On the road again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
On the road again
THE Sea Eagles have confirmed they will play two Brookvale Oval games on the road next NRL season.

Games against the Knights (Gosford) and possibly the Broncos (Brisbane) will be held away from Manly’s home turf.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn told us this week it’s a simple case of number-crunching for the club.

To break even at Brookvale, Manly requires 14,000 fans to come through the gate.

At Gosford and Brisbane, the Sea Eagles are guaranteed a “significant” return, well-over six figures, which makes the away games all the more enticing.

We wonder how season ticket-holders feel about it?

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/pat-up-for-biggest-test/

Really no surprises there. That just leaves the question of where or how the PNG or Asian games can be played when they have used up their charter of two NRL games already.

i'm fine with the moving a game to brisbane. i think it's a great idea - especially with origin the wednesday before. i'm even considering going up depending on what day the manly game is on.

Hang on
So they have changed it again re Gosford games see below

Sea Eagles 2011 Draw announced
20/10/2010 3:12:06 PM
The Manly Sea Eagles will only have to wait until round 3 before they are back at Brookvale Oval in the 2011 season.

Having not played the Newcastle Knights at Brookvale since 2006, this will be a perfect game to play as the first one at Fortress Brookie!

Manly sea eagles site

If that is the case then  we play our 1st 5 games away.

davohan123 link said:
Hang on
So they have changed it again re Gosford games see below

Sea Eagles 2011 Draw announced
20/10/2010 3:12:06 PM
The Manly Sea Eagles will only have to wait until round 3 before they are back at Brookvale Oval in the 2011 season.

Having not played the Newcastle Knights at Brookvale since 2006, this will be a perfect game to play as the first one at Fortress Brookie!

Manly sea eagles site

If that is the case then  we play our 1st 5 games away.

Yep.

Members tix now only include 10 brookie games.This is to give value,when 2 "home" games are "away".

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290170409[/time]

According to the draw,if we play knights at bluetongue in round 3,our first home game at brookie will be round 6 (v Warriors).
r1-storm-away
r2-rorters-away
r3-knights-"home"
r4-souffs-away
r5-sharks-away
r6-warriors-home

so that will mean we play tigers at brookie then?? cos i thought it was the tigers and brisbane games we were taking away.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Knights at BT...Brisbane in the double header at Suncorp.

Put your house on it.

With your prowess I almost would Mark.You have a good strike rate.That would mean no 2nd game at BT,and no NZ,new guinea,asia,perth,or whatever else they come up with.

Matabele link said:
14,000 is not break even unless Council has jacked up the rent significantly.  More like 6,000.

You'd hope not because we'd struggle to make any coin if that was the case.  Our home average last year wasn't much more thant 14000 and that includes the home games not played at Brookie.

You can blame the tv scheduling for our low crowds, I think we had 3 home mnf games which kills the averages

How do clubs get a garanteed a signicant return for playing elsewhere? Do the grounds underwrite the contest?
Do councils or government pay for costs?
Does the NRL foot any bill?

Good question, I think the 'owners' of the ground guarantee a min $ amount, they get the sales of the corporate boxes, food/alchol, slice of the ticket sales and the club gets the min amount, merchandising and a portion of the tickets sales.

Could be completely wrong though

Matabele link said:
14,000 is not break even unless Council has jacked up the rent significantly.  More like 6,000.

In terms of ground rental and costs associated if breaking it down into that cost centre alone, i think 6,000 might be correct but in terms of the whole "Sea Eagles" breaking even, 14,000 would be closer to the mark.

Considering what we average, if 14,000 was break even, then we would have been rolling in cash the last few years/decades.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6