one game not a season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
i went on record early on to say we would have a very good year with the nucleus of 08 and stewy back and looked like an idiot week 1 and a genius week 2.the message from that and all the upsets is that last week means nothing now and the job needs to be done a against a side running hot.to beat the druggies we will need to be better than last week,particularly with our defence on the fringes.

it is the same with the players.one week DCE can't play,the next he is a future kangaroo captain.i have always said on this forum i think he will go great if given time but just as his first average game didnt dissappoint me,his second game does not make him a certian star.it is about consistentency by the side and each and every player.consistency in young halves is difficult so don't expect champion stuff every week from him.

newcastle will probably be close to favourites on Sunday and we we still have a few out so this week will tell us more about our side than a last man standing backs to the wall fight with the roosters.make no mistake,the knights can play and with them finally finding a good halves pairing they will be extremely dangerous.

I agree sue. I screwed up the result on Sunday, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we make it two from two. Manly will be on a high after pulling off a big upset win, a week's worth of newspaper idolisation and slaps on the back. It may be hard to stay up for another.

The Knights are ripping in in a very tradesman-like manner and that is the way towards consistency week in & out. I'm just hoping that seeing 5 long-shots get up this weekend that the boys realise that they have to put in every game or they won't win it. I'm also hoping that the Knights are complacent from their two wins and that will give us the edge.

agreed MB.Another point is that guys like Harrison,Mauro,Robinson etc played their hearts out  and I loved it but nothing I saw had star material plastered all over it as ome have suggested.They will get better with experience like all young forwards and it does give me a little more confidence in our bench. but what we do this year as opposed to 2012 onwards still will come down to seasoned,proven players putting in each and every week.choc will be key.he is busting his boiler right now and if the passes stick watch out.lyon and brett stewart must stay fit and shoulders must not get sent off.the top players will get the trophy for us,not 3 or 4 kids so they need to stand up and lead from the front.

Don't discount the wave of emotion surrounding Brett Stewart's return to Brookie. This will be huge, no doubt at all. Add to that the confidence the players will take from last week and the Knights will do well to keep up with us.

It's ideal timing really, and another strong performance will really set up our season nicely.

I agree with the above BUT self belief is a wonderful thing. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mal Reilly at a football function once and I asked him what he thought made a great footy side....he said "it's simple really at the end of the day each club side has a couple of great players, a couple of very good players and a couple of good club players with the rest being youngsters or average players....so really it's 20% ability and 80% attitude". I then said "is that why they say a champion team can always beat a team of champions"...answer "got it in one"

Last weeks result will to a lot to the attitude of the players, and whilst we may not win this weekend I reckon they'll be trying their guts out...and as a fan if they do that I am happy.

Yes no doubt this week is probably more season defining than last. it's how we backup from efforts like that, that will show what we are truly capable of. A victory against the knights will go a long way to instilling us with the confidence we can compete with all teams this year. I'm tipping a Knights victory here because I can't tip for ****.

All good points.  The Knights is definitely a danger game.  Hopefully the emotion of Brett's return will get us home.

You and me alike Mick...the girls in my office are killing me (again), they know buggar all about footy so just pick on team colours, which players they think are hot....you know the drum...me I analyse, see who's in and out, look at home ground advantage.

So far I am 2 from 16.

The leading girl is 12 from 16

What hope do I have(again) for 2011?

Considering our early bad luck with injuries and suspension (again) I'd be more than happy with 2 from 3 as a season opener.
I'm certainly not putting the cart before the horse but as SER8 stated the wave of emotion regarding Brett's first home game will be huge,
if ever a crowd can alter the outcome of a game surely it will be this Sunday...either way this team has heart and as a supporter who can ask for more.

Watch the Knights second half against the Cowboys and they let in a lot of points.
Now watch our second half against a near full strength Roosters defensively very tight.

The week before's outcome often says a lot about what the outcome will be the following week

One game can build the foundations to a great season, That win against the grand finalist that played with a full streangth team was no fluke . it was a win that had character , toughness. ability. Newcastle are a good side and so were the roosters and look what we did to them . Can we beat the knights at home with  a pumped up VENOMOUS SNAKE and a team that is full of confidence after last weeks memorable win?  
Bloody oath we can!!!!

dont worry bozo,i expect us to win also but am just making the point that this game will tell us a lot more about our side.

susan link said:
agreed MB.Another point is that guys like Harrison,Mauro,Robinson etc played their hearts out  and I loved it but nothing I saw had star material plastered all over it as ome have suggested.They will get better with experience like all young forwards and it does give me a little more confidence in our bench. but what we do this year as opposed to 2012 onwards still will come down to seasoned,proven players putting in each and every week.choc will be key.he is busting his boiler right now and if the passes stick watch out.lyon and brett stewart must stay fit and shoulders must not get sent off.the top players will get the trophy for us,not 3 or 4 kids so they need to stand up and lead from the front.

Disagree with part of that, to win a trohpey these days with the salray cap you need 3 or 4 kids to come in and play well above their paycheck on conjunction with the top players earning theirs. We had guys like Wolfman, Glenn Stewart, Hall steped up in 08 and get us over the line, Brisbane and the queens have done the same in recent times and who would have given the tigers squad half a chance at the start of 05.

Yeah tipping competitions suck. 6 from 16 and the same, girls on top who have no idea. Then again girls on top can be a good thing.

I thought mosoe and nuasala were going to beat us to a pulp, the guys are just bloody huge and run like freight trains but we contained them well, and Foz running in to put a hit on one of the biggest guys on the field was just magic, even though he probably came off second best, it really set the tone.

If we can put some muscle on Uate and the other big fellas at the nights we should be able to run over the top of them. Housten had a good game for them last week, and if we can further contain him and his offloads then we should walk it in

fluffy

agree they young blokes will have to do a job.no doubt.but unless the stars aim up we can't threaten the title.the real advantage the young blokes give is that they can liven up the proven players with enthusiasm which can sometimes wain when the same playing group goes around year after year.

I can see one important factor this week being that the performance of Buhrer/Robinson/Harrison has placed some of the incumbant squad on notice.

There has been some lethargy in some parts of the team. But there is now an obvious competition for spots and this will dust off any complacency. Big factor IMO.  

Yes, a competition to get into the team.  What we lacked last year.  Probably a good thing some injuries and a suspension or two happened.

Ant80 link said:
Watch the Knights second half against the Cowboys and they let in a lot of points.
Now watch our second half against a near full strength Roosters defensively very tight.

The week before's outcome often says a lot about what the outcome will be the following week

The performance of the cowboys was very ordinary. One of the worst I've seen in a while. They really weren't having a dig and I suspect that Neil Henry will not last the season. There is something really rotten in FNQ. Maybe they're still under water.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6