Our top 13 is great but...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Our best side is great but our second stringers have always looked sub par to me for some time.I thought we would beat the titans tonight for the sole reason I thought they had given up the ghost mentally,not because we had a better side tonight.They had 4 origin players in the pack,2 highly rated centres and wingers that always give us trouble.On paper they were better than us but the surprise was their attitude.

Robinson,Harrison,Skinner,Mauro,Liam Foran and co would not get a start anywhere but thats what happens to teams who are successful under the salary cap.The senior players got us home last week ,the rest provided effort but no real class.Whare and Buhrer are the exceptions.

Dont let this loss fool you-we are still capable of beating any side with all players on deck,tonight doesnt change that.But the nasty flipside was also revealed.We have absolutely zero immediate depth and need immense luck with injuries for rest of year.And we are not the only ones-take 4 internationals out and it is game over at most clubs.

On a foot note- i have been saying for years- when are the fans who pay money going to get a fair deal and see the players in the programme play?.Cost a lot to take kids to see Brett Stewart and Foran play.Forget the ducks and drakes.Most on here knew they wouldnt play but your average fan who doesnt deserves beeter,

Our poor defense was evident in the first trial game against the Sharks as well as the WCC. It has carried over to the season and shows no signs of improving. The only reason we held Penrith to 0 was through their poor attack not our great defense. We have serious defensive problems with our linespeed, toughness and ability to move up and smother the opposition.

and it understandable that's the case.

If the top 13 are on 80% of the cap and then the other 12 are on 20%. Next year the % will be even more polarised.

your kidding you cant be serious the starting thirteen struggled from the beginning tonight but as usual the haters come out but please place blame where it was deserved tonight

What about Whare and Taufua? I think they've been impressive in their games and they weren't in our best 17 at the start of the season.

I'm not big a wrap on Harrison. Plenty of people last year got excited we got him and had him pencilled infront of Buhrer in the pecking order but surely its clear to everyone now whose infront. I'm a bit suprised Robinson hasn't been given more of a crack, I didn't think he was ever brilliant, but he never seemed to fail to make metres and I can't recall him having too many defensivse lapses. I originally thought Skinner was a back up prop, but he's a bit on the small side for that and not sure about him long term in the backrow. I've made some comments about Mauro and I still stand by them, can't doubt his effort but he just isn't damaging enough playing as either a prop or backrower.

I did make Whare an exception ME.

I am just stating the obvious really.We are a club pretty low on finances,ground facilities etc who have punched hugely above their weight for years now and not having backup depth is merely a symptom of the modern salary cap system.I am not bagging the club at all here.

Our guys have been up for a long time and to me as i have said a few times.,the major worry this year is that many are chasing a third title.I know they are pros but it must be difficult mentally especially when injury arises.

History says we seem to find a way to regenerate in the face of weakening rosters unlike the perennial sydney losers like souths,penrith,sharks etc.With basically every key forward hitting 30 except Buhrer and Rex it is time to start our planning in earnest.Keeping Rex should be our number one priority re the future after DCE signing(never though Id say that but very happy to.)

The other point from losses like the Parra and Titans id that it must play on the minds of Rex,Foran in regard to who they will be playing with down the track.Sorting this contract stuff quickly is imperative as I think we will cop a few hidings against the better sides if we play them weakened like last night.

i wouldn't even say our top 13 are great!
kite & king - both powder puff forwards who should move on.
why isn't rose getting a run?

then you have your no name harrisons, robinsons skinners...
they all useless. why don't we buy some props, or give the good ones we have (like rose) a run?

can anyone name a softer starting prop pair than ours boys?
f*ckin useless....

Whilst we all know that it takes a few years for young players to find their feet it's really not a luxury we can afford for to long, especially in the forwards.

If Harrison, Skinner, Mauro and Robinson don't improve some time soon then we need to review just what they offer, 80-100k maybe chicken feed to your average NRL player but I'm pretty sure somewhere throughout Australia, NZ, Fiji or Tonga, there has to be blokes looking for a chance who would play with more enthusiasm.

Clay said:
Last week everyone was praising the fringe players, this week we lose and everyone death rides them.
Neck up parrots
Agree Clay. It always hurts to lose but many Manly supporters turn into whingers and player baggers when we don't get results.
Being a true supporter means taking the good with the bad and either celebrating or sucking it up, without turning on the players or the coach.

I wasnt iether bagging them or praising them last week.That is a mugs game.Footy always has its ups and downs.I am basing my opinion on what i have seen of them in their appearances last year and this year and the fact that our nsw cup forward pack were hopeless last year and we were pretty injury free in the top grade.

The comp is littered with young forwards who make immediate impact in the modern day.Have a look at Simms,Gillette,plenty of the broncos forwards,bukuya,that cowboy juganaut-they reak potential.Mightn't always come good but they have a great chance.This idea that seeming plodders are going to gradually improve into future stars after 50 games is,with the odd exception, generaly rubbish.

it just doesnt make sense in our case.We are taking 4 or 5 blokes who were the basis of a wooden spoon forward pack in a substandard comp(way behind Qld cup) and they are going to be the basis of our top grade side in future years.Please!

So neck yourself sunshine.

I understand what you're saying Susan.
We do seem to lack depth and it needs to be addressed on a management/recruiting level for the future but this year we can only work with what we've got.
Defense was a problem last night as the titans made way too much ground. This needs some serious looking into.
I don't believe the Manly players didn't try last night it was just that nothing they tried worked.
I'm sure they all felt pretty bad in the sheds and there's plenty of hard work to be done to fix where we're at.
I just don't like a lot of negativity after a loss.
The only way for a team to move forward is for players and fans to have positive attitudes.

susan said:
I wasnt iether bagging them or praising them last week.That is a mugs game.Footy always has its ups and downs.I am basing my opinion on what i have seen of them in their appearances last year and this year and the fact that our nsw cup forward pack were hopeless last year and we were pretty injury free in the top grade.

The comp is littered with young forwards who make immediate impact in the modern day.Have a look at Simms,Gillette,plenty of the broncos forwards,bukuya,that cowboy juganaut-they reak potential.Mightn't always come good but they have a great chance.This idea that seeming plodders are going to gradually improve into future stars after 50 games is,with the odd exception, generaly rubbish.

it just doesnt make sense in our case.We are taking 4 or 5 blokes who were the basis of a wooden spoon forward pack in a substandard comp(way behind Qld cup) and they are going to be the basis of our top grade side in future years.Please!

So neck yourself sunshine.
No one can deny your passion for the Sea Eagles Susan . As loyal supporters we will take the good and the bad but that performance by some of our players against the winless Titans at home was unecceptable .

The long break could'nt be coming at a better time for us, we should get back most of the injured players and some of the others will hopefully come back rejuvenated. There should'nt be any problem with motivation when we play the Dogs.

Nicco,my comments are about the future,not this year.Im not really worried this year-we will get players back,win plenty of games and play finals footy.I am addressing what the next few years hold if we mess it up.I am far from negative this year and what this bunch of players have achieved in the last 5 years is unbelieveable to be honest.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2