Our aggression

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
last night we lost the game but won the fight. We belted parra physically. They had 3 maybe 4 players leave the field as a result.
A better team would have won. A great side would have flogged them because of it. Like our 70s champs played like that.
It was one aspect I loved last night, I say keep it going.

Channeling just 2% of that aggression into a tactic that has the try line as a goal would have been helpful.
Agreed. And I think it shows where we actually are as a team. A side with some confidence in their play and patterns would have scored 3 tries against them. Parramatta recently have turned it up when behind but we couldn't cross the line. I want them to keep the aggro to give us a point of difference.
It can be used by inferior teams to put the better ones off.
Plus I loved watching the slime get injured.

Aggression is something you really need to control, it's a fine line between being intimidating and being tough and playing one up man ship for the sake of it. Last night I think we fell a little into the one up manship, and I do believe that will happen occassionally, and I can live with that. I'd prefer the odd game of that rather than see us get bullied like we have at times in 2015 and the start of this year.

The golden era of 07 to 13 our forward pack was very intimidating, and I believe they earned that mantle with years of rock solid ball smashing defence. But rarely did they cross the line into getting sidetracked, sure there was the odd time with Watmough or matai, but on the whole they were very impressive.

Lussick has multiplied his value this year through SMART aggression.

Dumb aggression cost us that game.
Yep. That's what I meant about good sides and great ones. We had plenty of controlled aggro in the 70s when we had great sides but we had some dumb stuff too. Harvey, Ian Martin in the semi against parra in 76 kept ripping the whinging ray price's headgear off giving away multiples.
But now an average team we can't overcome that..... those sides could.
But I'd like too keep it going because it gives us that factor that puts sides off their game.
It's going to cost us, sure but what cost us against parra was ball control and lack of tactical adjustments.

The forwards took it up hard and defended tough ... unfortunately the halves didn't capitalize on that

Yep. That's what I meant about good sides and great ones. We had plenty of controlled aggro in the 70s when we had great sides but we had some dumb stuff too. Harvey, Ian Martin in the semi against parra in 76 kept ripping the whinging ray price's headgear off giving away multiples.
But now an average team we can't overcome that..... those sides could.
But I'd like too keep it going because it gives us that factor that puts sides off their game.
It's going to cost us, sure but what cost us against parra was ball control and lack of tactical adjustments.
I suspect we'd agree many things contribute, and that to excel we need to improve them all. How I see these two incidents:

1. Once the ball hit the deck, Starling's prime focus had to be on helping us take that huge advantage. He not only totally nullified that advantage but gave the opposition two very, very cheap points.

2. Same with Kapow. Once the ball bypassed French, and even more so when it hit the deck, Kapow's prime focus had to be on pulling out of the big hit. Even a simple grab of French would not have drawn attention. With that obsession to hit no matter what, he nullified all of his work and all of his teammates' work for the entire game. He pulls out of the cheap shot, we win the game. Simple as that. It was as dumb as that shoulder charge that got him suspended for 3 weeks and which may have cost us wins in those games.

Lussick used to not control himself in situations like that. Now he does and plays with highly intense but effective aggression. Starling and Kapow need to learn from Lussick.

I suspect we'd agree many things contribute, and that to excel we need to improve them all. How I see these two incidents:

1. Once the ball hit the deck, Starling's prime focus had to be on helping us take that huge advantage. He not only totally nullified that advantage but gave the opposition two very, very cheap points.

2. Same with Kapow. Once the ball bypassed French, and even more so when it hit the deck, Kapow's prime focus had to be on pulling out of the big hit. Even a simple grab of French would not have drawn attention. With that obsession to hit no matter what, he nullified all of his work and all of his teammates' work for the entire game. He pulls out of the cheap shot, we win the game. Simple as that. It was as dumb as that shoulder charge that got him suspended for 3 weeks and which may have cost us wins in those games.

Lussick used to not control himself in situations like that. Now he does and plays with highly intense but effective aggression. Starling and Kapow need to learn from Lussick.
I said on another thread I wasn't impressed that we signed Lussick but glad to be wrong. He's going great.
Still borderline but I think he sees the need for it.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8