an interesting year for Rose and if he doesn't shape up under toovey then maybe he might ask for a release which will free up some money to retain Lussick?

Good to hear all round. What was the score? I watched the NYC game and was impressed too. There are some good kids in that side. Josh Drinkwater will be a gun i reckon and our 2 starting front rowers gave it to the Warriors pack. Eff they're a big team!

Canteen Worker said:
I keep hearing that Riccardi is a gun half but never get to see the NSW Cup team. Can anyone comment on his form?

He's captain again for the second year in a row and won the player's player award last year. Didnt see the game on the weekend but i might get out to brookie and watch them against Mounties on saturday.

Canteen Worker said:
I keep hearing that Riccardi is a gun half but never get to see the NSW Cup team. Can anyone comment on his form?

Riccardi played well without standing out. I think the team seemed focussed on playing a pretty structured game based on punching through in the forwards ( which they did well ) and then moving wide.

Riccardi is a great little player however and I reckon once Cliffy is happy with the structure he will give him more of a free rein - particularly when they play the better teams.

Reported in the Manly Daily that Harrison, Riccardi and Liam Foran were the standouts against Wests. And also Whare sustained an injury on Saturday.

I haven't seen them play this year, but I would say that Higgins is far more suited to the back-up dummy half role. L.Foran isn't much chop.

We might need a few Friday night, reports are Gift, Matai (both 6 weeks)and Foran are all out

Wolfpack said:
I haven't seen them play this year, but I would say that Higgins is far more suited to the back-up dummy half role. L.Foran isn't much chop.

L Foran played hooker for a couple games in cup last yr and didnt go too badly i thought. Offers a kicking option from hooker aswell but i think higgins is a better option.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6