Players complicit ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You don't have to Einstein to figure out that the official wages paid to players would have to marry up with the cooked books that the Storm presented to the salary cap auditors otherwise they would have picked up on this ages ago. Therefore how did these extra payments over and above the salary cap get to the players ? If the players are receiving payments from two seperate sources or from other parties then they will have a hard time explaining how that didn't ring any alarm bells with them. Obviously this will come out under further investigation, and I'm not suggesting that any player has knowingly participated in the rorting. BUT if it does come out that the certain players were complicit in this cheating than what will kneejerk Gallop do to them ? He suspended Brett Stewart for 4 weeks for breaking the code of conduct for the heinous crime of being allegedly refused service at a bar. What suspension does unethical behaviour such as willingly participating in systemic cheating carry ?? Or isn't that included in the player code of conduct ?

Tonight reports suggested that Fraud had taken place and that criminal charges are possible. It is going to be an interesting few weeks as revelations come to hand.

If some top Storm players signed NRL contracts but were promised and received different amounts to these NRL contract figures, then this suggests they were parties to the salary cap breaches.

And it all would have remained hidden but for the reported whistle-blower.

The Storm are trying to protect the players but the News Limited Chair said in a Press Conference that the cheating related to small amounts ($15000) being handed out at social functions after games. That would suggest that the players were very complicit in what was going on, along with the coach and numerous officials.

This is starting to stink pretty bad and it may well be that certain people need to go down with the ship!!!

Interesting that the Storm players were told on Wednesday what was about to unfold, so whats to say that someone from their players group tipped to a punter for a kickback

blitzkrieg link said:
I'm sure the tax office will have a few questions as well!

I was thinking along those lines too.

Doesn't the NRL have access to the players tax records to check for the Salary Cap Audit each year?  If so and everything has shown that everything was above board then the players would have to had known what was going on with their extra payments not being declared as income.  If the extra payments have not been declared as income then I'm sure that the Taxman will want a piece of the players for tax evasion.

The news chairman said something about hospitality payments.  I suspect the firm with the hospitality contract was paid an over inflated contract and a portion of that was funnelled of to the players. 

Something in one the papers about the books saying there was a 15K payment (or some amount) for a marquee each home game that was actually already part of the ground hire.

That was then funnelled off to other salary club included things.

There’s more to this Storm front than meets the eye

by
Anthony Sharwood

Everyone’s blaming the suits and an assortment of guys with big fancy calculators for the revelations of the Melbourne Storm’s $1.7 million salary cap breaches, which has seen them stripped of two NRL premierships, three minor premierships and a bunch of prize money which they must repay.

It's enough to make your hair turn grey. NRL boss David Gallop yesterday.
And yes, clearly the chief bad guys here are the engineers of the intricate system of book-fudging which has deceived NRL auditors for the best part of five years. But this isn’t a problem like the Murray River, where the problem of the muddy, salty brine downstream can be pinned entirely on the greedy, negligent vandals upstream.

There are others who might consider themselves lucky not to be implicated, and there are broader issues at play which allowed these sneaks to think they could get away with their cheating shenanigans. Here’s a selection:

The players: David Gallop effectively exonerated the Storm players of any wrongdoing at yesterday’s presser.

And coach Craig Bellamy said it’s all just a huge shock to both himself and his players. Righto, fine. But surely, some of the Storm’s stars must have had an inkling they were being paid extremely handsomely, especially in a team with so many stars and so much silverware.

The NRL cap is just $4.1 million, spread between a club’s top 25 players. That’s an average of $164,000 per player. So if you’re receiving annual payments above a certain level you don’t have to be even a distant relative of Einstein to work out you’re on a great wicket.

The Salary Cap itself: Love the cap – in principle. It’s equalising effect is the reason eight different NRL teams jogged a victory lap in the noughties.

In yesterday’s presser, David Gallop said this was not the time to talk about the cap. Nice try, Dave, but it is. The problem with the NRL Salary Cap is not that it’s too low. If it were much more than $4.1 million, the game would be bankrupted, as rugby league treads a fine financial line at the best of times.

But the cap is too inflexible. All sorts of measures need to be brought in that would make allowances for things like player loyalty and family links. So if your dad played for the club, or if you’ve been there eight years or more, your club could get salary cap concessions.

These might only add up to a few hundred thousand dollars a year, but it would be enough to keep the game solvent, and allow successful clubs to keep superstars without cheating.

Sport’s professional era: How ironic. How very ironic that on the day Juan Antonio Samaranch dies, this story unfolds. Samaranch, you’ll recall, was the IOC president who removed the last pretensions of amateurism in the Olympic movement.

This was actually one of his meaningful legacies, as it cleared up a huge, shambolic mess. But it meant that virtually all big-time sport in virtually all countries was now interlinked with big bucks.

Not saying this is an inherently bad thing. But I am saying that the combination of sport and money inevitably lead to outbreaks of Storm-type corruption.

The people of Melbourne: Bit of a long bow here, but if the AFL-obsessed citizens of Australia’s self-professed sporting capital had taken their champion rugby league team to heart, and actually paid them a bit of attention, the potential for legitimate second-party deals might have nipped this whole evil scheme of under-the-table payments in the bud. Just a theory.

The devil: Gods cops a rap for so many of sport’s uplifting moments, we can only assume the other guy is behind this one. As the NRL auditors will tell you, he was last spotted lurking in the detail.

I think the players are in trouble... they received cash .. ever if they had no idea of the bigger picture it is their job to know cash means a problem somewhere along the line.. like laws of the land ..ignorance is not a great defence.
I think it could kill off the Storm ..which is very bad (really!!). They should have done everything they have done except given them some way to earn points this year. i.e. if they could some how get the existing roster under the salary cap (how would you do that ??).

They know players will move on next year so may be they move on know. The total of players salaries to be $700,000. Maybe given to the Sharks til end of year (they are under cap a long way).. save 2 clubs in one move ..ok abit far fetched ..just a though

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8