Officiating Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
We all know that during the course of the NRL calendar there are numerous refereeing decisions that are made on the same circumstances but receive a totally opposite refereeing interpretation.

Take the Foran knock on from Friday night and the Bird/Uate decision in todays Titans game. Two similar incidents like this happen regularly but at present are just not appropriately compared & scrutinised for correctness, other than via private discussions opinions amongst disgruntled club supporters like us.

What I would like to see is some of those blatantly incorrect refereeing decisions (such as Manly have experienced lately) to be openly challenged and debated.

At the moment there is some argy bargy that goes on at the post match press conferences by coaches, but without anything really tangible thrown up other than a cloaked opinion (constrained by NRL rules).

Some days later the refs boss gets to make a public comment defending his refs and claiming justification by some sort of technical interpretation and thats where the issue stops. Everyone moves on to the next round & the issue is dispensed with other than for those supporters with long memories.

I want coaches such as Des to be able to address the sporting press with video evidence of two incidents that are of same/similar circumstances and throw out the question as to why the two are interpreted differently. Lets have the officials put under the microscope a bit. Lets have some scrutiny of decision making, backed by video evidence, be placed front & centre with the refs boss required to answer that question.

This suggestion isnt about whinging. Its about accountability for officials and improving standards and helping to remove those conspiracy theories of bias in officiating of games.

I'd love to see that mate, but doubt it would ever happen. The powers at be seem to hate any criticism, positive or negative. Unfortunate.

yeah, more has to be done. From an outsider it appears the refs do some fitness work, have a few video sessions, hit the white board and its all about meetings with coffee and tim tams to vote on who got the moost decisions wrong

What do the refs do to improve. Is there a ref simulator. Does the NRL have a budget to improve refereeing. Should they spend some time reffing the grass roots in the off season

Should they be ranked after each game and have to maintain a certain rank to be eligible to do games. Should 2 or 3 major clunkers a season require a season in reggies

On the other hand should a refs contract have more incentive payments. In the end if a fitness, video and whiteboard sessions are whats preparing our refs heads have to roll, purely on neglect

While it is a great idea in priciple and I for one am a Ref basher in the heat of the moment I don't see anything to be gained from this approach.

The fact is that there is a lack of experienced referees (would you want to be one) and puting them under more scrtiny will only drive more away from the game.

I have never seen a player play a whole game without making an error so how can we expect the same from the officials under preasure.

In a perfect world Referee mistakes would not occur but the world aint perfect.

I love wankers with power who add nothing to anything besides their own pathetic hate campaigns, how funny it is the only power you have is on a computer forum rofl get a life loser

Harrigan comes on 2SM for 10 mins on a Monday night and 9 times out of 10 can explain away contentious calls on a technicality. Once in a while he will go as far as conceeding some of the refs thought the call "could have gone either way"... Even then he'll only discuss the ones that are raised by Hughes.

It's a token effort at accountability. The last thing the NRL wants is for the refs to be put under any kind of spot light.

A sports show segment on refereeing decisions where the coaches are given the opportunity to comment on decisions or issues that bug them. Let the coaches have their say!

codewana said:
The powers at be seem to hate any criticism, positive or negative.

Yes they do. But what im proposing is something that is out of the hands of the NRL. Its simply a coach asking the question to the media as to why 2 different adjudications were given backed up with clear video evidence.

Then let the media write it up and watch the NRL & refs association respond to it with remedial action on the field.

That does sound good, but surely we'd then be at the hands of the media... Not sure which is better.

Btw, if my vote counted, I would be behind this.

The Eagle said:
Go the nfl system

I agree with this. Get rid of the 2nd ref and the video referee. Have a Captain's Challenge system where the captain can get a replay without question and the ref on the field makes the decision. One person to blame for the wrong call.

Forward passes also need to be called in video refereeing. Before this can happen though they need to change the forward pass rules. It should be changed to force the player to receive the ball behind the previous player. None of this forward momentum BS. That will be easy to view on a camera that runs along the touchline with the play. They do it in the EPL.

Jatz Crackers said:
codewana said:
The powers at be seem to hate any criticism, positive or negative.

Yes they do. But what im proposing is something that is out of the hands of the NRL. Its simply a coach asking the question to the media as to why 2 different adjudications were given backed up with clear video evidence.

Then let the media write it up and watch the NRL & refs association respond to it with remedial action on the field.

I think if this happened it would be worth the $10,000 fine. You just have to make a solid case that goes on for 30 mins or so in front of the media. That would be enough for a fine but at the same time cause the media to push for changes.

The refs have lost touch with the "spirit" of the rules. They rule on the black and white technical interpretation of the rule. Take the way a ball can be grounded for a try these days, complete and utter joke the way they apply the "separation" rule....what ever happened to control ? They are so focused on taking any subjectivity out of the process, they obviously don't trust their own ability to interpret the game. Look at the ridiculous levels the obstruction rule and the advantage rule reached, trying to make it a quantitative process resulted in some pathetic decisions being made. This latest BS about rotation of the ball during stripping is laughable. The most frustrating thing is that they choose to apply the technical letter of the law to some rules and other rules are just completely ignored altogether.

It would be nice to see refs made accountable (publicly), but accountability must carry with it sanctions if poor performance continues. Unfortunately we do not have the depth of competent officials to allow demotions. I agree that there should be a forum where coaches can question certain decisions, it can only help the refs learn how to get a feel for the game. Could you imagine trying to keep a straight face whilst listening to a ref trying to justify the two completely opposite outcomes between the Foran strip and the Bird strip.

Rex said:
A sports show segment on refereeing decisions where the coaches are given the opportunity to comment on decisions or issues that bug them. Let the coaches have their say!

Maybe they could only comment on decisions that affect other teams, not their own

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6