Play the GF at 3pm NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Its my understanding that under the anti siphoning laws, games like the GF are listed as tier A games and have to be shown live by law. So the NRL could play the game at 3pm or 4pm and have no need to consult 9 at all . That is unless they have agreed to play the game at nines request in the contract. surely they wouldnt have done that

jbb/james said:
Its my understanding that under the anti siphoning laws, games like the GF are listed as tier A games and have to be shown live by law. So the NRL could play the game at 3pm or 4pm and have no need to consult 9 at all . That is unless they have agreed to play the game at nines request in the contract. surely they wouldnt have done that

Is this to do with the Federal Government's legislation that ensures that major sporting events (grand finals, melbourne cups, ashes tests) have to be shown live on free-to-air? If so, I am sure that as long as Nine televise the coverage "live", then they get to decide what time of day it will be played. Perhaps I'm wrong on that..

I’m happy enough with the “day/night” Grand Final set-up, but if the NRL could change it back to 3pm then I’d be happy with that. I don’t think they would though, because ratings are always higher at night and I’m sure the NRL would get a much larger cut out of Nine’s revenue. Both Nine and the NRL have a vested interest in getting the highest ratings possible.

it would be well and truly written in the contract what time it would be on...

Do you lot really expect that whoever wins the rights are not going to demand things like this??

It's a commercial reality, if they put the money up they are not going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts...

Fro said:

Do you lot really expect that whoever wins the rights are not going to demand things like this??

It's a commercial reality, if they put the money up they are not going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts...

I'm hoping that the Independent Commission is strong enough to set the rules, not the other way around. This includes setting the schedule of matches.
The NRL has a salary cap to "make the competition even" yet Brisbane are getting a huge advantage because of the dictates of TV.
Sure, it might mean that the TV rights deal is not as large as if TV was given total control, but so be it. The game must be governed by the IC, and the overall wellbeing of the sport must be its only concern - not rolling over to money and TV networks.

Frankly, I think the standard of play this year has been, on the whole, very low. The competition needs a major overhaul. I don't think the majority of players deserve any more money the way they are performing. This is the first year I have turned off matches because they were boring.

If we don't get some players back and our act together they play it at 3am as far as I am concerned.

Fro said:

The start time ( GF) in the current contract has been random. I thought the 5 week scheduling rule was in the contract too but it has been random. The NRL had a contract to provide the product last year but had no teams signed up to provide it( contract oversight). The anti siphoning laws have changed recently.

Just putting it out there Fro, but thanks for your amazing insight

Maybe the NRL is just weak.There is no way 7 would be able to dictate the times of the races on Melbourne Cup day to the VRC.The last time there was a time change was to suit punters in some Asian gambling place,and I think that has changed back.The NRL should have the guts (or should be given the power) to say "the GFs on at 3pm Sun the ????,and if you dont like those times,we'll put the game up to the highest bidder!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7