O'Connell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
O'Connell

Just wondering if any of the older fella and historians could fill me in a bit on this bloke.

Never really heard of him tbh, but he must have been a gun to keep cliffy out of the side with only 34 games played

O'Connell

KE, I posted some info in this thread:
http://www.silvertails.net/addins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?126202.0#post_126228

O'Connell

When I heard the Team announced , I asked my Dad about Wally O'Connell . My Dad has been a Manly supporter since day # 1. He tells me that O'Connell was a great attacking & defensive player . Not taking anything away from Cliffy Lyons , but my father was expecting O'Connell to be named as the 5/8 in the team.

I've just been flicking through a book I have at home titled " The Sea Eagle Has Landed" (the story of Manly Warringah Rugby League Club) by Robert Smith. The section I was reading about the early 1950's & in particular O'Connell , he receives big wraps , it appears that he was a very good player.

O'Connell

He was the test captain at one stage. Wheel has read his biography and can probably say more tomorrow. Was the centre of a huge controversy at one stage and missed plenty of games due to a rule that players had to live in the district to play for the club.

O'Connell

I've just been flicking through a book I have at home titled \" The Sea Eagle Has Landed\" (the story of Manly Warringah Rugby League Club) by Robert Smith.

With that author shouldn't have been called "the sea eagle has landed in a desolate and depressive land" or "The sea eagle has landed, boys dont cry"

O'Connell

He was the test captain at one stage. Wheel has read his biography and can probably say more tomorrow. Was the centre of a huge controversy at one stage and missed plenty of games due to a rule that players had to live in the district to play for the club.

http://www.silvertails.net/addins/content/content.php?content.213

I have done an ex player profile on Wally. Follow the link to find out more.

O'Connell

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

http://www.silvertails.net/addins/content/content.php?content.213

I have done an ex player profile on Wally. Follow the link to find out more.

[/quote]

Very good read,
Thanks Wheel.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4