Phil Gould Marketing Genius

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Despite not getting his way (thus far) with his fridge - the pink panthers are a great marketing ploy.

I watched the game on replay with my three year old daughter in the room yesterday and she immediately wanted to know who the pink team were and announced that she was going for them (usually it's the referee because they're the ones in her favourite colour).

How many other impressionable young minds will be hurt like hers when parents have to sit these young innocents down and have that talk...about what a 'bogan' is.

And how many channel nine games are the panthers getting this year?

And did Rabs call Dave Taylor Jason Taylor after a hyped up 'forget Slater, forget Barba ...' I rewound it three times and still thought he called him Jason.

Matilda would have been sent to her room if she had said something like that, well after the initial amazement that she had spoken such a complete sentence at 10 months old. Then she would have been corrected and sent to her room

Sorry for the confusion- it was just for that game she was going for the panthers - she is a sea eagle through and through, yells out go manly to anyone wearing maroon and white in shopping centres etc.

Although she is a queenslander - like her mother and her younger sister - I got them out a couple of years ago though... its still tough.

People already identify us with the pink striped jersey. When Canberra had a similar one during the women in league round last year, the commentators even said "they look like Manly"

Gould is just using other peoples ideas, I'd like to see him come up with his own

I reckon Gould is doing a fantastic job for Oak. However with all the hype around the $1 hotdogs, $1 Oak milk and family fun day etc. I reckon a crowd of just over 14k is disappointing...Especially a place like Penrith where there's nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon.

The club is doing a solid job in that department and it's still only early days. Having lived out this way (Penrith) all my life it is looking like they are trying to turn back the clock crowd wise, and 14-15k does show that they are on their way. Look at the crowds they've had in the past 5 years for arvo games and i doubt too many have come close to that beyond a handful of local derbies. Nights are a lot trickier obviously, that'll be much more of a challenge for them.

When i was going there as a kid with the family or friends most of the games were arvo ones, and as such it was always pretty packed. back then the reserve grade and under21's was a decent enough attraction to make a day of it too. Toyota Cup doesn't really have that quality and probably turns off the Mums n Dad's taking their kids along to make a full arvo of it as was the case when i was a kid, which the way gould & co are going, is something they want to get the locals to return to doing with these promotions.

For a game on free to air tv, out this way where it's pretty well documented folks aren't the most well off $$ wise (or the 17 yold kids who should be going to the game having fun with their mates are stuck at home feeding their newborn lol), it's a pretty good crowd figure for early in the season. should be a lot more yes. but seems they are on track and doing much better than the roosters, could you even call that a crowd?

Yeah it all seems pretty positive coming out of the club and area - even from news ltd who previously hammered Gould at every opportunity - and the players the panthers have don't lend themselves to instant success.

I think the club will be a force the way the broncos are in the next ten to fifteen years with their junior base and concentrating on creating a 'Panthers Brand' that fans and plain old members of the community will identify with.

Just wish they could settle on a jumper! I remember when they went to the multicolour plack green red yellow and white (two colours are enough I feel but hey it was the nineties and we had the red and white piping for a while) that was seen as a great marketing strategy, but how many colours have they had since?

Top End Eagle said:
Yeah it all seems pretty positive coming out of the club and area - even from news ltd who previously hammered Gould at every opportunity - and the players the panthers have don't lend themselves to instant success.

I think the club will be a force the way the broncos are in the next ten to fifteen years with their junior base and concentrating on creating a 'Panthers Brand' that fans and plain old members of the community will identify with.

Just wish they could settle on a jumper! I remember when they went to the multicolour plack green red yellow and white (two colours are enough I feel but hey it was the nineties and we had the red and white piping for a while) that was seen as a great marketing strategy, but how many colours have they had since?

When they went from the chocolate soldiers to the energizer bunnies? That was around 1990 I think.

The All Sorts jersey looked like someone threw up. Apt I guess, as the pick and spoon brigade are going to toss the hot dog and Oak anyway :)

Stevo said:
What Jersey had the red and white piping on it? Not the effing Northern Eagles?

Sorry meant to type red and blue - the pepsi jumper - I stood up for it at the time but looking back i always thought it was wrong to change our colours for a sponsor.

Who remembers the blue broncos (I think they played us?) one off in the early nineties and the blue m&m jumpers the eels wore a few years ago?

Why is penrith like ikea?
They both sell $1 hotdogs and their product is crap.

Thehill said:
I reckon Gould is doing a fantastic job for Oak. However with all the hype around the $1 hotdogs, $1 Oak milk and family fun day etc. I reckon a crowd of just over 14k is disappointing...Especially a place like Penrith where there's nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon.

not alot of disposable income in a lot of the families out there. A day at the footy isnt cheap for the battlers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8