• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you believe Matt Orford is the man to take us to a Premiership?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

clontaago

First Grader
I just dont think he has the composure to be able to give us back to back sets and put sides under pressure. He rarely finds the in goal with his kicks, and his bombs are always 10 metres too far back for his chasers to put any pressure on the opposition.

I think without being able to sustain pressure, we cant win it. Unless he is able to come up with some drastic changes I just dont think we are able to beat the Storm.

I believe he's still injured and needs a rest. He is the only halfback we have that can take us to a premiership in 08. His kicking game early in the season was far better than it is now. I dare say if Lyon didnt get injured, then Ox most likely would have had a couple of weeks off and come back around about now at 100%

Orfiord was better when we had him before he went to the storm.  Now he seems to struggle to get through a season and always seems to carry leg injuries.   

Manly should have gone for cronk and not orford.  And we could have got him at half the price.  We mised out on Mitchell Pearce because he didn't want to wait two years in reserve grade behind orford. 

He is too easy to shut down and he is still to perform and win us a big game.  The last game against the storm showed that nothing has changed. 

Our best hope for this year is for a team whio the storm seem to struggle againts such as either Parra or Warriors to finish 8th and beat the storm in the first week of the semis. 

Mitchell Pearce suffers from the same syndrome that Orford has.  It's called 'blind bunny syndrome'.  Persons afflicted fall apart when under extreme pressure and take poor options.  I'd give LeStrange a go at half.  Can't be worse, might be better.     

Theres no way we should change the team at this stage of the year, you're all mad! How do you know Lestrange is going to be better, has he ever put a kick in? And are we going to put Orford at nine?
And I'd rather he stayed there next year, who else can we get who's better than him? Carney wouldn't last long here, the Nthn Beaches have one of the highest nabbing rates for drink driving in the state.

I'd like to give Orford the benefit of the doubt and just assume he's carrying an injury, or maybe even a couple of injuries. While his long kicking game has never been great, his short kicking game CAN be great. Think about the way he built pressure against the Sharks at Shark Park, or even when we played the Roosters at Brookvale. His running game can also be great. It's just that, for the last few months, we haven't seen it. We know he's been hurt, and we know he's no longer taking goal kicks, so we know he's not 100 per cent. If your legs aren't right, it's hard to get the ball to do what you want it to do.
We can't change our halfback at this stage, so the big question is, can he get over the injury before the season comes to an end?

You don't change a winning formula at this time of the year. My guess is that the staff are working with Orford. Hopefully last year will have taught us something.

Quite amusing to remember this forum when the chase for Orford was on, all the experts were adament he was top shelf and going to lead us to big things.

How times change

He has the capacity to be top shelf Kiwi. Does he have the attitude though?
I personally believe he is nowhere NEAR as animated as he used to get at The Storm.

I hope he's just not hanging around for the ride.
He needs to evolve as a player.

At his best, he's the best NSW 1/2 back in the competition IMO.

its obvious to everyone that Orford is injured that is why i'm not too disappointed at his form. If he was fully fit he would be taking the goal kicks instead of Matai. This and the fact that our secondary play maker got injured means our only play maker in our team is on one leg.

This combination of missing lyon & Orfords injury has meant a slide in form for both the player and the team.

Orford was great in the final last year which was a big game. He's not going to be dropped even if his poor performance cost us the game v. the storm (helped by some crucial momentum killers from other esteemed players). He did win us the storm game at brookie last year with a field goal as I recall.  I wish he'd run the ball a bit more as he seems to get too caught up in the playmaker role when a big part of his value is punching holes in the defence. Probably another indicator he's playing on one leg right now.

Orford and hopefully Lyon are our best halves combo and I don't see why we can't win the GF with them (both of them that is). A long way to go yet before that's something to really worry about though....

If Orford wants 2 more years beyond 2009 then I think he needs to reconcile himself to a pay cheque more than half of his current rate. 

Just for the record the poll isnt about who should play half, I believe he is our best option at half. I'm not suggesting for a second that we throw someone else in there now.

The poll is do you believe we can win a premiership with him at half. I dont think we can.

Orford's never been my player of choice KE.  His deficiencies were obvious last year and they are on show again this year.  'He's there because there's no one else' seems to be the chorus.  Maybe you're right, and then again, maybe he should be rested for a couple of weeks and LeStrange put in at 7.  Give the little guy's groin time to settle.  LeStrange and Beaver could work.  We'd have another spot on the bench for Cuthbo.  Ballin to play the full 80.  Couldn't be any worse.

I notice a lot of people saying L'Estrange should be in the 7

What is everybody basing this on ? He has shown no signs of a kicking game at all, don't even remember him kicking tbh

I said 'give the guy a go and see how it goes'.  At the moment we don't have a kicking game to worry anyone so nothing lost.  If Ballin was a full 80 player he could kick more.  But on the other hand we could start running the ball when in the attacking zone.  On Sunday when we ran the ball straight we looked dangerous and tries were scored.  Our kicking game was poor which just let them of the hook.  When Orford runs its to lateral for me and in my opinion cramps the outside backs.  Give him a break to get his head in order. 

DSM5 link said:
I said 'give the guy a go and see how it goes'.  At the moment we don't have a kicking game to worry anyone so nothing lost.  If Ballin was a full 80 player he could kick more.  But on the other hand we could start running the ball when in the attacking zone.  On Sunday when we ran the ball straight we looked dangerous and tries were scored.  Our kicking game was poor which just let them of the hook.  When Orford runs its to lateral for me and in my opinion cramps the outside backs.  Give him a break to get his head in order. 

I agree and disagree with your post, there’s not doubt when Orford’s 100% on his game he an excellent player, but the problem I see is that those days are too irregular for some one being paid as one of the games elite players.

Great players inspire the people around them, and unfortunately I really don’t see Mat as an inspirational player filling those round him with confidence, but maybe the guys playing with him do, who knows. I just get the feeling he may be perceived as being a great bloke but that he may not have that extra something that fills the team with confidence when there down buy a few points.

Plenty can happen in the next 6 weeks. So yes we can win the comp, provinding Jamie Lyon is back fit and well.

he is in the same boat as the bloke he replaced, in desperate need of a decent 5/8.

Lyon finally got there and we won 7 straight and is going to be the bloke who leads us there if we make it.

what so its okay to bag Monas with the rubbish he had around him.. Chad Randall supplying great service.. along with some other **** players.

Yet the star studded team we have now is not good enough for Orford to show his potential? what utter bull****. Orford is a joke. Monas was worth his $250,000 contract..  Orford on $500,000... thats the real joke.

Monas thrived with this squad when he was at half back early last season.. we were undefeated with him at half. Orford got us to the final? Go watch the semi final again last season and tell me who really dragged us through that game.

Anyway..  I really really hope this kid we got from Parra is ready for next season and we release Orford to England.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7