Pitches these days

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Anybody else getting sick of some of the roads being produced ?

Is the last few weeks, we have seen India racking up 650-750 with ease in test matches, they have just posted 414/7 in an ODI match, we see the Adelaide Oval being so docile (although at least it does offer a little bit on day 5) and have just watched a test played on a flat track in Napier (Rain robbing NZ of a series win)

I like cricket that gives both parts of the game an even chance, if a batsman applies himself, he scores some runs, if a bowler bends his back, he gets some rewards, but there seem to be very few of those around these days

I like a test match where a 250-300 score in the 1st innings from each side really opens the game up

On another note, in a 1st class match over here today, Wellington set Central 445 to win, which they did 1 down with a 428 opening stand

The Lankans nearly ran the 414 down as well. Must have been like batting on the M5.

Even the pitches over here have all gravitated to the middle ground. WACA has lost it's bounce and zip, Gabba is rarely a seamers deck anymore, SCG doesn't turn on the 5th day like it used to and we haven't seen any variable bounce at the MCG for years. It is boring.

Could not agree more.

I've enjoyed the NZ/Pakistan series because we've seen collapses, and teams having to apply themselves (I know Napier wasn't the best, and that Vettori got a 100 etc, but still, that wicket offered more than anything I saw at Adelaide).

I don't know why any young cricketers would want to be a bowler these days. You're on a hiding to nothing.

willstyles link said:
Could not agree more.

I've enjoyed the NZ/Pakistan series because we've seen collapses, and teams having to apply themselves (I know Napier wasn't the best, and that Vettori got a 100 etc, but still, that wicket offered more than anything I saw at Adelaide).

I don't know why any young cricketers would want to be a bowler these days. You're on a hiding to nothing.

1 of the best series I have watched for a while mate, and part of it does come down to a lack of skill, but even if it wasn't the best cricket it was entertaining, especially the 1st 2 tests in Dunedin and Wellington. Wellington near perfect test deck for me, scores of around 250-300 other than the NZ 1st innings collapse, quality batsman like Yousuf and Taylor could get runs while if the likes of Asif and O'Brien hit the spots they got their rewards too

Has been a lot of talk about the Napier deck pre and post test, the groundsman labeled both batting sides "useless" prior to the test match, and when asked about the pitch post match, Vettori said with a grin it was a "useless" test match track

Good to see a bit of life in the Sydney deck, unintentional as it was.

Aussies can't complain, won the toss and had the option of first use of the wicket, but due to Ponting's Ashes induced phobia of bowling first he was never going to take a risk. Pakis have bowled well and have made the most of the conditions, but there has been some horrible shots amongst those dismissals. Ponting fell for the bait again, Hussey and Haddins shot choice was a tad ambitious, North got suckered into one that decked away and he was hypnotised into chasing it. Clarke and Watson got good pills. The most worrying was Hughes, I'm not convinced he has the application to be a Test opener, he got dropped from a slash and then did it again just to make sure he threw his wicket away properly. These guys just aren't used to playing on decks that offer the new ball something. They are playing shots like they play on the normal roads produced for Tests and have been found wanting.   

Hughes should be batting later in the order learning his trade but cant get a look in with watson also should be playing there and Hussey tacking up the extra position not allowing Clarke to move up one.

Spot on, I loved seeing a bit of juice in the deck, and it shows that some of the current batsman have no idea what to do if the pitch does something.

Lets have a look at the top 7 without the armchair ride they received from the commentators

Hughes, Slashed at a wide 1 and was dropped, should have been a sign to pull the head in, we then see him thrash at a wide 1 which he missed before finally getting out driving with his cement boots

Watson, played right on the deck and nicked a good one, that happens

Ponting, pitch is green, early wicket down, should you be hooking ball 1 ?

Hussey, team in trouble, tries to invent a pull shot to a good length ball

Clarke, good ball, but would have had a far better chance defending with bat beside pad rather than pushing a mile ahead of his body trying to walk into a drive

North, 5/50, and you throw your hands at a ball never threatening the stumps, terrible shot the ball after a dismissal

Haddin, Rubbish, didn't show any sign he wanted to knuckle down and try to build an innings. instead trying his luck trying to smash everything

Am watching the Pakis now at 0/7, and know that as soon as I post this they will probably get out, but the openers are showing some application and playing proper test match cricket and looking good

Can we also organise someone to take out Mark Nicholas, what a bloody annoying the gay wee chap is. Sick of hearing "Watto you beauty" "Mitch you strong lad" and the endless dribble about "Dougie"

I've noticed that about Clarke this summer Kiwi, he is playing way out in front of his pads and reaching for those balls in the corridor. Has brought him undone a few times too.

God knows whose idea it was to bring in a Pommie and groom him up to take over from the great Richie Be-Nude ? Surely there is an Aussie who can head up the Aussie broadcast. It's bad enough we have to put up with the increasingly senile Tony Grieg, without having to listen to Nicholas. Does he seriously bat for the other side ??

Nicholas had some hosting ability, but now the cheerleader routine is too much and over the top, he must be gay with some of the phrases he comes out with at times, Couldn't believe the stuff he was coming out with when bollinger hit that 4 down the ground haha

I am still a Bill Lawry fan, but he is over doing the "Bang" call in a very big way this summer !! Also cracks me up every time I hear Grieg say "middle of the bat" and I think back to the 12th man

Nicholls needs to learn how to tie a tie as well

should be more test wickets like the sydney one
something in it for everyone one
the quicks on day 1 and 2
the batsmen from day 2 on and the spinners on day 3 and 4

a great wicket and a great test as a result

Totally agree with you on this kiwi.

The wickets these days are too boring and need to be spriked up a bit for the bowlers. The sydney deck was good fun to watch. The batsmen needed to really put their head down and apply themselves to get the runs.... Good stuff.

Bring on hobart and a ton in both innings for the captain!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6