Origin ratings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Paul Suttor rates all 34 players in Origin I. Mark Gasnier was the best while a string of players scored just five. Do you agree with his assessment?
NSW

1 Brett Stewart Backed up well to score NSW's third try but didn't see many other attacking opportunities. 6
2 Jarryd Hayne Didn't set the world on fire but importantly, didn't set up any tries for Queensland this year. 6
3 Mark Gasnier Showed his class by laying on a try for Brett Stewart and the match-winner for Anthony Laffranchi. Ooh la la. 9
4 Matt Cooper While the other St George Illawarra centre was the Blues' attacking kingpin out wide, this Dragon provided the defensive starch. 7
5 Anthony Quinn Silenced his many knockers and repaid the faith shown by both of his supporters by scoring the first two tries. 8
6 Greg Bird Will never be a traditional five-eighth but showed his rugged style is ideal for Origin. 8.5
7 Peter Wallace Great debut, kicked with purpose, passed well and organised the Blues like a veteran. 8.5
8 Ben Cross Started on the bench, and Queensland wished he stayed there after a series of barging runs shortly after he came on. 7
9 Danny Buderus There's no doubt he is down on his career peak of a few years ago but still good enough for Origin. Retiring at the right time. 7
10 Brett White Still yet to dominate an Origin but is definitely tough enough to keep trying. 7
11 Willie Mason Played his enforcer role, driving the Maroons backward in attack and defence. 7
12 Ryan Hoffman His membership of the forwards union is under review after he was crunched three times by a five-eighth and required medical assistance. Saved a try with desperation tackle on Brent Tate. 6
13 Paul Gallen Repeatedly ran out of the line on an angle to pull off a big hit, usually with good results. 7
Interchange
14 Ben Hornby Filled in for Danny Buderus in the second half. Wasn't needed apart from that. 6
15 Craig Fitzgibbon Promoted to the starting side, and did all that was asked of him, as he always does. 8
16 Anthony Laffranchi A whopping 38 tackles and a try proves this debutant can cut the mustard at Origin level. 7
17 Anthony Tupou Still hasn't proved his credentials as a legitimate representative player. 5
Queensland

1 Billy Slater His club coach Craig Bellamy told the Blues to kick at Slater and smash him into oblivion at every opportunity. It did the trick. 5
2 Brent Tate Queensland's best, got heavily involved and was rewarded with a skilful put-down for a try on the stroke of half-time. 7
3 Greg Inglis Had a quiet first half, was apparently on the field in the second half although many spectators will need to double-check the replay to make sure. 5
4 Justin Hodges His kick-chasing game was solid, if nothing else. 6
5 Israel Folau The NSW ploy of kicking to Slater not only reduced the fullback's effectiveness but also blunted Folau's explosiveness. Wasted on the wing, he needs to be in the centres for game two. 5
6 Karmichael Hunt Smashed Ryan Hoffman three times like Wally Lewis, but did little else like the King. Perhaps a Prince would have been a better option. 6
7 Johnathan Thurston Tried to spark the Maroons but didn't make an impact apart from just before half-time when he kicked for Brent Tate's try. 6
8 Carl Webb Unsurprisingly the first player benched. 6
9 Cam Smith Heavily marked out of dummy-half, couldn't get his team on the front foot. 7
10 Petero Civoniceva Another Maroon well contained by the NSW forwards. 7
11 Michael Crocker Had not suffered a loss since he was on the wrong end of a clash with the authorities at a Coogee hotel a few years ago, but his long winning streak finally came to an end. 7
12 Sam Thaiday Toiled hard but couldn't break the Blues' defensive wall. 6
13 Dallas Johnson Nearly tackled himself to a standstill before an accidental knee from Willie Mason meant the concussed lock couldn't stand still. 7
Interchange
14 PJ Marsh Abbreviated game time for PJ. 5
15 Ben Hannant Built like Shane Webcke but doesn't lay a foundation like him - yet. 6
16 Nate Myles Threw away possession at a crucial moment in the second half. 5
17 Jacob Lillyman His family members and close friends noticed his efforts. 5
Paul Suttor
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sinbin/archi...r_ratings.html

I thought Stewart was worth more like 7 to 7.5, maybe I am bias!!!  He was there to clean everything up and did not put a foot wrong.  Would have to have the best all round game of all No 1's imo.

over-rated by 0.5 to 1 point - Gaz, Bird and Fitzgerbil

under-rated by 0.5 to 1 point - Stewey, Cooper and Laffranchi

I thought it was a smart move starting Cross on the bench so that he didn't get overawed, it gave us time to settle into a good pattern and took the pressure off him when he did come on. I would be tempted to start him in game 2 instead of Mason or Hoffman.

Who gives a flying about the Banjo players, but I think 7 maximum is a fair assessment of their impact.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2