Perenara isn't up to it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
how can Perenara indicate no try when his view was completely obscured by souths players when Matai scored? that was a dreadful call when the momentum of Matai's effort was enough to favour the attacking player. I'm with 2V - these refs are a joke, especially Perenara who always looks unconfident and scared. he should be stood down today.

And there I was about 10-15 mins in thinking that these guys were going ok by not blowing the whistle every 10 seconds.

Next minute..... kapow!

I thought last week he was an ok ref. Not so much this week.

The refereeing in the NRL in general stinks to high heaven.
Has there ever been a more useless shower adjudicating in the history of Rugby League?
Incompetent? Corrupt? ...who knows?
What's obvious is that in a professional sport these guys perform like rank amateurs.
How can these guys keep their jobs when they are clearly out of their depth?

Chechin is the guy I can't get over. A touch judge for 5 years and not good enough to get on the field. Is given half a dozen games eventually and then is sent back to the sidelines for another year.

If he's the best they've got we are all in trouble.

the only game he should have been in control of last night was the littlies who were the half time entertainment. even then he would have been in over his head.

The refs are almost always looking more confused than Sam Burgess when he couldn't find Will Chambers' clitoris.

Dan said:
The 2 ref system means we have a whole bunch of inept refs around insteaf of a few topline ones

Yep, the standard has gone to you know what ever since the two ref policy was introduced. It's been an absolute disaster but no one's smart enough to go back to the way it was.
As for Perenara, he wasn't much of a player either…

What about Foran's great leg-tackle in the first half.

He then got penalised apparently no one are supposed to tackle Souths if they make a break.

Hey NRL there may be a perception that the matches are fixed. You need to look into that to prove it is not so.

The whole system stinks. 2 refs makes it way to easy to rig games to get the results the nrl think will be best for crowd and money drawing. The refs boss says bad calls come down to different interpretations by the refs on the field. If a coach explodes and says what 99% of the fans are saying...they cop a 10k fine.
The video refs are no better than the on field refs, and the touchies are a joke. It's like they have a meeting during the week to decide which teams will win, and how to keep it looking like a contest to fool the average mug fan.

Daddycool08 said:
What about Foran's great leg-tackle in the first half.

He then got penalised apparently no one are supposed to tackle Souths if they make a break.

Hey NRL there may be a perception that the matches are fixed. You need to look into that to prove it is not so.

Another Foz one he tackled a player the ref said hand off the ball, he immediately let go then the ref penalises him, it was utter rubbish, whereas several times Isaac Luke grabbed the ball in a clear second movement when the player was standing up and not even a warning, He did it to Matai after Matai ran a short side play and made a break

Ferris had the ball raked out while trying to play it when they were on the ropes and the refs call?.....knock on, of course.

They put ex players in the video box to give us supposedly sane rugby league decision making.

Hasn't worked. The ex players have been brain washed into thinking like the referees.

Just stated listening to 2GB - not a real Manly friendly station both Bozo and to my surprise Blocker bagged the refs.

Blocker agreed with 2V.

Bozo said the refs are only refereeing one team at a time.

I think all everyone wants is a fair impartial officialdom.

Dan said:
The 2 ref system means we have a whole bunch of inept refs around insteaf of a few topline ones

I agree completely. The two referee system has failed utterly to improve the standard of refereeing. I watch a fair bit of the ESL and even their referees are better on a week to week basis.

I could never understand the need for two refs. They don't need it in union or soccer. If the side line guys defined the ten metre and forward passes, then all would be sweet. A flag up would indicate off side or a forward pass. No need to have the second ref. and I hate the try/no try call before sending it upstairs. Why?

The reason for need for 2 refs is simple. The Storm. The wrestling would be ridiculous now if the game didn't bring in the second ref. IMO it has definitely helped clean up that aspect of the game. Unfortunately like most things involved in NRL every decision like this has more consequences than the ones intended.

http://www.playrugbyleague.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/International-Laws-of-the-Game.pdf

Scoring - Section 6, page 12. Its there in black and white.

Referee unsighted - The referee should not disallow a try because he was not in a position to see the grounding of the ball

Perenara was not in a position to see the grounding of the ball because there were Souths defenders and Matai's body between him and the ball. His no-try ruling, under the laws of the game available on the NRL website, was 100% incorrect. He should have ruled a try and sent it upstairs.

A referee blunder in giving the opposite ruling to what he should have, cost Manly at least 4, possibly 6 points. It was the turning point in the game and its what people have been saying for years will happen, a team could have its season ruined or almost ruined by a referee getting it completely wrong. This could cost Manly 3rd on the ladder at the end of the minor round, and might have cost them a chance at 2nd. That's the price of a ref stuffing things up.

Holdenv8 that's pretty clear, thanks. What will the nrl do? A 1st grade ref doesn't know the rules.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6