Play the ball ON the mark....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
With the speed of the current game I realise teams look for ways to get every possible advantage, but FFS , how players get away with 2-3 steps off the mark, often taking out the marker is RIDICULOUS.....
The worst that happens 1 out of 50 times is the ref calling - "no mate , come back to the mark to play it"
Shouldn't the players at this level be accountable for getting it right as in - penalty ???
Under 6's get called back for a 2nd chance......
The speed in the ruck is already frenetic & this area is only getting worse & the reason I am most likely blowing up, is the fact Manly don't utilise this loose interpretation at all, yet get shafted in 90% of games right in he ruck.
Maybe the fact we have an older brigade of players, they have the old school art inbuilt & play it by the book, where the younger players have this extra step incorporated into their skill sets at a young age, along with the wrestle in defence.
Theres no secret too see Jake Trjobovic at such a young age, is far better in these areas to his higher profile teammates.....its all about winning this area & the "Stepover" is an immeasurable advantage.
One thing I do know, its bloody frustrating & if those Rabbits get away with it Friday its gunna make it even tougher containing Isaac Luke.
The NRL needs to take a look because its becoming more apparent each week, if you havn't taken notice check out the next game as its in every game, every w/end

With the speed of the current game I realise teams look for ways to get every possible advantage, but FFS , how players get away with 2-3 steps off the mark, often taking out the marker is RIDICULOUS.....
The worst that happens 1 out of 50 times is the ref calling - "no mate , come back to the mark to play it"
Shouldn't the players at this level be accountable for getting it right as in - penalty ???
Under 6's get called back for a 2nd chance......
The speed in the ruck is already frenetic & this area is only getting worse & the reason I am most likely blowing up, is the fact Manly don't utilise this loose interpretation at all, yet get shafted in 90% of games right in he ruck.
Maybe the fact we have an older brigade of players, they have the old school art inbuilt & play it by the book, where the younger players have this extra step incorporated into their skill sets at a young age, along with the wrestle in defence.
Theres no secret too see Jake Trjobovic at such a young age, is far better in these areas to his higher profile teammates.....its all about winning this area & the "Stepover" is an immeasurable advantage.
One thing I do know, its bloody frustrating & if those Rabbits get away with it Friday its gunna make it even tougher containing Isaac Luke.
The NRL needs to take a look because its becoming more apparent each week, if you havn't taken notice check out the next game as its in every game, every w/end
100 percent correct. I hate it the step forward & push the markers back - if the markers don't retreat they get a penalty for slowing the play or sometimes they step around the marker & the marker gets pinged for not being straight. Inglis is a master at it - he doesn't step off the mark he long jumps it.

I couldn't agree more. I hate the step over. I lost the plot last year when Inglis was doing it every tackle.

Equally annoying is when you have three men in a tackle and a big argy bargy wrestle occurs for a good 10 seconds wasting energy and time. The tackled player then just gets up and steps over all the tacklers scattered around the place and retakes all the meters that we fought so hard for and more.

All in the interest of a fast play-the-ball. The speed of the game is effecting the quality of the game. I cannot stand the wrestle, roll around on the ground, lose two players out of the defensive line and have markers not straight, all to save 1 meter.

Manly v Newcastle.....It got pulled up 5 or 6 times during the game.......Ive rarely seen it since

I heard daniel anderson discussing this on the radio a couple of months ago. He said the nrl are not interested in fixing it up because the player doesn't get any benefit because it means by stepping off the mark the defending team get a shorter 10m. Seriously the guy is an idiot, surprised the nrl haven't offered him a job yet, he would fit right in with the other muppets there

What about playing the ball using your foot.. SAM Kasiano NEVER plays the ball correctly he just rolls it with his hands for the quick play the ball..Is this allowed/has the rule changed because the bulldogs are serial offenders in this area and never get penalised for it.

It's not only step over the mark. It's also step over the ball. Watch jwh from roosters. His studs has never touch steeden. All it needs is one penalty but all I hear is warnings from the ref.

It's groundhog day. This thread comes up every 6 months or so. Always two names mentioned, Inglis and Slater....two NRL Koalas who never play the ball on the mark

What about playing the ball using your foot.. SAM Kasiano NEVER plays the ball correctly he just rolls it with his hands for the quick play the ball..Is this allowed/has the rule changed because the bulldogs are serial offenders in this area and never get penalised for it.
True that - seen a try from Dogs Sat night where the dummy half simply dived over - cant even remember who played it but it was a text book touch footy roll....noone even mentioned it & his boot was deadset 20cm from touching the ball.....
as for not seeing the step OFF the mark....every game in most sets of 6....& agree - Inglis exploits it all day - thats why whoever is behind him will ALWAYS run from dummy half
The thing where Anderson says its shortens the defensive line to even things out is a crock as in many cases the refs will stretch an extra 10m from the new mark plus.....the markers are left offside or basically cant get involved which also makes the gates between the A defenders vulnerable & the play the ball an extra second quicker creating carnage in the ruck that aslo has an unfair domino effect on the outside defenders.

On the subject of things....Vossy was saying a few weeks ago that when teams get a penalty the ref's always let the kicker (for touch) run about 3 mtrs in front of the mark.

The game could clean all these things up, but I think they only wanna hit it hard when say oh I dunno..Manly are playing, then they do nothing for the rest of the season.

Even worse is when the players take a couple of steps forwards to the side and the Voldemorts have the nerve to penalise markers for not being square.

It's kind of hard to not argue that 90% of interference in the play the ball doesn't come due standing marks while players constantly push forward looking go for that extra two meters after a tackle is complete.

In last weekends game between Souffs and the Tigers, I can't recall exactly who it was but at one point a Souffs player got up from being tackled....walked past the markers....and played the ball. The Tigers markers appealed to the ref who simply ignored it happening.

Manly v Newcastle.....It got pulled up 5 or 6 times during the game.......Ive rarely seen it since

I remember that. And like you I have rarely seen it since, though I think I did see it last Sunday.

The talk before the season was all about making players play the ball on the mark. The policing of that lasted what, 3 rounds?

Another novel way to fix it would be, as long as the marker has held his ground, he is in play, ie you advance past the marker, he remains onside and can tackle the dummy half, or pick up the ball. Refs would simply call 'Marker in play', or similar when they see it.

I'd like to see someone get five minutes in the bin for repeated infringements, after that happened a couple of times I think we'd see a rapid improvement in the play the ball.

Edit: the NRL *might* do something if Darius's dad has a whinge about it..
True, but it wouldn't hurt if Tooves did a Bennett, and floated the gutz of @maxta thoughts out into the media as subtly as what Bennett does....just enough not to get fined, but enough that the refs may go on a clean-up the ruck campaign, and then claim it as there own strategy (for this weekend anyway)...:wasntme:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4