Players as media personalities

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
Don't think some ex players should be commentating ie
Lockyer - great player but sounds like an angle grinder making love to a cold play cd
Wally - seems fixated on 'dictating terms'
Matt Johns - think he's actually wasting a talent would be a great coach

As in players who I want to commentate games :

1. George Rose - watch him on the barefoot footy show and you'll understand why the bloke oozes charisma and is quite funny

2. Micheal Ennis : Yes I hate the prick but makes sitting through u20s missing tackles bearable

3. Beau Champion : he has commentated previously with the Koori knockout and does a great job of it

RL Gronk said:
Personally I'd like to see Dugan behind the microphone but on after a dozen pineapple cruisers

I can see it lol. It'll go like this:

and there's Raiders coach David Furner blowing up deluxe after their 17th straight lost.
Thoughts Josh?

He's a ****ing **** head that's ****ed this team ever since him and his ****ing brother got back ****ing involved.
**** this I'm going to the pub Ferguson

Hypothetical- If you didn't know Lockyer,
& I came to you & said,
"I think he should commentate on TV"
Once you heard him speak, you'd say,
"This bloke?!! You're joking aren't ya?!!"

More CommentHaterz

Why did Ray Hadley beat off in the vegie garden?

He wanted to be a Cumontater...

Ryan Girdler is good on Triple M's Offload on Saturdays. I think he'd be a good commentator.

Lockyer is pathetic. Johns is poor but seems to be improving. Freddie is occasionally funny. Sterlo is insightful.
But Channel Nein are so blinkered in their approach to calling sport. It's just as bad for cricket, where you only seem to be employed as a commentator if you are an ex-player.
Of the ex cricketers, I think Slatts and Healy are excellent, but the rest are average.

Commentating is an art. Sure, ex-players have an insightful knowledge of some aspects but they must also possess a fairly high command of the spoken language; in our case, English.

After all, they're now professionals. Professionals in the art of speaking.

Can someone in Ch 9 please tell Freddie that 'youse' ain't a word, or to Joey, that he done something, ain't correct!

The Who said:
Lockyer is pathetic. Johns is poor but seems to be improving. Freddie is occasionally funny. Sterlo is insightful.
But Channel Nein are so blinkered in their approach to calling sport. It's just as bad for cricket, where you only seem to be employed as a commentator if you are an ex-player.
Of the ex cricketers, I think Slatts and Healy are excellent, but the rest are average.

I guess everyone has different tastes in commentary

Andrew Johns I find outstanding as a sideline comments man offering opinions on the play

Ian Healy on the other hand, is the worst commentator along with the most biased I have ever heard

My dream commentary team would be Gasnier,Lockyer and Tallis. The dribbler,the mumbler and the moron.

And throw in Geyer for expert gibbering.

Just be grateful that the man in the hairy hat (Daley) is not driving us crazy.

the only one i like listening too is greg alexander. Fairly unbiased and can read a game without trying to be the attraction. I like andrew johns contributions, he has a great read of the game, and he gets the scoop during games as he is respected by the players

Rabbs and gould have both been good, but together are awful.Gould is an analyst not a commentator and should stick to what he does best as he is good at it. Sterlo was the best years back but is now a product of his environment. Channel 9 is to blame for a lot of this

Vossy wasnt too bad until it seemed to go to his head. He was set for a long career until be believed in himself way to much.I think the roast was the beginning of the end, Its a shame really

Warren Boland was always my favorite back in the day,

I think most of them are ok the ones I dislike are
Warren Smith
Brett Kimmorley
Warren Ryan
David the alco morrow

The rest I don't mind. Over at fox Matt Russell and any Raymond are underrated

Kimmorley has transferred his commentary talents to his trainer talents. He's a trainer at the Raiders and they're looking good...LMAO

lismore_fan said:
After all, they're now professionals. Professionals in the art of speaking.

Can someone in Ch 9 please tell Freddie that 'youse' ain't a word, or to Joey, that he done something, ain't correct!

Agree. I know my speech is far from eloquent, but this habit of ending a sentence in "But",
is really poor grammar, but.
Freddy & Joey are the main offenders, but.
It's like ending a sentence in "And"
You're thinking, but what?!!

Adam MacDougall has surprised me. As a footballer I never would have thought he'd have cut it as a commentator, but on the Sunday footy shows he very well spoken & insightful.
Agree with Kiwi. I can't stand Ian Healy. He is ****e. Great wicketkeeper ****e commentator.

18.3.13-Fox Sports League website had a quote from Geoff Toovey saying,
"Newcastle suffered after LOOSING top players". It should read LOSING.
Forgivable when a common Navvy like myself does it, but you'd think they'd get it right.

i hated him as a player and hate looking at the blokes chin as well, but i find myself liking the gaz as a commentator?

wedgetail eagle said:
18.3.13-Fox Sports League website had a quote from Geoff Toovey saying,
"Newcastle suffered after LOOSING top players". It should read LOSING.
Forgivable when a common Navvy like myself does it, but you'd think they'd get it right.

i jumped on fox sports site last night at half time and behind all the headline text promoting LIVE coverage of Manly v Newcastle, was a photo from last years manly / newcastle game (in those white / grey jerseys!). you'd think after 40 minutes they couldve grabbed a photo.

Brookie said:
i hated him as a player and hate looking at the blokes chin as well, but i find myself liking the gaz as a commentator?

really? sounded like a robot last night doing the post match interviews.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6