Player strike

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
More talk on the radio today, that the players are going to have meeting to decide on a course of action etc.

If they did go on strike, could you keep supporting them ?

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, as it will damage the game hugely, but if it did occur, I will always support Manly, but will lose a massive amount of respect for the Manly guys involved in it

The Manly guys I am sure all want more money however I hope they dont strike.  They should let all the guys talking it up in the paper follow through with their threats, the Manly players will still end up getting the benefits of any resulting cap increase or rep player payments etc but wont look like d!cks. 

Would hate it if they did Garts. I guess the best thing for us is that the leaders of our club seem like good, level headed blokes, Kite, Lyon etc and the guidance from Hasler should put them in the right direction as well

I don't see how a strike, especially if it's long term will help anyone.

In the US apparently Baseball has never recovered from their strike.

A strike would turn fans away from the game, what percentage is hard to say ... but less fans means less merchandise, less tickets bought, less people watching on tv, leading to ultimately less money in the game.

And less money in the game means less money to pay players, how the hell will that benefit anyone.

Brookie4eva link said:
I don't see how a strike, especially if it's long term will help anyone.

In the US apparently Baseball has never recovered from their strike.

A strike would turn fans away from the game, what percentage is hard to say ... but less fans means less merchandise, less tickets bought, less people watching on tv, leading to ultimately less money in the game.

And less money in the game means less money to pay players, how the hell will that benefit anyone.

And thats just it, it doesnt help. This proposed action would cause untold damage to the NRL and I suspect that its simply a design tactic to place the utmost pressure on the NRL in response to the Storm penalties.

Kicking the storm out of the comp may yet become more palatable than trying to retain a victorian presence.

If the players association says strike, then they have to strike, not much they can do about it really.

What the other players that are talking this up dont understand is that the money just isn't there. You can't squeeze blood from a stone, so they will be the architects of their own demise

The players association would have to vote on it i would think.

They wont get much sympathy from me and i cant wait to hear the same line "We only have a limited earnings period". I am now about as old as a lot of players when they retire, the average player playing 12 years would have earnt well over a million dollars more than me in that time. This is easily a normal house and an investment returning $400 a week for the rest of their lives. So all they need to do now is get some easy job paying $800 a week and they are set.

Or do they think working for 12 years and retiring is the normal thing.

Players obviously don't understand that he only way melbourne could afford to this was to steal from News Ltd.

I can't really see any of our players striking (actively) except maybe watmough or perry, if beaver was still here, none of them.

A strike is all that the game needs. It still hasn't fully recovered from the Super League war.

It sounds like they're striking about the wrong thing.  Don't strike for more money, strike for accountability about what happens to the existing money.  50% of it is being funnelled out of the game.

Oh the irony - the Storm's salary bill is up to $6m this year.  $6m seems to be the accepted norm people spruik as a level where players would get their worth.  With the Storm losing money hand over fist, where do they think the money is coming from?  The money News Ltd is channeling out of the game!  It is possible to increase the cap, but not until their is transparency about the game's receipts.

The above is also why I cannot countenance the so-called News ignorance of the Storm cap rorting.  You can hide a rort by minimising a profit, but how is it possible when you're continually requiring a hand-out of up to $6m a year to prop up operations? 

Fluffy link said:
The players association would have to vote on it i would think.

They wont get much sympathy from me and i cant wait to hear the same line \"We only have a limited earnings period\". I am now about as old as a lot of players when they retire, the average player playing 12 years would have earnt well over a million dollars more than me in that time. This is easily a normal house and an investment returning $400 a week for the rest of their lives. So all they need to do now is get some easy job paying $800 a week and they are set.

Or do they think working for 12 years and retiring is the normal thing.
Who says the average player plays 12 years? Average time in NRL is more like 3 years I suspect. And certainly not on huge dollars. The players on minimum wage get whacked just as hard as Lockyer Slater etc. There does need to be changes to players' pay, but the top level wages are not necessarily the issue that is going to provide a rallying point.

There is nothing to stop a league player getting a job once he leaves the game. Retire at 30 after some good money and then work like everyone else and you will do okay. The club looks after a lot of things. I know there is a  cost but the sob stories from some don't ring true to me!

Matabele link said:
It sounds like they're striking about the wrong thing.  Don't strike for more money, strike for accountability about what happens to the existing money.  50% of it is being funnelled out of the game.

Oh the irony - the Storm's salary bill is up to $6m this year.  $6m seems to be the accepted norm people spruik as a level where players would get their worth.  With the Storm losing money hand over fist, where do they think the money is coming from?  The money News Ltd is channeling out of the game!  It is possible to increase the cap, but not until their is transparency about the game's receipts.

The above is also why I cannot countenance the so-called News ignorance of the Storm cap rorting.  You can hide a rort by minimising a profit, but how is it possible when you're continually requiring a hand-out of up to $6m a year to prop up operations? 

Under the independent commission wans't the deal $6 million a year for the storm, oh the conincident!

I don't envy being a RL player. It is not the getting whacked that is hard, it is all the PR events that they attend, best behaviour and enormous expectations that are placed on them. But there are very few early 20s kids getting anything like what they earn, with the top level earning way more than the PM of Australia. A strike would kill the game. Try the working dad and his kids forking out a huge part of his after-tax wages to take them along plus all the jerseys, flags, footballs etc. The players are kidding themselves if they think they will get sympathy from most supporters.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183287.msg262275#msg262275 date=1273570100]

Under the independent commission wans't the deal $6 million a year for the storm, oh the conincident!

[/quote] Exactly.  They take us for schmucks. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2