Players warn Manly: Don’t cut Gifty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
EMOTIONAL Manly players have upped the ante on club officials to keep stalwart Glenn Stewart, using last month’s season launch to personally campaign for the 30-year-old to be retained.

The Daily Telegraph has learned at least two players made their feelings known to general manager David Perry during the 27 February event at Le Kiosk on Shelley Beach.

Read More

EMOTIONAL Manly players have upped the ante on club officials to keep stalwart Glenn Stewart, using last month’s season launch to personally campaign for the 30-year-old to be retained.

The Daily
Glenn+Stewart+izoGyi8pi8im1.jpg
Telegraph has learned at least two players made their feelings known to general manager David Perry during the 27 February event at Le Kiosk on Shelley Beach.

Multiple sources close to the players have confirmed they approached Perry to warn him of the damage Stewart’s release would inflict on the NRL’s tightest playing group.

Stewart was hoping to secure his future prior to last weekend’s opening round, but has been left waiting for word from the Sea Eagles.

The long-running saga has the potential to alienate the senior playing group, sparking emotions similar to those witnessed at Newcastle when favourite son Matthew Johns was forced-out in 2000.

Heavy backloading of Stewart’s current contract has created much of the angst, with all salary cap increase bonuses for the past four seasons falling due this year.

That means Stewart is on the 2014 books for around $800,000.

It’s understood NRL permission was granted to back-end the contracts of Anthony Watmough and Kieran Foran via a similar formula, meaning they will both absorb a huge proportion of Manly’s salary cap next year.

The players have been willing to postpone their biggest paydays in order to keep the nucleus of a side that’s contested four of the past seven grand finals together.

Their sacrifice not only illustrates the tight bond at Brookavle, but has deepened it.

Watmough and Foran, along with fellow stalwarts Steve Matai and Brett Stewart, know they would be opposing forces if not for such unselfish accounting measures. Hence their fierce loyalty to Stewart.

Speaking to reporters less than a week after the season launch, Foran said the club “needs to do whatever they need to do” to keep the 30-year-old.

‘’I think everyone wants Glenn to stay,’’ Foran said.

“He is great for the club not only on [the field] but off it as well. He and his brother have been a huge part of the success over the years. I think the club needs to do what they need to do to keep them here.’’

Stewart is realistic about his value going forward.

There’s been interest from Canberra, but he’s loathe to leave and would be willing to accept less to finish-up on the Northern Beaches.

With the back-ended deals of Foran and Watmough creating another cap headache next year, Manly are struggling to formulate a deal that reflects his standing as a NSW Origin and Australian Test representative.

The Sea Eagles also need to warehouse cash to restock their depleted front row, and co-captain Jason King is also off contract at the end of this year.

Stewart’s manager Mike Newton was unaware of players fronting officials on his client’s behalf when contacted Thursday night.

He also denied any talks had taken place with St George Illawarra.

“I had a productive meeting with Manly two weeks ago and we’re now waiting to hear back,” Newton said.

“We were hopeful of working something out before the start of the season, but it hasn’t happened. There’s no doubt Glenn wants to stay, so we’ll keep working with the club to try and sort something out.”

Perry said he and other club officials had been approached on numerous occasions by several players concerned about Stewart’s future.

When contacted last night, Perry confirmed he and other club officials had been approached by numerous players on numerous occasions with concerns over Stewart’s future.

Josh Massoud

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/manly-players-warn-club-officials-not-to-cut-glenn-stewart-as-salary-cap-reality-hits-home/story-fn2mcuj6-1226852944246

Manly players fight ot keep a friend because of culture. That is something that is not bought (take note scumdogs and bongos).

I hope we keep gift, he still has some years to give and i think it iwll upset snake if he goes.

I like the line "two players made there feelings made", were those 2 players gift and snake :)

Gifty should be signed on merit and not nepotism :cool:

The Salary Cap compliance and the future of Manly are the only priorities.

Gifty does look sleek this year - hope he has another 2011 type year :angel:

You could really tell Gift was struggling with fitness last year after missing the first 5 or 6 rounds.

But he was one of our best last week and has more than proven his value. Let's hope he gets to finish his career at Manly because he still has plenty to offer.

We have to keep him I just put him in my NRL league team. He scored 44 points last week and will get better. Got rid of Gallen. How can we be struggling to keep him while that dogs**t club goes out buying like they've just won $100million.

NRL wants fans to show loyalty by becoming members. At the same time the NRL is doing nothing to take long term one club players out of the cap equation. One day the NRL might finally work it out.

again,I am mystified,we will be struggling with the cap again next year because of backended contracts of other players,but the dogs are doing the same they said the other day,but they continue to keep buying big name players,and resigning their nucleus of their team,but their cap isnt questioned,oh sorry I forgot,thy dont have a cap,and greenburg is the boss now,now it makes sense,NOT,and before its said,they got rid of barba,he is only one player,they have signed to players on big money and are resigning big name players on big money

Moondog said:
I thought was close to our best player last weekend.

I thought so too, but to be fair, who isn't going to play to their potential during contract negotiations?

How is Kingy still on the books at Manly? Kite was forced to leave, as was Rose. Perhaps Gifty as well now.. whereas King hasn't barely played for what seems like two seasons now.

I know he suffered a season-ending injury early in 2013, but what is the hold up now? He must be on good money I would imagine. Lose a few kg's and get on the paddock.

These bleeding back-ended contracts.

They are time bombs just waiting to explode.

Hey NRL where are you on this? You allowed them to be signed but aren't there to help out with expertise in any way, why?

I dont thinks its a case of the club cutting gifty. Everyone knows he is a class act and the club will put forward its best offer to retain him. From then on its up to gifty, or the other players to chuck some of their contract cash at him.

He is a keeper thats for sure and in my opinion should be captain, and would be at any other club

Daddycool08 said:
These bleeding back-ended contracts.

They are time bombs just waiting to explode.

Hey NRL where are you on this? You allowed them to be signed but aren't there to help out with expertise in any way, why?

I have read many times that senior players have taken "pay-cuts" to keep the playing group together. Most notably Gift and Choc during their last contract negotiations. I would like to know whether they were indeed "pay-cuts" or were the players merely - and as the article points out - postponing their big pay-days via back-ended deals?

Without these deals, however, there is no way this team would be together now. No way we could have re-signed DCE, Foz and Choc in a matter of months.

King will retire at the end of this year and perhaps Bhurer may be let go to accommodate giftys re-signing

Whilst I'm sure we all want Glenn to stay on. I'm sure we also want our team to stay competitive....what happened to all the talk regarding discounts for loyal players. Sometimes I wonder whether Greenburg's put in on the back burner because Manly has the greatest amount to to gain and there's virtually nothing in it for his beloved chiwawas.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6