Orford to win the Clive Churchill this year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
it came to me in a dream.

It has happened in my mind and will happen in just over 9 months time

mark my words

PS good 10,00th?

Manly need to cut its dead weight - and that's King / Willow.
We have depth enough to put in impact players now. Not plodders.
I'd be quite interested in Willow's 2008 average metres gained for a forward. I'd say somewhere close to 15....and that just doesn't cut it in this competition.

Examples of "workers" in other teams are Allan Tongue / Dallas Johnson...and I think they add a crap load more than slow-mow-willow.

Ryan your King comment is a bit silly, he was vastly improved last season.

Totally agree as far as the cougar is concerned

Don't forget that King was comming off a very low base the previous year so it wasn't hard for him to improve last year.

The problem with King was that he didn't step up a gear in the semi's and like a few others actually went down a gear or two in the GF.  King is on big bucks and we could use his money to buy a really good prop.  He isn't that much better than plodders like Bryant and Hall.

Willo obviously still has the photos of Dessie

Fro link said:
Ryan your King comment is a bit silly, he was vastly improved last season.

Totally agree as far as the cougar is concerned

I kind of thought someeone would say that, and this is where I think Manly need to be ruthless, as upposed to solid.
We say King had a good year because he rose his avergage metres from 45 odd to 65 odd (not correct, but close enough). We need to measure our STARTING prop against other starting props. A 31+ year old Steve Price makes on AVERAGE 200+ metres.

King is a plodder.

The only reason people are happy with his performance IMO, is that it is an improvement from his last poop year.

Actually he made 15 metres in the GF or something didn't he in 07? I remember a game in 05, where he made 6 metres against The Sharks or something !!

That said, you can probably have a forward that makes 10-50 metres a game if they add other attributes to the team. The problem with us is that slow-mo is ALSO in the starting lineup, meaning Kite, Watmough, G. Stewart have to lift their workrate to cover these bums.

I'd like to see Willow in PL, King on the bench. 10 interchanges now. Kings 12 minutes per 1/2 just won't cut it !!

King was sensational and one of the top props for two thirds of the season. Why he dropped off I will probably never know, but he can do it.

Bums is incredibly harsh. I have said this for months, we will most likely be in the GF this year. I like the team we have. I can't wait for the season to start to watch a certain yoyo bounce up and down again :p

Backer & Byso - that is where we will fail. Mediocrity being tolerated guys.

Look at Bellamy....makes the tough decisions:-

Webster - Premier League
Geyer - Bench
Scott Hill - Premier League
Billy Slater - Premier League

etc etc etc. It's why they are just plain ruthless.

I'd like us in the same boat.

We need guys that can make an impact in games. Players that aren't slow and plodding.

You'll see that with 10 interchange now, plodders will be exposed....and for us, that's slow-mo & King.

I'm not saying we are the only club with plodders either, but the game as a whole is evolving from The Jason King type prop. Look at George Rose.....at least he has an offload in him, and when getting tackled, can still make a few metres.

King is one dimensional, and looks like he gets hammered every time he runs the ball up, only to get pushed back 1-2 metres.

And Byso:-

Stewart, Robertson, Hicks, Bell, Lyon, Orford, Kite, Monaghan, Ballin, Watmough, G Stewart, Hall, Rose, Cuthbertson all added more IMO than King.

King may have out done Matai, Slow-Mo, and that's about it. At least Matai shows some potential if he is groomed right.

Ryan, Kings average metrtes did not rise from 45 metres in 06 to 65 metres in 07.

Last year Kings average metres were 112. Kites was 130 Bryant 86.

Kings average tackle count was 21.5. Kite was 24. Bryant was 19.3

Since we dont know yet if Perry will become what we all want him to be, what are you suggesting we do Ryan ?

Perry is looking pretty fit from the photos I have seen, a change of clubs is probably just what he needed to get back his best form.

As for King, he is not the best prop going around but he was pretty damn good last year.  If he can reproduce that form we would be crazy to drop him. 

King was 15th in average metres for a prop,

out of the 14 above him, 11 have played for their country and or SOO

Ryan a big reason we got where we did was because of our two bookend laying a great foundation allowing orford and monas to work plays in the background.

If Perry makes it to the party then Orford should have a very good starting base to make his name.

Average metres are only one measure of a prop's value. Game time has a significant impact on this. King did much better last year and there were not huge problems with our prop rotation up until the Grand Final where we blown off the park, though that was not just the props. Time will tell.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Ryan, Kings average metrtes did not rise from 45 metres in 06 to 65 metres in 07.

Last year Kings average metres were 112. Kites was 130 Bryant 86.

Kings average tackle count was 21.5. Kite was 24. Bryant was 19.3

Since we dont know yet if Perry will become what we all want him to be, what are you suggesting we do Ryan ?

Wow, those stats actually shocked me there. 112 metres (on average) is actually very damned good. I knew I was wrong with my figures (was actually just guessing and said as much). Jeez. What can I say?

Maybe I'm wrong here. I'd like to argue..but 112 metres really speaks for itself. Espescially if you consider that he made around sub 20 in the GF, and only played 19-20 odd games. If he performed in the big one, he's probably be up to circa 120 !!

All right guys. Point taken on King.

That said, how does slow-mo hold up?

Where did you get the stats Jatz (not to prove you wrong or anything - just to check out stuff like Willow etc)?

Jason had a sensational year and was right up there with Asotasi as the best prop in 2007.

He was aggresive and really got his spindly legs pumping.  He told me in the offseason that he can't wait to meet up with Crocker again and is going to really give it to him next time.  He thinks probably soemthing like an accidental head clash so that way he won't remember what he is doing.

Go chcken legs in 2008.

My brave prediction is that Perry will prove to be one of the buys of the year.  With the Knights he'd pull off one sensational hit-up/break a game and then blow up.

Under Dessie I'm expecting he'll average 3+ tackle breaks per game. 

If Perry is firing it will up the ante once again on King.

Rose won't be anywhere near First Grade this year.

Ryan link said:
Where did you get the stats Jatz (not to prove you wrong or anything - just to check out stuff like Willow etc)?

I confirm that 122metres is correct.  More than double what he achieved the previous few years.

I think you will find Willow averages 30+ tackles per game with a very good effective tackle rate.  Comparing him to Tongue and Johnson is a bit unfair, given their pay packets in relation to his.  Johnson is an Origin player and in my opinion NSW should pick Tongue. 

Willow is a journeyman who plugs a hole for very little $.  If we're talking value for money (which allows us to purchase people like Lyon etc) then I think he's good value. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4