Omar Slaimankhel....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

madmax

Bencher
image.ashx

The son of Afghan refugees, Omar Slaimankhel, 23, was rated as one of the game's greatest young talents several seasons ago after scoring 47 tries in 51 National Youth Competition games for the Warriors.
However after just five NRL games for the New Zealand-based franchise in 2012, he signed a lucrative deal with Japanese rugby club Canon Eagles (17 matches, 17 trys, 8 G, 2 FG).
He returned to rugby league midway through this year with Roosters feeder side Wyong Roos and was named in the NSW Cup team of the season.
Slaimankhel was born in Pakistan and moved to New Zealand when he was two.

I'm liking the sound of this guy (183cm / 90kg)......can play fullback / wing, can kick goals........& is quick! Was named Fullback in the NSW Cup Team of the Year 2015.
Hasn't played much 1st Grade, however was touted by Anthony Minichello as his possible successor at the Roosters!!! Played in the Roosters 9s team in Auckland 2016 before an arm injury in the 2nd match. RTS went on to become Roosters fullback. I know he's on a Train / Trial contract but he does sound promising!!

Last edited:
Has great evasive skills and a big thing missing recently....absolute top shelf support player around the ruck....Tom T is simply a freak who usually, creates by actually breaking the line with raw ability.....Omar has an extra vision to find space without a hand on him....not to compare the 2 as Turbo is imo already in the Elite class and Omar has plenty to prove to even hit NRL....but, has potential - which is better than a few other signings over the past 2 years.....

I don't know how people haven't come across this guy before! He was a real prospect at the Warriors! Left for rugby and then moved his way back to Australia! Played for sting Roos all year and blitzed it! Can play fullback centre and wing! Hopefully both Omar and Locke can kick on with the club!

I havent seen this guy play. But if his credentials are that good, lets hope one of the wing spots becomes available to him...or maybe centre if his defence is up to it and given we need one desperately

He's got a cpl highlights reels....scores half his tries against Manly!
Got a nice step, keen to see how he goes.

well he certainly can find the line when there is a Manly jersey on the field, lets hope that he keeps scoring at that rate for us.

I'm excited about both these guys Ryan. They have pace.....something you can't coach.

And they're trialing for their contracts. They're not guaranteed. Funny how motivated guys become under these circumstances.

They know there is an opportunity at Manly with the regeneration of our backline stocks.
Agreed. I mentioned at the start of the year that we should go after Omar - so glad it turned out that way. I think he will make the squad at some point and stay in once he does.

It's great to see these guys score tries but I want to see them stop them as well.

I'd like to think uate will be in nsw cup this year

If we traded Buhrer, for a reserve grader, Scott Penn has better not be in my vicinity when I've had a few drinks. I'll give him an absolute earful, and I ewouldn't care how many suits he has around him.

Hopefully that nitwit Abbott trying to leverage off us again to remain relevant.

Thanks Wombat for the snap shot of Omar's plays. I take it this is either U20s or NSW Cup. But watching those glimpses I must admit to being surprised that this kid is not in first grade. He seems to have it all. Bootlace defence, speed, quick off the mark, evasiveness, great vision for support play, never submits just keeps going. He could be a really exciting find if he can handle the top grade

Thanks Wombat for the snap shot of Omar's plays. I take it this is either U20s or NSW Cup. But watching those glimpses I must admit to being surprised that this kid is not in first grade. He seems to have it all. Bootlace defence, speed, quick off the mark, evasiveness, great vision for support play, never submits just keeps going. He could be a really exciting find if he can handle the top grade

Played 5 games of NRL for the warriors in 2012 before going to Rugby. Nothing at the roosters in 2015 then injured in the 9's and missed 2016.

Played 5 games of NRL for the warriors in 2012 before going to Rugby. Nothing at the roosters in 2015 then injured in the 9's and missed 2016.

Have his injuries slowed him down some. He actually looks good enough, with the vision for his support and boot lace defence, to be worthy of a centre spot. Has a lot of the characeristics of young Tom Wright. Could be interesting

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2