• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One of my favourite players at Manly, and he still lives and coaches in the Manly area. I know he coaches the Marlins Union team, but I always rated him as a player, and many rate him as a coach. We always breed successful coaches from within our own ranks, so I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on PB?
I know Toovs has served a long apprenticeship under Des and also is a Manly legend, but thought I'd throw another name in there.

Did'nt Phil have some health issues recently. He was a clever player but I think being Manly coach is a fairly stressful job. I favour Toovey.

I think (but could be wrong) that he is part of the wallabies coaching squad and is more aligned to union. Would be a handy pick up though - but with tooves the likely candidate and if I had my way cliffy with him we really need a good forwards coach, oh and apparently physio, conditioning coach, talent scout, etc etc

Sorry but no. We need stability and I think Toovs is the way to go. I think losing the support staff is biggest concern. The players know Toovey and respect him. We have the foundation,just need keep it going.

Toovs is the best choice, but if Phil wanted to join the support staff I think it would be great. He's already shown he can adapt by being a successful union coach so he is no dummy.

He too was one of my favourite players and the Benji sidestep phenomenon that kids try and do these days isn't a patch on the Phil Blake chip and chase that was played out in every single school playground in the 80s. I ran into Phil one day and had about a 10 minute chat to him, I eventually asked him if he had any regrets and in a split second he said, leaving Manly. I bet you when Des looks back over his career he will say the same thing.

Masked Eagle said:
Toovs is the best choice, but if Phil wanted to join the support staff I think it would be great. He's already shown he can adapt by being a successful union coach so he is no dummy.

He too was one of my favourite players and the Benji sidestep phenomenon that kids try and do these days isn't a patch on the Phil Blake chip and chase that was played out in every single school playground in the 80s. I ran into Phil one day and had about a 10 minute chat to him, I eventually asked him if he had any regrets and in a split second he said, leaving Manly. I bet you when Des looks back over his career he will say the same thing.
Don't know if you can coach what players like Phil and Cliffy had. I think that sort of talent is something your born with.

In the mid eighties Manly brought in Hasler as half back to replace "the talented but undependable Phil Blake as starting halfback" (source Wiki), so it would be a backwards move replacing Des with Phil yes? :)

He played for other clubs, so no he can't get the job. If he did and won premiership(s) for manly and left he would then be called every name under the sun.

Blakey would be a welcome addition to the staff, but with tooves as coach. As a kid I was gutted when Phil left, and took a while to warm to Dessie because he was his replacement. I was ok with tooves as dessies replacement in the early 90s, and I still cannot understand why field replaced tooves!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6