Phil Gould - an opinion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
Last friday, when Manly played the bunnies, he introduced us as "The Great Manly..." and then "The South Sydney..."

It's not the first time he has poured accolades filled with admiration for our club and how we keep surviving turmoils and tough times, then somehow end up in the top or thereabouts.

When he was at the Roosters as coaching director, it was the only time Sticky won a premiership as a coach. When they parted company, Sticky is no longer the winning coach.

Now Gould is at the Panthers and got himself a couple of Manly players and a "Manly" coach, Penrith has been winning. I believe he's an astute judge of players and football operations. His record speaks for themselves.

seaeagles4life said:
Not sure what the point of this thread was?

me either.

He gave it to us deluxe toward the back of game, by getting on the Souths Sydney jizz fest.

Gould might be a pain in the arse as a commentator (although I like him when he sticks to footy analysis rather than trying to be a comedian), and as a QLD'er I am wired to hate him.

But I reckon he's one of the smartest blokes in footy and should use his knowledge more.

He's done a great job at Penrith and the NRL should tap his brain more than they do.

I love his analysis of the game, but he picks favourites and just exercises his bias sometimes. He is intelligent in many ways, but he lacks emotional intelligence and gets carried away a lot, like spending the entire final 15 minutes of last Fridays night game rambling about how good the Rabbitohs are. A man with emotional intelligence would have said "well played Rabbits" and "off night for Manly"...instead it was a foregone conclusion that the Bunnies will be premiers this year because he let his excitement get the better of his judgement.

He has always been open about his admiration for Manly and what the club has built. Look at the Manly filled origin teams he coached.

With that said, he should be banned from commentary

He's rugby league's ironstine.

I do think he knows his stuff but the show pony rubbish all 9 commentators go on with makes him hard to stomach.
Watched an old tigpies vs rorters game on fox today and have to say 9 was so much more watchable back then. Ray and Phil just called the game without the banter and other rubbish.

I think all the 9 commentators are obliged to do the "adds" for the block and the voice etc (except Sterlo, he seems to get out of it).

And I really hope the "banter" between Gould and Rabs is a stunt dreamed up by marketing at channel nine- otherwise it is embarrassing for two blokes that should know better.

Gus is no ones fool and definitely know his stuff, especially when it comes to league. Yes he did get caught up in Souffs win last Friday night, but most in the media did as well. It was like they'd been waiting for Manly to stumble at some point and because it was the Vermin who haven't won anything since Moses supposedly parted the Red Sea, emotions got the better of them. But the way they have been carrying on you'd have thought that Grand Finals are now being played in August at the SCG and that Souffs have already won.

IMO Gus was actually easier to listen to when we played the Donkeys simply because he and Hadley didn't carry on like a couple of blithering fools like he and Rabs do. Against the Donkeys Gus actually called the game for the most part and it was good to listen to. Though I'll admit to having a laugh when he mentioned about Warren trying to get out of going to Cairns that weekend.

As for Nein's cross-promoting......Rabs once asked, when are these shows going to plug the stations NRL broadcasts? You don't hear Scott Cam or Delta Goodrem promoting the NRL on their shows or see little pop-ups on the screen saying what time NRL games on Nein are on. In fact, this current series of The Block has an AFL player and his wife so there is more promoting of the AFL then the NRL (trust me, the fact that an AFL player is on the show has been a big news story in AFL dominated states.....Nein and the AFL are promoting the crap out of it).

HoldenV8 said:
Gus is no ones fool and definitely know his stuff, especially when it comes to league. Yes he did get caught up in Souffs win last Friday night, but most in the media did as well. It was like they'd been waiting for Manly to stumble at some point and because it was the Vermin who haven't won anything since Moses supposedly parted the Red Sea, emotions got the better of them. But the way they have been carrying on you'd have thought that Grand Finals are now being played in August at the SCG and that Souffs have already won.

IMO Gus was actually easier to listen to when we played the Donkeys simply because he and Hadley didn't carry on like a couple of blithering fools like he and Rabs do. Against the Donkeys Gus actually called the game for the most part and it was good to listen to. Though I'll admit to having a laugh when he mentioned about Warren trying to get out of going to Cairns that weekend.

As for Nein's cross-promoting......Rabs once asked, when are these shows going to plug the stations NRL broadcasts? You don't hear Scott Cam or Delta Goodrem promoting the NRL on their shows or see little pop-ups on the screen saying what time NRL games on Nein are on. In fact, this current series of The Block has an AFL player and his wife so there is more promoting of the AFL then the NRL (trust me, the fact that an AFL player is on the show has been a big news story in AFL dominated states.....Nein and the AFL are promoting the crap out of it).

I'm disappointed that you watch the block V8 ;)

Err I've been known to watch the Block and the Voice (in my weaker moments) too @nodd !

As for Uncle Gus, the excessive banter with Rabbits has long-since faded from amusing to irritating.

The circle-jerk they do for a team that wins (especially Souths getting on top of Manly) is basic marketing common-sense.

They jump on the bandwagon to further juice the Souths fans watching (and those wanting Manly to lose) to curry favour and get said viewers to tune back in.

I will give Gus his due though as a football mind and administrator now.

He has turned the Riff around dramatically in 18 months without doubt.

That's not an easy assignment; and any fair-minded person should at least recognize, for all his faults, he's had success at every club he's been involved with (playing, coaching or administrating).

EDIT: And for those fed-up with the Nein commentary remember what @Dan suggested...

Mute the commentary and enjoy an untainted viewing.

Maybe compliment that with the Game-Chat or Blog here to boot!

nodd said:
I'm disappointed that you watch the block V8 ;)

@nodd please go and wash your fingers for typing something so dirty. I wouldn't watch that crap if they paid me to :p

Ralphie said:
Phil Gould must be good because Rothfield hates him.

Apparently Slothfield doesn't like me either. Though I'm bad, I called him a #Tool on Twitter so he blocked me LOL :D

I seriously wish Phil Gould would stop saying wow.
Makes me want to uproot a large tree and ram it down his neck.

niccipops said:

His other staple response is, of course, "No no no no Noooo!"

It is the endless waffle with him and Ray Warren that is the most tedious.

I suspect they're far from good mates away from the microphones too.

niccipops said:

Wow. Now that's a bit extreme, isn't it?

Anybody that bags Gus' footballing brain is a jerk. The guy has left behind him far more success, being only compariable to Fulton. He is a winner and he knows what it takes between the ears to do it.

The amount of media against him during his first year at Penrith was extraordinary. But he made the tough footballing decisions against the 'experts' advice, and they are now looking to have something in place that is sustainable, unlike previous peaks.

Yes, he can rub the wrong way in some of his calls, but there are just three analytical brains worth listening these days; Gould, Sterlo and Johns. The rest are either incoherant babblers, Qld'er fanboys or both.

The fact Gus has the likes of Buzz and his stablemates offside, is a sure sign the guy knows football and does what he does for the betterment of the game, above all else.

last Friday nights game was final straw - just can't stomach it anymore. from now on I'll be listening to radio commentary instead of nein - which station do people prefer for league commentary MMM or ABC grandstand? (im in Melb)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2