Pathetic crowd

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
They play at a fantastic new stadium; They are unbeaten; they have three perceived demi-Gods in their side; they are playing on a fine Friday evening against good quality opposition . . .
and yet only 11,369 people turn up to the match.
They are The Storm.
No other club with such good facilities sitting atop the premiership table would draw such a lowly crowd.
If this doesn't show that Melbournians are ambivalent about rugby league then the NRL isn't looking. Relocate this mob who, let's face it, are all Queenslanders anyway, to Brisbane or Ipswich where the locals love rugby league and give those Boncos some long overdue competition.

The crowd numbers are in decline down there. However they are greater than Spuffs, Rorters and the Flake on any given day.

Have to disagree. No Melbourne Storm no Victorian Rugby League.

Shoe on the other foot - what's our excuse for our low crowd figures
(watch me get flamed here to Rudi, Rambofan levels)

eagles2win said:

When we are sitting near the top of the ladder on a DRY Friday night we get over 15k at brooky.

eagles2win said:

Substandard ground for one, but we'd get close to 20,000 on a balmy Friday night against a strong club.

KOMORI said:
What's capacity at Brookie, just out of curiosity??

I recall being at a match, I think against Parra, when we had 27,000 or so, but now it is closer to 20,000.

As much as I dislike the Storm, I think they should always have a team in VIC, just to annoy those wankers down south playing the other girly sport.

Take away the storm and there is a reduction in the tv $

For that reason alone they are required

Nobody despises the storm more than I.

As such, I need to apply that dual personality, schizophrenic persona that some talk about on here and accept that they are the only team we have in Victardiaville & they are strategically important. Unfortunately they must stay.

Brookie now fits about 20 k when absolutely packed. Back in 86 I was there with 27 k but that was only standing on the hill and there were extra spaces on the hills instead of stands. Brookie has only ever had about 20 games with more than 20 k in all of the history of the club.

Canteen Worker said:
Brookie now fits about 20 k when absolutely packed. Back in 86 I was there with 27 k but that was only standing on the hill and there were extra spaces on the hills instead of stands. Brookie has only ever had about 20 games with more than 20 k in all of the history of the club.

Were you working in the Canteen that day?

The game went live into Melb on tv, for the first time in non-finals, wondering if this affectected the crowd numbers.

Don't forget that hawthorn played collingwood on friday night which is only a few minutes away from aami park. they seemed to have a near capacity crowd at the mcg.

Storm were never going to sellout their match for this reason alone. Plus the live game feed (which is great for melbourne) and the people who didnt get to the afl game would've watched that game on tv.

It's very important for melbourne to get free to air games and live feeds to get their faces on tv down there. It was just unfortunate it was scheduled to go up against an afl blockbuster.

Storm are needed in the NRL like it or not. I have a great amount of respect for them for what they have achieved in bringing through superstars of today which were unknown years ago. They rorted the cap and deserved to have the premierships taken away from them. You can't keep everyone once they have all reached a certain level. We are in danger of losing some of our stars which we developed due to the salary cap and melbourne should've cut some of theirs at the time. In saying this, i can't help but be full of admiration for a club who still plays at the level they do even after their cleanout.

The Who said:
eagles2win said:

Substandard ground for one, but we'd get close to 20,000 on a balmy Friday night against a strong club.

Wrong. We had 13,000 at the Cowboys game at the SFS, Melbourne in ther brand new ground get 11,000. I am sick of hearing about it being because of sub-standard facilities. That is a lame excuse by people who quite frankly can't be arsed turning up in the first place, no matter where the game is played.

Brookie4eva said:
The game went live into Melb on tv, for the first time in non-finals, wondering if this affectected the crowd numbers.

It might have. However, for the moment it might look bad but if they can get a high viewership down there, then the base for Rugby League will hopefully grow, creating a higher crowd figure. It's just going to take a period of low crowd figures to achieve.

captainskin said:
I thought it was a good crowd last night at Parra Stadium: 15,000 odd.

For a team that hadn't won a game in 4 weeks that was a good crowd. I think Hindmarsh's announcement did a lot to bolster the numbers...and the fact there were a lot of Manly fans in the Northern Stand.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8