Our Depth Size and Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well said kiwi. The king dog is part of the fabric of our great club and suggestions that he should be cast aside are disgraceful

We've lost 3 guys who played tight and never strayed. A job that must be done.

Kitey does this job for us but does anyone else notice him start to drift a little wider and worse still attempt to be a ball player.

Brenton does the same job but also has little flashes of "I'm a back" syndrome.

George actually stuck to his role yesterday and I thought he was very effective.

Choc was his usual self. But you can't expect everyone to perform like him.

I still think we have the troops to send the Dogs packing as long as we keep it simple and hang on to the ball.

what people blindly miss somehow is that any club missing 3 of the top 5 players from any position struggle big time.

Fluffy said:
what people blindly miss somehow is that any club missing 3 of the top 5 players from any position struggle big time.

I stated as much in my first line in relation to "current depth" missing all those forwards and not unearthing new explosive up the middle go forward with footwork is going to kill us.

Our forwards in the general sense in terms of explosive size and footwork combined with skill are a generation behind, even some of our backline is lacking a size factor but not as important.

The start of the season with all our troops we were playing at a higher faster intensity than any other team could match a step above but it is impossible to sustain that speed for the entire year.

We want to play fast and direct but lacking that punch up the middle.

When we start to lose field position around 15/20mins after either penalties level out or the intensity wears off we start to offload more or risk more lateral passing to make the same yardage but this time under fatigue causing "unforced errors" to mount up.

A weak bench that is not offering much impact does not help also it's just that time of year where we have to grind out as many points as possible made doubly as hard with a flawed attacking structure.

Hard to say outmuscled by some of these TOP sides- I recall that Souths game & imo its the ONLY game I have seen the Burgess boys absolutely battered & dominated.
The Roosters game we lost due to being unable to keep speed with them, especially those quick play the balls & Friend & co able to slows ours down - often questionably.
That NZ game was about to become a blowout at 12-0 & twice there were odd calls that changed the momentum, still only a Wolf whisker from victory & the panic about fowards would not be here.
Foward battles do usually decide the outcome, but imo with Fa'asso returning, that extra bit of mongrel will rival ANY other pack in the big games.
Its been more execution squandering excellent field position that needs to be transformed into points - the fowards are getting us there consistently.
Gift at full fitness & Ritchies return will get us there.

Technical Coach said:
Fluffy said:

I stated as much in my first line in relation to "current depth" missing all those forwards and not unearthing new explosive up the middle go forward with footwork is going to kill us.

Our forwards in the general sense in terms of explosive size and footwork combined with skill are a generation behind, even some of our backline is lacking a size factor but not as important.

The start of the season with all our troops we were playing at a higher faster intensity than any other team could match a step above but it is impossible to sustain that speed for the entire year.

When we start to lose field position around 15/20mins after either penalties level out or the intensity wears off we start to offload more or risk more lateral passing to make the same yardage but this time under fatigue causing "unforced errors" to mount up.

A weak bench that is not offering much impact does not help also it's just that time of year where we have to grind out as many points as possible made doubly as hard with a flawed attacking structure.

you have lost me, are you suggesting we don't injure 3 top line prop type plaerers (if so then how) of are you saying we crystal ball that this year we need extreme prop type player depth (if so can i borrow that ball)

From what I am seeing, you are pretty close to the mark, TC. A little more ball control wouldn't go astray either.

we'll be there in September how long we last is another question.

It's starting to worry me we haven't put a side away for a while

Fluffy said:
Technical Coach said:
Fluffy said:

you have lost me, are you suggesting we don't injure 3 top line prop type plaerers (if so then how) of are you saying we crystal ball that this year we need extreme prop type player depth (if so can i borrow that ball)

Are you the "Mr But" guy that tries to come across as making a contribution but is merely just taking the opposite side out of habit and lacking any well thought out ideas/opinions.

Toovey is aware we lack explosive punch up the middle since last season that is one of the reasons why we purchased Ritchie Fa'aoso and Lawrence.

All i'm saying is even with those purchases we require a few more for depth and at the moment we don't have any new young talent filling the void.

We are down three top line forwards and "at the moment" no signs of potential to even half fill the void.(not up with the lower grades and don't have the time for that much research unless paid to do so)

The amount of physical effort we put into the South and Roosters games in the past would be more than enough to grind out a win and come over the top. These days Manly are starting to lose the arm wrestle and other teams are better able to absorb our punishment matching us physically and are also stronger physically to counter when required.

In the past our strong physical presence was enough to win the close games compensating for our flawed attack, these days it is not enough and we have to start playing smarter and be more clinical.

Obviously with a full compliment of players we would be performing better and we can still win this comp but nevertheless we are showing the signs of a lack of depth and a generation behind in our forward pack stocks.

MK Eagle said:
Hard to say outmuscled by some of these TOP sides- I recall that Souths game & imo its the ONLY game I have seen the Burgess boys absolutely battered & dominated.
The Roosters game we lost due to being unable to keep speed with them, especially those quick play the balls & Friend & co able to slows ours down - often questionably.
That NZ game was about to become a blowout at 12-0 & twice there were odd calls that changed the momentum, still only a Wolf whisker from victory & the panic about fowards would not be here.
Foward battles do usually decide the outcome, but imo with Fa'asso returning, that extra bit of mongrel will rival ANY other pack in the big games.
Its been more execution squandering excellent field position that needs to be transformed into points - the fowards are getting us there consistently.
Gift at full fitness & Ritchies return will get us there.

I did not say "out muscled" what i'm saying is more teams are able to absorb what we dish out and stay in the arm wrestle.

Mind you at times we are getting out muscled in periods but the point i'm trying to make is instead of leading the pack physically we are coming back to the pack.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4