Penrith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
Are they fair dinkum or not?
The bookies think not @ $15, but they are leading the comp after 17 rounds. Surely that means something.
Like most, I think the Panthers will slide over the remaining rounds to the bottom half of the 8. But they could easily win 4 or 5 of their remaining games & possibly sneak into the 4.
They have a solid forward pack without being outstanding. They are a no frills pack, but get the job done. Not too unlike our pack of the last few weeks. They have Kitey upfront leading the way, and he has been there done that, a couple of times now.
Soward is back to playing reasonable footy and they have plenty of speed in the backline. How good is Mansour going!!
A lot could depend on how long Wallace is out for. Plenty of pressure will come onto Soward if Wallace is out for an extended period.
Tyrone Peachey is the x-factor that every team needs. Hard to read and stop.
At $15 the Panthers are a bit of value as a smokey.

As I pointed out a few weeks back on here, and which was picked up by Slothfield in the Tele a few days ago, the 'Riff have had an easy draw. They play all the lower teams twice, and good teams like us, Easts and Dogs only once.
They will be found wanting against quality sides, and will be eliminated quickly in the finals.

their run home goes something like this.

Broncos
Roosters
Sharks
Bulldogs
Dragons
Rabbits
Melbourne
Manly

With the Dragons playing the way they are they could lose most of those games.

As others have pointed out they have had a soft draw until now. I still think they are a solid top 8 side but not top 4 imo. $15 is still good value for them as the comp is very even this year, none of the top teams are consistent. Roosters are struggling as are Souths and the Scum. We are going well but we still under perform against teams we should beat easily. Good thing is we usually play great in the big games. I think one of the "smokeys" could very well win the whole thing this year.

I think the Dogs are the biggest threat our chances this year, and I thought that long before we were beaten on Friday night. We didn't turn up the other night, and I am sure that's why we lost, but it'll have no bearing on the result if we meet them in the finals. Both teams at full strength running into the pointy end of the season is going to be a toss of the coin.

That would push the competition out to about 10 months. Players then get 8 weeks to recuperate then straight back into it. I like it. ;)

Either that or a 2 conference system. Where there are 10 teams in either conference. The top 10 play each other twice. and the bottom 10 play each other twice. The lowest 2 top 10 teams get relegated and the top 2 bottom 10 teams get promoted. That way you have 2 lots of 4 team finals. There would be a month in between rounds for origin and other rep games.

Clint said:
I'm hearing you Stevo. Top 5 is the best finals system ever I reckon.

i like top 4. I think a second chance or a week off in the finals is amateur. 1v4 and 2v3. Winners play in the GF. Or at least 1v2 and 3v4. Winner from game 1 into GF and loser from game 2 eliminated.

No you can't make it 30 rounds fellas!

There's too much footy already (more serious injuries across the board this year than ever).

A better seeded system is needed to get better parity somehow. (This year's draw, including the day v night ratio of games as well is a joke).

I too think the 'Riff's draw is soft to date; but they still have improved a lot this year. (And I think they'll be found out in the finals too).

EDIT:
Yes @Stevo

Something more like conferences; with a seeded ranking system (probly based on the prior seasons' final placings) much better idea than MORE footy.

Play 2 back to back comps of 26 weeks each. Footy 52 weeks of the year. This would double the TV income which would double the salary cap and each club could have say a roster of 40 players. Players would rotate in and out of the team like baseball. And I would never have to watch unreality TV again (or bogan/redneck TV)

Stevo said:

Broncos
Roosters
Sharks
Bulldogs
Dragons
Rabbits
Melbourne
Manly

It's quite possible they may not win another game but I'll tip them for 2-3 wins.

Not sure it'll be enough for finals though particularly with Peter Wallace out!

Cut the competition to 14 teams and play each other twice.

Get rid of the Scumdogs and the Drizzle because they are the teams I hate most.

Shimples.

Blowfly said:
Stevo said:

Broncos
Roosters
Sharks
Bulldogs
Dragons
Rabbits
Melbourne
Manly

It's quite possible they may not win another game but I'll tip them for 2-3 wins.

Not sure it'll be enough for finals though particularly with Peter Wallace out!

Wallace is a massive loss.

I still think their confidence now will see them jag half those games and at least make the 8. (Not to go much further).

Next year though, they should be even better.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6