Old school Footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Been watching 'Classic Games" on Fox the past 3 weeks, theres been a heap on.
Mostly between the early 1980's through to the 1990's.
Heaps of Manly games which brings back many great & sad memories but always great to see some of my old school hero's in the heat of battle.
What I really want to make a point of is the atmosphere!!
The commentary with Moose Mossop outstanding.
The Hits....many called great defence would be 12 weeks out today.
The players were just so tough, nothing against the atheletes today but these old school warriors were a different breed.
Also a fan of the unstructured attack from the Cliffy Lyons types who could put a player through the gap as the defensive line scratched its head.
Though the game looks far slower the intensity & contact is massive.
Great entertaining game today, but those old clashes are well worth a watch.....

It's this reason i thoroughly enjoy watching the super league. They still play footy the way i remember before wrestle mania.

Nothing like watching football without the ****. The old games on classics are a blast to watch!

Yes, there is far less "play what you see" today. It's very structured. Three 'hit ups' which in the old days would have been called "dying with the ball", then the ball sweeps left or right with decoy runners, trying to gain an overlap. If that doesn't work then the 5th tackle is a kick-and-hope. Because wingers are now so adept at chasing and catching bombs - a skill, I admit but it does get repetitious - this has become the way most tries are scored.
I like RL the way it used to be played.

The last words I used to get from my coaches were usually an invective laden sentence that boiled down to "go and break someone in half" :)

Imagine that in today's footy... Being taught how to legally bust someone's rib cage into pieces!! Today it's all about shutting down the ball and smothering the ruck...

Old Claude... He used to mumble "you try passing the ball or gettin up quick with your ribs comin out your a**hole" :)

He was on the money too!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6