Oldfield talks up his game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Speedster Michael Oldfield, the player most likely to replace William Hopoate on the wing for premiers Manly-Warringah, says talking to himself on the field will be the key to staying focused as he attempts to cement his spot in first grade.

Oldfield, who has played 15 games for the Sea Eagles over the past two years including 10 matches on the wing last season, admitted he often found concentration a problem when the action shifted towards the opposite sideline.

“It’s just hard… concentrating; you’re a bit out there on your own so you tend to fall away from the game a bit,” Oldfield told NRL.com.

The 21-year-old, who joined the Sea Eagles after playing rugby union for elite Scots College during the final two years of his secondary schooling, said it was important for wingers to find a way to stay switched on.

“Try to get more involved and do something… just talk to yourself,” he continued.

Oldfield said it was ironic the two players who’d helped him most to date – veteran Michael Robertson and Hopoate – had opened the door to a consistent first grade career following their retirement and missionary work respectively.

“I’ve talked to a few of the boys and they’ve all been pretty encouraging, saying that I might get a good crack this year,” he said.

“I wouldn’t have liked it, earning a spot that way – but that’s just the way it is with footy and life and those boys have chosen their paths.

“[It’ll] probably look after me. It’s exciting but I won’t believe in it until I’m there every week.

“Robbo – he’s always been good. Every time I’ve asked him anything he’s always given me twice as long a response as I deserved.

“Hoppa’s been good – being a close mate he’s been really good for my game. Just everyone in general. All the boys have always backed us young boys… never shy to give us a word.”

And Oldfield revealed his good friend was hoping to get the chance to play alongside him when the Blues star returned to the NRL in 2014.

“… He (Hopoate) would like to see me at Parramatta in years to come! He dropped that a couple of times!”

But Oldfield said he knows he needs to make significant improvement if he’s to hold down a first grade spot in 2012.

“I could name everything possible for a footy player, but probably just awareness and footy brains… just staying switched on and always on top of my game,” he said.

While he’s happy to concentrate on wing for now, Oldfield is eyeing an eventual move to the centres.

“Centre is much more enjoyable – you see a lot more of the ball,” he said. “But I think as someone who hasn’t got much experience I’d like to cement my spot on the wing and then maybe in the future move inside.”

He rates another winger who’s entering his fourth NRL season as his toughest opponent.

“It’d have to be [Jharal] Yow Yeh – he’s jumped over me once, twice and run past me a few times… so yeah, he’d have to be the best,” he said.

And can the Sea Eagles go back to back in 2012?

“Yep – 100 per cent,” he said. “It’s the same playing group, minus a few boys and I think there’s no difference with ‘Tooves’ (coach Geoff Toovey), so I think we’ll go the distance.”

http://www.nrl.com/the-new-hoppa-oldfield-talks-up-his-game/tabid/10874/newsid/65687/default.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hoppa jr is not as genuine as he portrays. He's told a few porkies and I hope god cracks down on him bigtime.

Im wondering what Hoppas mission is all about?? - something along the lines of approaching decent people and trying to convert them to a life of disloyality and dishonesty?

“… He (Hopoate) would like to see me at Parramatta in years to come! He dropped that a couple of times!”"

Yeah when it's all turned to **** ,as it will at Parra, then Hoppa will be looking to come back.

As Cam would say, "what a rex hunt". Seriously, turn your back on the team & area that gave you your first opposrtunity. I'm ok with people chasing the dollar - expecially if he has to support another 8 brother & sisters.

But don't coax further players to be turn-coats as well. That's just being a cock.

Jatz Crackers said:
I suspect the 13th paragraph of that article might grab all the attention here.
Just to move the topic back to likely 2012 Sea Eagles wingers, do any of the new wing signings excite interest? Of course we will all watch trials form , but someone on this Forum may have seen some of these newcomers play previously. Could there be a currently unheralded, but potential champion now with us amongst them?

there's a big kid in toyota cup called patrick sipley who is a big lad and pretty fast. Fingers crossed he can kick on as he looks the goods. I did read in Harold Matts squad in 2012 we have a standout already called Aaron Groom!! lol

I'm pretty sure the Hoppa comment re- teaming up at Parra was more tongue in cheek than anything.

Let's give the Hoppa bashing a break. The kids gone,let it go.

the mauler said:
I'm pretty sure the Hoppa comment re- teaming up at Parra was more tongue in cheek than anything.

Let's give the Hoppa bashing a break. The kids gone,let it go.

And while he was with us, he did us proud. The Sea Eagles developed a talent who became so good we could not afford to keep him .While this is a disappointment for Manly fans, we continue to enrich the game of Rugby League, maintaining the highest world class standards. We should be very confident of our continuing capacity to discover, motivate and progress players from tyro to international. Hoppa is one who is and will be just a part of many.

north coast eagle said:
Im wondering what Hoppas mission is all about?? - something along the lines of approaching decent people and trying to convert them to a life of disloyality and dishonesty?

And to get people believing in fairy tales.

To be honest the wing spots is what does worry me a little compared to previous seasons. Robbo very soild and wolfy did not have any injury concerns while hoppa simply amazing. Wolfy needs to turn back the clock and be injury free the other wing Oldfield will get first go in the chances he got on the flank he was a good finisher and very fast. But there is nothing concrete if he fails to deliver then Farrar or young Whare may get a chance.
I have to be honest i am looking forward to footy superleague starts in 2 weeks then we get over to the uk soon, let's turn the page on 2011 great year on the field disapointing off. I really think we can go back to back i really see the knights and parra as dark horses and the tigers and warriors our competition for the title the storm will fade.
Our top 17 picks itself barring injury come round 1
Snake, Oldfield, Matai, Killer, Wolfy, Foz, Cherry Evans, Gifty, Choc, Trex, Kite, Ballin, King. Bench: Lussick, Buhrer, Galavao, Rose.

G-land Express said:
hey mals that beer in your sig looks good. Is that an oktoberfest ( marzen) or a munich lager or a hefeweizen. I love german beer. My fav is a munich dunkel.

Hey G-Land Express from memory I think it was an Austrian beer, Stiegl lager.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6