One for the Trivia Buffs (Re Origin and Interstate)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
Noticed with the 1981 Origin game they counted Interstate (1908 - 1980) games between NSW and QLD.
My question is when and why did they stop this?
Origin now has its own Win/Lost record.

I've noticed in other sports that have major changes in the rules they retain the previous records so why not Origin?

Brissie Kid said:
To make the Queenslanders feel better.

Exactly. If NSW manage one in a row then origin is doomed.

Unless of course they reset the count.

And call it something else.

Was it not a residents match Pre origin days? So Unlike today to play for NSW you have to be from NSW

State of Origin is just that, you play for the state where you were born and/or raised and played your junior footy. Unless of course you wish to play for Queensland, in which case you can be born in any state or country.

Prior to Origin, NSW vs Queensland sides were picked from players who were playing for clubs based in those states. Because the then NSWRL competition was the best comp in the country all the good football players were playing in Sydney. Therefore the NSW side contain a lot of Queensland born and bred players.

Correct, and NSW used those star players from Queensland to help thrash the Queensland state team time and again.

This is the reason Queenslanders became so annoyed about this and why they embraced the opportunity to have a 'real' Queensland team represent their state. When that team won, the Origin concept was up and running.

This is also the historical reason why Queensland teams are reputed to have more passion at times. They still feed off the resentment some Queenslanders feel about that olden-day injustice.

Though as time passes by, and after 7 series wins in a row, that may be starting to fade now...?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Correct, and NSW used those star players from Queensland to help thrash the Queensland state team time and again.

This is the reason Queenslanders became so annoyed about this and why they embraced the opportunity to have a 'real' Queensland team represent their state. When that team won, the Origin concept was up and running.

This is also the historical reason why Queensland teams are reputed to have more passion at times. They still feed off the resentment some Queenslanders feel about that olden-day injustice.

Though as time passes by, and after 7 series wins in a row, that may be starting to fade now...?

On the same token NSW players also played for QLD ie Clive Churchill, John Sattler

Chip and Chase said:
State of Origin is just that, you play for the state where you were born and/or raised and played your junior footy. Unless of course you wish to play for Queensland, in which case you can be born in any state or country.

Prior to Origin, NSW vs Queensland sides were picked from players who were playing for clubs based in those states. Because the then NSWRL competition was the best comp in the country all the good football players were playing in Sydney. Therefore the NSW side contain a lot of Queensland born and bred players.

I don't think it's a case of wanting to play for QLD, it's more a case of not wanting to play for NSW, which is understandable.

Says more about Queensland than NSW that they are prepared to prostitute their Queenslandness. We don't have any Maroons in our team because we wouldn't lower ourselves. I'd rather lose 10 in a row than accept a dirty Queenslanders help, especially a dirty Queenslander who's prepared to turn his back on his own state.

You're just racist. Will let Kiwi's and Fijians into the NSW side but not Queenslanders!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6