Our left side defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kalvin

Bencher
Hi guys,

Long time lurker of the forums, first time posting ;)

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on our left side defence... And in particular Cheyse Blair on the wing?? I think he has cost us plenty of tries already this season by totally misreading the play/coming out of the line...and has been lucky not to cost us more (storm game).

Don't get me wrong I like the guy, but think teams will continue to target that side as it seems to be easy points atm... Dunno what the solution would be as wolf an is much the same?? Is there anyone else worth blooding I.e Berryman or Turbo junior? Dunno what the go with tafua is gonna be but he can't catch a bomb so I dunno what the solution can be?

All 3 bulldogs tries came down our left side. I noticed that we have an up and in defence and the cut out ball catches them out quite a bit. I would rather see a more flexible defence and sliding would be good to put the attack in 2 minds as such.

Up and in and sliding are both very old-hat styles, Toovey is working on a cutting edge defence based on quantum physics where the players can occupy several spots in the defensive line simultaneously.

Most problems happen further infield and that winger usually cops the end of poor decisions made inside. That being said, they still can make bad reads, the biggest one is going to early and getting up to cut off on a player who was already covered. I think Blair needs to start closer to Stevie and be ready to chase out rather than jamming in. It probably lessens the opportunity to put a big hit on but its a much safer option and takes out some of the rolling of the dice decisions they make at times.

id prefer toovs give t trbojevic (maybe too early) or even the great wolfman a go, i think wolfman offers more to the team when in form, even though his defence can be average at best, but hes been in form recently in nsw cup may as well give him a go

As much as it pains me to say, Skivvi hasn't had the best start to the season defensively speaking. His missed tackle count must be up there as the highest in the side. Maybe he came back from injury a little early but he has been well below par

Up and in and sliding are both very old-hat styles, Toovey is working on a cutting edge defence based on quantum physics where the players can occupy several spots in the defensive line simultaneously.
How ubiquitous of him.

id prefer toovs give t trbojevic (maybe too early) or even the great wolfman a go, i think wolfman offers more to the team when in form, even though his defence can be average at best, but hes been in form recently in nsw cup may as well give him a go
I noticed wolfman doing the same as what Blair is doing now. It wasn't this situation at the start of his career. The problem is further inside. Too often there is too much space between defenders on the left. You can't keep asking wingers to chose to come in and cut off the quick pass or stay out. Eventually they will make the wrong decision. Defensive line balance needs to be better.

IF I see Blair running in early coming off the line against the dragons I will be HOWLING for the wolfman for the following week.

I like Tafua, yes he lost his confidence with the cross field kicks late last year BUT the year before lets not forget his power runs really helped us get up the other end off the paddock on a consistent basis.

As much as it pains me to say, Skivvi hasn't had the best start to the season defensively speaking. His missed tackle count must be up there as the highest in the side. Maybe he came back from injury a little early but he has been well below par

agreed, hes been productive with the ball in hand and from dummy half but unfortunately he hasnt been the same defensively, i think it must be a shoulder injury or having foz leave but something hasnt been right. im sure he'll come back to his best this weekend though or in the upcoming few games, too much of a quality player to have all this affect him long term

anyways, our right hand defense has still been solid dont think theres been many tries let in their if i recall right

I am also of the belief that the problems are happening further in field, but the fact that teams have had to throw the long ball, tells me that we are covering the middle well. I do think Hiku and Blair are guilty of rushing at times though. Occasionally Blair is finding himself further in field than Matai!

I am also of the belief that the problems are happening further in field, but the fact that teams have had to throw the long ball, tells me that we are covering the middle well. I do think Hiku and Blair are guilty of rushing at times though. Occasionally Blair is finding himself further in field than Matai!
Yeah I agree, although, Hiku seems to be working on it over the last two weeks and is starting to understand when to come in and when to stay out. He seems to be talking to his inside man a little better which is a good sign.

We commit too many to defend the ruck close to our line straight after a tackle and leave huge gaps out wide. Do we have lazy defenders in the middle or is that our defensive strategy?

Des has it down pat, a sliding even defensive line, too many times matai has been caught too close to the middle forcing Blair to come in, Matai is a workhorse but has been left for dead with the new faster younger players in the last 6-12months. Blair in any case has no idea , he runds out of line way too many times. 2v has not fixed that , when will he wake up???
its time to get the wolfie back. he has a point to proove.

Des has it down pat, a sliding even defensive line, too many times matai has been caught too close to the middle forcing Blair to come in, Matai is a workhorse but has been left for dead with the new faster younger players in the last 6-12months. Blair in any case has no idea , he runds out of line way too many times. 2v has not fixed that , when will he wake up???
its time to get the wolfie back. he has a point to proove.
Well Wolfie might get a run this week with all our injuries.

I just think hes that little bit slower - Chambers really schooled him; and it stood out.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4