O'Donnell Given Ultimatum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter

The drawn out contract negotiations between North Queensland and injured Test backrower Luke O'Donnell appear to have been fast-tracked after a Cowboys ultimatum.

O'Donnell is due to meet with Peter Parr after the North Queensland chief executive said the NRL club board "need a yes or a no" from the off-contract star.

The NSW-born forward is believed to be favouring a return to Sydney with the Roosters and Manly looming as frontrunners for his signature.

However, Parr is not giving up in his quest to retain O'Donnell who is out for the rest of the NRL season with a hamstring injury.

Parr spoke to O'Donnell's manager Wayne Beavis last Friday and hopes to be a step closer to finalising the backrower's future in Townsville.

"Each day I am probably getting a little bit closer to a decision," O'Donnell said.

"I am having a meeting with Peter tomorrow. We are still talking."

O'Donnell has time on his hands to ponder his future as he recovers from hamstring surgery.

He returned to Townsville on Monday after going under the knife in Melbourne.

Manly has emerged as a new favourite for O'Donnell after it was revealed utility Michael Monaghan had been granted permission to negotiate with clubs in both England and Australia.

Monaghan's departure would free up cash for the Sea Eagles to make a tempting offer to O'Donnell.

O'Donnell would have been in the Test side that played New Zealand in Brisbane last Friday if he had not suffered a torn hamstring against the Wests Tigers barely two weeks ago.

Instead, he had to wait for a delayed TV telecast in Melbourne to watch the Test - then fell asleep.

"I didn't really watch it too intensely to be honest," he said of the Test.

"I kept falling asleep.

"Because I was watching it in Melbourne, I had to wait until about 10pm for it to start.

"I was keen but was pretty disappointed that it started so late."

The Cowboys have found it hard to combat the loss of O'Donnell and fellow impact forward Carl Webb (jaw).

They have lost their last two games, sparking fears the Cowboys will repeat their disastrous 2006 run in which they missed the finals after winning their first six games.

North Queensland's task does not get any easier as they try to rebound, taking on unbeaten Manly at Townsville on Saturday night.

"I think everyone is trying to stay as positive as they can," O'Donnell said of the Cowboys.

"It is going to be a big challenge (against Manly) but no-one needs to be told that.

"We have to be well prepared for Manly. They have probably been the form side of the competition this year."

O'Donnell has begun the slow road to recovery after settling back into Townsville.

"I have been on my back every day. I've been enjoying a little time out of the house on the crutches once a day," he said.

"I'm still supposed to be in bed as much as I can. That's it, it's nothing too exciting."

Manly has emerged as a new favourite for O'Donnell after it was revealed utility Michael Monaghan had been granted permission to negotiate with clubs in both England and Australia.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The End Justifies the Means!!!!

I'd rather we waited till we got a good prognosis on his hammy injury. It sounded like a bad one, and they are notoriously difficult to shake. Or at least we should put a clause in his contract if we do sign him that he has to pass a fitness test / medical before we hand over a cent

C& C this type of injury is actually better than a strain/tear. Its a bit misleading, because the muscle itself hasnt torn at all. The tendon (which attaches the muscle to the bone) is what has come away from the bone. Once reattached and with sufficient time to heal, his leg will be back to the same as was before the injury.

Clon's right.

The cowboys said in an article a week or so back that the doctor reckons he'll be 100% by the end of the year. He's done 200 of these operations and ever single case has worked fine.

OK that's fine then. Probably lucky for him in a way that it tore right off, wouldn't have wanted to do a 3/4 job on it.

What do you reckon someone like LOD would be asking a season ? Just wondering if we need to spend big $$$ on another backrower, because lets face it he's an OK footballer but he is no BK. I know we need to replace Beaver but I hate how we get caught in this "there is no one else on the market so we had better buy this player at all costs" scenario. If we can pick him up at a decent price than fine, but I suspect that won't be the case.

He's a walk up starter for tests and origins, I would say he'd be around the $300 - 350k mark.

Seems it may be all over before it even started. I'd be wary at paying overs for a player of his style. Let him stay in NQ.

O'Donnell to stay on the ranch
By Matt Marshall
April 27, 2007 OFF-CONTRACT Australia lock Luke O'Donnell could pledge his future to North Queensland today after the three Sydney-based clubs linked to him effectively ruled themselves out of the race.

The injured 26 year old will meet with Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr this morning to either accept or reject a lucrative three-year deal from the club.

But given Penrith, the Sharks and, to a lesser extent, Manly have indicated they are no longer in the running, it would seem O'Donnell best option is to remain in Townsville.

Manly, yet to table a formal offer, are an outside chance to table a late offer but admit the Cowboy's cashed-up offer may have blown them out of the water.

"I'm hearing that the Townsville offer is very, very strong," Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said.

"We're waiting to see how he recovers (from surgery), we had discussions prior to his injury, but subsequently it's all been on hold."

Given O'Donnell yesterday acknowledged he was very close to making a decision, a move to Brookvale Oval is seen as unlikely, barring an 11th-hour bid from the club.

If Michael Monaghan moves on, there may be money freed up.

The Panthers and Sharks meanwhile both denied they were chasing the Australia star, who will miss the rest of 2007 with a badly-torn hamstring.

News Limited newspapers

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7