Orford to Eels

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
He will be a good signing for them, even though some will try to argue otherwise
no arguements there.. they always had ok forwards just no direction in the halves.. could be good for them but i hope we still smash them & him nxt yr..

Kiwi Eagle link said:
He will be a good signing for them, even though some will try to argue otherwise

Waiting for DSM5 to provide his thoughts.....

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=185693.msg301184#msg301184 date=1286337086]

Waiting for DSM5 to provide his thoughts.....
[/quote]

The jousting stick is ready

Rambo1987 link said:
Stephen Kearney has confirmed that Parra will sign Orford once he gets out of his contract at Bradford

He signed a three year deal with Bradford at the end of 09. I hope they make his getting out of the deal difficult. Ox has proved a mercenary whose commitment to a club means nothing.

It was on foxtel today and when they were talking to Kearney and he said his first thing to do will be sign Orford... He will be signed.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286371320[/time]

Parra board agrees to give Kearney final say on players Greg Prichard
October 7, 2010

PARRAMATTA'S new coach, Stephen Kearney, says he has received an assurance from the club's board that he will be in charge of hiring and firing players.

Kearney has signed a three-year contract with the Eels following the sacking of Daniel Anderson, who was two years into a three-year deal.

There had been reports Anderson didn't have the final say on players at the club. Asked yesterday if he had sought an assurance at a board meeting he attended last Tuesday week that he would have the final say on players, Kearney replied: ''One of the key points in making this decision was that before we came to any agreement I needed to have that assurance.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''So I met with the board and expressed that I needed to be in control of the football side of things, and I felt very comfortable once I left the board meeting that I had that. So, from that point of view, yeah, I think I do. I don't think as a footy coach you can look at it any other way.

''They've given me the role of looking after the footy team, and as part of my responsibility they need to let me be able to do that.''

When it was suggested that the fact Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo had publicly assured Anderson of his job on August 18 only to preside over the board's sacking of him on September 26 wouldn't fill a new coach with confidence, Kearney said he was thinking only of the future, not the past.

''We can sit here all day and talk about the process in terms of what happened but, for me, I'm not interested in what has happened,'' the 38-year-old said. ''My immediate focus is on what I've got to do, the job that I've got here, and what I've got to do to get the footy club back to what it should be doing.''

Anderson's demise and Kearney's appointment for next season gives Parramatta their fifth coach in six years, commencing with Brian Smith for the first half of 2006, Jason Taylor for the rest of '06, Michael Hagan (2007-08) and Anderson for the past two seasons.

But despite the high turnover, Kearney said he was ''not looking at when I'll be going'' and was instead excited about working with a team he believes has enormous potential. The Eels made the grand final last year but failed to make the finals this season.

Kearney, who has prepared for a first-grade coaching role by assisting Craig Bellamy for many years at Melbourne, said signing an established halfback or five-eighth was a priority, and that former Manly and Storm halfback Matt Orford was in his sights.

''I know Matty fairly well from my time in Melbourne, and I know he's keen to come back down to the NRL, and that's something we've got to work through,'' Kearney said. ''I'll be talking to him in the next couple of weeks. We were supposed to meet today but there was a stuff-up with the dates. He's in Bali at the moment.''

Orford is contracted to English club Bradford, who would require a transfer fee to release him. Eels chief Paul Osborne said the club would consider paying such a fee.

It's certainly going to be interesting watching him & his performance!
Let's hope he goes missing for them too!
...Of all teams, Parra... *Shakes Head*

The radio this morning said that bradford expect Orford to turn up for pre season training when he finishes his holiday in Bali.   

Whilst never on the bask Orford bandwagon, I expect this will go pear-shaped for the Eels.  First Orford is 2 years older and he was already fraying in 2009.  Second the Eels won;t be able to lay an apropriate platform for him.

But mainly, Orford won a Premiership in 2008 with Stewart sweeping into backline moves and creating doubt in the opposition.  The only doubt we'll see with the Eels is the keystone cops routine that will happen as Hayne and Orford will both want to play first fiddle in the playmaking stakes.  It should be great comedic value if Orford manages to stay on the field. 

I wonder if he will take their dropouts? Orford is a lot better than some give him credit for - the issue in the end is value for money and whether he will make the players around him look better. Hayne, with the right direction, is a superb player.

I will laugh if Orford take his 20 metre dribblers when Hayne can boom them 60.  Just more grist for the mill that these two egos won;t co-exist.

Orford won't stay fit enough to last a full NRL season at his age.  He had constant leg injuries for the last couple of seasons he played with us and now he is coming back after fairly major shoulder surgery.  The little fellas body is wearing out.

Desperate slime

Orford was massively struggling in his last year, hence off to England, will start off well but drop away as season progresses. Just read Johnny Lewis's book, top read!! mentions Kosta needed so much more time to recover after hard training sessions etc at 35, he couldn't do what he used to, Orford couldn't see out 20 odd rounds, bit like Gulavou, Perry etc as well,

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7